Shimano HG-73 Chain

2.93/5 (42 Reviews)

LX/105 levelShimano 9 speed chain Compatibility: 9 speed Connection: IncludesShimano Pin Weight: 305 grams

Submitted by Tom OConnor

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2013

Strengths:    Longevity

Weaknesses:    Found none

Bottom Line:
Came standard on Spec. Sequoia 2008, 5 years and 7000 miles later. No problems. I do clean and lube after every ride with Gold Chain lube. And try to shift without any load. Also am not a power rider. So either I am lucky or my care and riding style make a difference.

Submitted by Panos

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth shifting and cheap

Weaknesses:    Perhaps it could last a little longer

Bottom Line:
After 3070 km, 80+% offroad, chain was almost 100% worn and replaced. Zero problems during these hard 3000+ km, but... You have to respect your equipment if you are looking for carefree rides. I don't shift under heavy load and I try to keep my chain always clean and well lubricated. Especially during summer conditions, since sometimes I manage to collect almost a tablespoon of dust after a 30 km ride! Not sure if it should last a little longer, but it is cheap enough for what it offers, at least for me.

Submitted by Dan

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2012

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    always breaks!

Bottom Line:
I have never had a Shimano chain that DIDN'T break...sometimes only one half the plate will pop off, the edge of the plate will grab the derailleur arm, and break your derailleur and in most cases bends the hanger.
I don't understand how a drivetrain company can have such crappy chains...
Connex all the way!!!!! Never had one break!!!

Submitted by Nathan a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Strengths:    The HG CN 73 came with my Trek Bike and 2000 miles later I decided to clean it. Removed it from the bike, cleaned with solvent, oiled and replaced. I ride 60 miles a week with 2000 feet of climbing and no skips or missed shifts with my ultegra 9 speed shifters.

Weaknesses:    No Master Link. When removing the chain, you have to be careful not to push the pin too far out or you will never get back into place.

Bottom Line:
I was surprised to see all the bad reviews. I am guessing the bad reviews are a result of poor maintainence, shifters and chain are not matched or superior leg strength while shifting under power.

Submitted by Elmer

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Can't think of any when a chain leaves you stranded.

Weaknesses:    Maybe 50 miles of riding and the chain broke!

Bottom Line:
Grrr

Submitted by Yzingerr a Weekend Warrior from Fremont, CA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2012

Strengths:    Came stock on my bike... ridden snow, mud, dry, rain, desert.. hasnt failed me yet!

Weaknesses:    None that I can see

Bottom Line:
This chain came on my bike.
I have ridden it near and far for over 4 years and it has never had a hiccup.
I use a very light viscosity synthetic motor oil to lube my chains, and they still shine like new (and have 0 rust or kinks).
I would buy this chain again when a replacement is needed!

Similar Products Used:   Unknown models

Submitted by snogfest_hosebeast a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2012

Strengths:    Long lasting

Bottom Line:
Came new with my bike in 2008. I've abused it for 4 years, some offroad, but mostly riding it as my resistance trainer all year round.
I do about 250 kilometres a week.
Awesome.

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 1

Submitted by jpeters a Cross Country Rider from germany

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Stretches fast very springy

Bottom Line:
This chain is not worth the money I had 2 and I got less than 1500 km out of both of them together. So I bought a kmc and this chain for the same price is much stronger. I dont know why you would want to spend the money on this chain when you can get a better one for the same price. I dont think you should buy this one

Purchased At:   Mayers

Bike Setup:   Focus Black Forest Fox32f100 Slx Group Fulcrum redmetal 5 wheels

Submitted by Bret a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Can't think of one.

Weaknesses:    The chain came stock on my brand new Giant Anthem. Damn thing broke on my third serious ride. This chain has no business on any mt bike, let alone the Anthem.

Bottom Line:
Use this chain for coasting downhill only, and you'll be fine.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Stock on GIANT Anthe

Submitted by joeandkaty a Cross Country Rider from Wa, US

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2010

Strengths:    Less expensive than some other chains.

Weaknesses:    It breaks.

Bottom Line:
Chain came stock on this bike. The first chain broke within a year; decided it was time to replace it anyway and bought another one. Has broken twice again this year during street/path riding. The first time I had a chain tool, the second time I didn't. I'm going to try the SRAM PC-991 Crossstep this time and see if it can handle the punishment my 5'2" 115 lb wife dishes out.

Favorite Trail:   Its crowded enough already

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90 WSD - all stock.

Submitted by Marquism1 a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, CA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive, reliable, narrower than SRAM

Weaknesses:    None serious

Bottom Line:
Like a review way down below, I am amused by how these and other chains get unequivocally declared "crap", or "weak" or weaker than other Shimano chains or SRAM or whatever. I've been running these chains for as long as they've been available and have never had a problem. I've ridden at least 10,000 miles in the dirt and on the road every year for the past 25. I've broken exactly one chain (a SRAM)and that was under some fairly extreme conditions, so I didn't automatically conclude that all SRAM chains were crap. I've been a bike mechanic for over 25 years and can say with great certainty that if someone has repeated chain failure, it's never the chain's fault. I can say with same certainty that sometimes chains do break. Some are just defective, but most break due to improper installation or care.

Put one of these down next to a Dura-Ace/XTR chain and compare. The plating on the links is better on the DA/XTR, but they are dimensionally and mechanically identical. The plates are the same thickness, the pins are the same, etc.

I use Shimano 9-spd chains because they're a tiny bit narrower than SRAM, making for a slightly quieter drivetrain. I always use a SRAM or KMC link so I can take the the chain off when I need to. If kept well lubed and cleaned once in a while, the HG-73 is a great chain for a fair price. That means they can be replaced when needed, which is the other key to drivetrain happiness.

Favorite Trail:   If I told you, you'd ride there and I can't have that...

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Every other chain brand

Bike Setup:   Multiple bikes

Submitted by daverh a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2010

Strengths:    I like Shimano gear and have would turn to it if I was not sure about the alternatives.

Weaknesses:    After only about 100km the chain twisted badly. This was during a pretty smooth gear change on an even part of the track, the chain simply twisted between gears and next thing you know it was stuffed. 100kns is pretty pathetic but even so, I would not think much of it except for the other reviews that it has received that make it sound like a pretty weak chain. I would agree.

Bottom Line:
This came standard with the bike so no real complaints but I would have preferred to pay a little extra and get something a little stronger. It is more the hassle of having to go back to the LBS (which is closed by the time I get home from work) and argue my case or even just being out of action until I can get a replacement from anywhere else. Bad Shimano, bad.

Favorite Trail:   Manly Dam

Purchased At:   Bika Addiction

Bike Setup:   Ginat Trance 2010 X2, stock except for the Crossmark tyres.

Submitted by cpsharp67 a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2009

Strengths:    Ha, it's crap

Weaknesses:    Chain snapped after 800kms of commuting to work. Shimano refused to replace it under warranty, so obviously they know their own products are rubbish too

Bottom Line:
A two month old bike and the chain lasted 800 kilometers, not good enough shimano! They obviously couldn't give a rats what consumers think. Maybe it's time I try Campag

Purchased At:   Woolys Wheels

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tri-Cross Sport

Submitted by mtnbiker72 a Weekend Warrior from Republic of Cascadia

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Solid shifting, center punch pins, long lasting, price

Weaknesses:    Shimano needs to come up with a quick link...though SRAM and Connex ones work fine

Bottom Line:
I am surprised at the list of negative reviews on this chain. I'm willing to bet being a former bicycle mechanic (and still doing work on the side) that the chains are not being installed properly with the Shimano replacement pins. The replacement pins are a PITA but a very simple remedy is a SRAM Powerlink or Connex Connector...both of which I have used with success on this chain (I've used two now). The chain has been reliable, smooth shifting, and long term durability has been on par with other at or above its price range. Having broke both PC69 (now the PG971) SRAM chains in less than a year...I would highly recommend it over that chain. I've run HG93 and CN 7701 chains in the past and I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of this chain.

Solid performance, solid value, good overall chain

Favorite Trail:   Stella