Shimano CN-HG72 Chain

1.83/5 (63 Reviews)

Shimano CN-HG72

Submitted by Neal from Severna Park, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2008

Strengths:    Very quite, smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Chain came standard on my Trimuter Big Wheel and I have put over 10,000 miles on in 2.5 years and no signs of wear. I lube every other month and clean twice a year. Most of my riding is on paved rail to trail paths. Had same chain on a BikeE CT and had over 20,000 miles and no problems.

Purchased At:   Trimuter

Bike Setup:   Trimuter Recumbent Tadpole Trike

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    Strond, does what a chain is designed to do.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This chain came stock on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk and I've put a little over 9,000kms on it by December 10,2006.
It got a little rusty 2 times - 1x after getting caught in a rain burst when I was only 10mins from getting home and 1x after washing my bike and being distracted from drying the chain. I used WD-40 on it and it solved the rust issue.
I'll be using this bike to start my 2007 cycling season in March, just as soon as all the snow & ice have melted away.
Bottom Line: The same Shimano quality as the IG-31 & IG-72 chains I've used in the past.

Purchased At:   Stock on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk - Earl's Cycle (closed 2003)

Similar Products Used:   Whatever came stock on my 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn, IG-31, IG-72.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.

Submitted by Justin Wright a Weekend Warrior from Murray, KY USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Strengths:    Looks very nice, has good action, until it breaks.

Weaknesses:    Once it breaks it is no good. The specific replacement pins are a pain in the ass.

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money. while this product did work well for about 3 weeks, and admittedly I did ride it pretty dirty on the first time it broke, it is impractical for any on the trail repair

Favorite Trail:   LBL

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   This is the first "quality" chain I have ridden on.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher big sur, shimano drive system

Submitted by michael reid from scotland

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Strengths:    it is made of metal, at least, and it is only good for light riding

Weaknesses:    it slips and pops on the feewheel and chainring, which hurts, and has an alarmig tendency to snap and twist and get loose links and bend.

Bottom Line:
this chain is just a normal, below average chain-until it gets stressed. i used it for light riding for 2 years then it got harder and it snapped often. so, i gave it to my brother and he snapped it within a week.

Purchased At:   bobs

Similar Products Used:   singlespeed thick, strong chain

Bike Setup:   ghetto, rst, promax, singlespeed

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    Only that when it's new it works and it's not stretched.
Cheap - I think.
Good for grandma

Weaknesses:    I read in these reviews a lot of people braking chains.
This hasn't borken on me, but it has strectched. ALOT!!

Bottom Line:
I won't tell you how much it's stretched, it's shameful. I hadn't been keeping an eye on it.
I've just finished rebuilding my bike yesterday with the Shimano XT disc brake system, front & back, and while I was getting my wheels built @ my LBS, I thought, why not, "through a new cassette on there while ya at it"
Anyway, the day after I put the order in for the new wheels, I thought I'd better check the drivetrain properly while everything was apart. The chain was as I said, shameful.
So, now I'm reaplacing my middle and granny rings to go with the new chain, so they all live peacefully.

Maybe a rubber band would have been better?????
(actually, last week I saw a belt driven bike)

Similar Products Used:   Installed a Wipperman Connex yesterday. I'll report on that after a while.

Bike Setup:   XT this and that
Manitou something or other
Mavic big round thingys

Submitted by Sean Barrett a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2003

Strengths:    good to use as a chain whip sort of

Weaknesses:    well it nearly took my life when it snapped at nant mawr quarry and i hit my head off a tree decimating my troy lee helmet .it is crap!!!

Bottom Line:
this is S**T and is a hazard to your life do not buy unless you like hospitals and are bored with bo**cks!!!

Favorite Trail:   eastridge

Purchased At:   sainsburys

Similar Products Used:   sapagetti plastcine elastic bands (all better)

Bike Setup:   raleigh,mag julies,deore,d321,maxxis high rollers,DMR saturn

Submitted by Tomek Recko a Cross Country Rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2003

Strengths:    You are kiding?

Weaknesses:    Everthing!

Bottom Line:
The worstes chain i've ever had. I replaced him after 700 km! A soft and bad chain. Don't buy!

Favorite Trail:   I Warsaw?

Purchased At:   Pro Shop

Similar Products Used:   Kmc, Sram pc59

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Tasajara, clip pedals, Avid 2 breakes.

Submitted by Gautam Bose a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2003

Strengths:    It's a chain

Weaknesses:    Very flimsy

Bottom Line:
Seems very flimsy indeed. The first one came with my bike, and I experienced major shifting problems the first time I went out on a trail, 1 week after I got it. It seems my small ring was bent, as was my chain -- not clear which caused which.

LBS (Ultimate Bicycle -- a terrific shop if you're in Charlotte) replaced it under warranty. Seemed OK for a while. But recently I took my bike in for poor shifting, and it seems my chain was worn out. Paid $25 this time.

I don't ride as much as I'd like to -- maybe 15-20 miles a week, and don't ride hard -- no jumping or anything v stressful. I weigh 140lbs -- shouldn't strain anything.

I won't buy another of these...

Favorite Trail:   Col Francis Beatty

Purchased At:   LBS - Ultimate Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   God knows -- I've never noticed chains before..

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500

Submitted by Geo Paturalski a Weekend Warrior from Signal Mountain, TN

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Strengths:    Shifted fine.

Weaknesses:    Broke after about 5 rides of 9-10 miles. I was in a pretty low gear heading up a fairly steep incline and it just popped. What's up with that?

Bottom Line:
While I'm a Clydesdale, this is not acceptable performance for an - almost new - chain. Woof.

Favorite Trail:   Edwards Point

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   GT I Drive 2.0

Submitted by Arne a Weekend Warrior from Norway

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Strengths:    Strong

Weaknesses:    Not that i know of...

Bottom Line:
I dont know if my chain i different form the others... (it looks like it). Well, I have been ridin this chain for 2 1/2 year now, summer and winter, sun and snow, 5 to 7 days a week. I ride min 100km and max 300km every week. I am quiet heavy (85kg) and have strong legs (do heavy squats 2 times a week). I gess that it means that the chain have often been under a lot of stress.

It have never broken and worked just fine! In the last months the chain have becomed streched and needs to be replaced.

Purchased At:   come with bike

Similar Products Used:   KMC9000

Bike Setup:   LX-mix

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Flag AZ

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Strengths:    well i guess it shifted ok, untill it broke

Weaknesses:    it broke i think on the third ride on a flat peice of trail. then it broke on just about every ride after. it also sucks that you have to use new pins every time you fix it.

Bottom Line:
crap. buy this chain unless you ride youre bike

Favorite Trail:   the ones on MT. elden

Purchased At:   shop

Similar Products Used:   pc 69

Bike Setup:   iron horse with cool stuff

Submitted by Jervis a Cross Country Rider from Illinios

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    Comes with replacement pins. Average in weight.

Weaknesses:    Price for quality, quality of steel used

Bottom Line:
Don't buy one. I had it for about two months and it stretched. This was during the summer when I rode the stupid thing like once every two weeks for like 6 or 7 miles. I weigh 185 pounds, but I did all the riding in Central Illinois, which is not known for it's massive hills. It got to the point where when I was in my small cogs in the back the chain would skip becasue it was so stretched out. I got a PC69 from Nashbar and it's lasted me 3 months already and is showing no signs of wearing out. It doesn't have the tendency to corrode as easily either. Go anything but Shimano!

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Sram PC69

Bike Setup:   Trek 9900 Custom Duke XC

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Gulfport, MS

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Strengths:    Its a strong chain as long as you don't have to remove any pins.

Weaknesses:    Pins are a pain in the a$$ to replace and when you do replace them...even with the special pins that snap off. The chain just isn't very reliable. I've had too many times where its come apart.

Bottom Line:
shimano is a great company for derailleurs, shifters..etc. But not on the chains.