Shimano Deore XT Dyna-Sys CN-HG94 Chain

1.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Shimanos new XT-level chain specifically designedTo work withThe Dyna-Sys 10 speed drivetrain.Shimano developed Dyna-Sys withThe goal of increasing rider efficiency.This means closer ratios, smoother shifts, and a more stable pedal stroke. Inner and outer plates have an asymmetrical design for optimum front and rear shifting New design has better mud-shedding capabilitiesThan current chains Directional chain--install withThe logos outside DurabilityThanksTo Zinc-alloy plating Uses sta

Submitted by Aaron R a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2014

Strengths:    Shifts nicely

Weaknesses:    Breaks easily.

Bottom Line:
I recently built 2 bikes with full XT groupsets including this XT Shimano Chain, and I have had this chain break on both bikes. Once on my Niner EMD 9, which has 500 miles on it and twice on my Specialized Camber with 300 miles. I have bought a KMC x10.93, and am hoping for better results. I'm not a rough shifter, I try to have light pressure during shifting, so I really think it's a poorly designed chain. I love all the other XT components, but this chain is terrible.

Submitted by Raymo853 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2012

Strengths:    Durable
Shifts well

Weaknesses:    Cost a bit high

Bottom Line:
I have used this chain for about six months on a 3 by 10 system. It has shown no wear nor stretch in this time. May be a bit expensive but it has caused me no worry. As good as SRAM chains were back when I rode 9 speed. Better than the KMC and SRAM 10 speed chains I used.

Duration Product Used:   6 months/a few thousand miles

Purchased At:   On Line

Similar Products Used:   10 speed SRAM, 10 speed Ultegra, 9 speed SRAM

Submitted by Michael

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    Breaks

Bottom Line:
I rode an entire season using the old Shimano chain for the Dyna-sys without issues (not sure the name) on a Blur LTc. Replaced it with the HG94 this season and it broke on my after about 10 rides. I read reviews about it breaking but didn't think it would happen to me since I don't weight much and never had a chain break on me.
I hope I can still buy the old version of this chain for the dyna-sys. I have a friend that rides a sram chain on his dyna-sys so this whole 'need special chain' might be a gimmick. I fixed this chain with a sram powerlink connector and it seems to be working just fine.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2011

Strengths:    The Dynasys system concept is not bad. I like how the shifters work. Question is... do we need 10 gears 30 speed?

Weaknesses:    The Dynasys 30 gear system is only as good as it's weakest link. In this case it's the chain which has compromised the strength of the chain plates. THE CHAIN HAS BROKEN TWICE ALREADY.

Bottom Line:
I'm replacing the worthless Shimano 10 speed chain with SRAM. Will post results after a number of rides. If you hear any noise whatsoever when using the Shimano 10 speed drive train, CHECK THE CHAIN AS THE PLATE(S) MAY BE FAILING, PULLING APART.
Best to ride with a chain tool and extra link(s). I would give the 10 speed system a better review because I really like the shifters but the chain is a very important part of the system too bad.

Favorite Trail:   dirt 1's

Similar Products Used:   The 9 speed drive train system has never done this.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tallboy XT setup.

Submitted by RIwanski a Cross Country Rider from san diego, ca, US

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    No powerlink available for it, and it broke within only a couple of rides! This is the worst chain ever! I am considering switching all together to sram 2x10 drivetrain because I dont want to keep investing in $50 chain replacements all the time. Thie worst part is, because its SPECIFIC for the 3x10, you CANT USE ANOTHER CHAIN!!!! Im so frustrated!

Bottom Line:
DONT BUY THE NEW 3x10 XT. Not worth the money. TOO new TOO many problems.

Purchased At:   complete with bike

Bike Setup:   11' Yeti ASR-5 C with 3x10 XT, 11' Fox Talus 120/150, custom Mavic wheelset, and DT SWISS REAR 12x142.

Submitted by mountainbobb a Cross Country Rider from boiling springs pa

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2011

Strengths:    shifts great

Weaknesses:    weak, real weak

Bottom Line:
Have been through 2 chains and repaired both of them several times. I get about 15-10 hrs on them before they give out. my 13 year old son is going through them at the same rate. We ride a lot of steep climbs and ride hard. but I have never had failures like this before. I hope shimano gets there sh#t together because the 3x10 has some great performance qualities.

Favorite Trail:   michaux

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   sram 9's on shimano drivetrains

Bike Setup:   Indy Fab 29er, fox forks, thompson stem and post, xt

Submitted by kent a Racer from Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2010

Strengths:    Light. Its XT!

Weaknesses:    Weak chain, worn out only 3 days.

Bottom Line:
Were having this 3 days trip riding up a very steep mountain continuously for 8 hours for 3 days on my S-epic. It was muddy trails, wet and few rocks around. On day 3 the chain skips and made harsh rubby sound against the cassette. Then it skips pretty badly on the last uphill ride on day 3. I was on easy gear on the smallest chaining and the biggest cassette all the way. I checked the chain that seated on the chainring tooth noticed it was floating with a gap between the tooth indicating it was all worn out pretty bad. Went back to local bike shop next day suspecting them installed a worn out chain but no foul play present since i bought as new combo XT Dyna 10spd. So i got a replacement and went riding again few weeks later. Once again it chain did it but that was 4 days later. WTF!! I realized that the new hg 10spd chain is way thinner than my old 9spd and too light to be called durable for my riding style. I guess thats the price having 10spd on mtbs. Guess what i back to 9spd on XTR today because 10spd was a gimmick! Bought 3 sets of 9spd chain and cassette fear it might wipe out by 10spd market junk! I don't called it improvement but those fast worn out chain strategy was a profitable way to make quick buck for the supplier.

Favorite Trail:   Hills

Similar Products Used:   All Shimano chain from 8 to 10 spd.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic with new XT Shimano Dyna 10 Spd, Fox shoxs, Mavic Cross Max, Thomsons.