Shimano CN-HG53 Chain

• Super-narrow
  • Precision construction

Submitted by Matthew

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2013

Strengths:    Descent shifting

Weaknesses:    extremely weak

Bottom Line:
Horrible chain, broke after my 3rd ride. This is the 1st time I've ever broken a chain, it came standard with my new bike. Once it has broken, any fixes are very temporary, it just breaks again immediately. Might be ok for road, but never for mtb.

Submitted by Mark

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Strengths:    The chain was on the bike when it bought it five years ago. The bike has completed numerous hundred mile sportives and training rides with NO problems. It has been cleaned and lubed once or twice per month. I have only just replaced it due wear.

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
N/A

Submitted by Adam Becher

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2012

Strengths:    6,000 km with no problems at all

Bottom Line:
Mounted on Merida road bike. Shifting all the the time. Lot of ascends. I've read a lot of reviews talking about broken chains. I just can't believe it. Mine is 6,000 km, replaced because of wear. No damage to chainrings or cassette.

Submitted by Dennis a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    Inexpensive. Functional. Lasts.

Weaknesses:    Must use power link. A few grams heavier.

Bottom Line:
I bought this chain and just as many have found, it breaks. Breaks often and break easily. After some experimentation I found that the chain always broke at the link where I rejoined it using a chain tool. So, in an effort to solve the problem I decided to read the instructions that came with the chain. The instructions say that you are NOT to break and rejoin the chain at a rivet that has a little circle in the middle. What I found confusing is that every link on the chain uses a rivet like this. I proceeded to call a few LBS and asked for suggestions and they were stumped as well. My ultimate and current solution is to use a power link. Chain gives me zero problems now. I race with these chains on my MTN, road and cross bike. I use this chain on my commuter and on all of my wifes race bikes with no problems. At about 1/3 the cost of most chains, it just makes sense.

Submitted by ant0 a Cross Country Rider from Bracknell, UK

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2011

Strengths:    Fast shifting, light

Weaknesses:    Weak

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this chain. I'm a big fan of Shimano parts however in my experience their chains are junk. Far too weak, I did mine in after 3 months and some commuting / 5 hard offroad rides. Fixed it up and it went a week later (different link!)

I've used a near bog standard KMC chain (cant remember model) but it is strong, works well with Shimano XT drivetrain. It may be slightly heavier but realistically is it going to make a difference in the real world? Pushing a bike back through a forest with night closing in isn't too fun!!

Similar Products Used:   KMC

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Primo 06, XT drivetrain

Submitted by timxyz a Cross Country Rider from China

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth shifting if gear changing tuned properly. (Shimano SLX)

Weaknesses:    OEM made in China not same quality as original.

Bottom Line:
I’m based in China as I work here. Bought MTB from Giant Dealer and chain come with the bike. It’s Shimano CN-HG53. I use bike for touring and I did 1050km on tarred road. Chain has never seen mud and grit. I’m very particular about shifting gears and always keep chain as straight as possible. After 1050km chain measured with vernier caliper over 6” and show 1mm stretch. I guess 500km more before replacing with new chain. Very disappointing. Next chain will be only made in Japan.

Favorite Trail:   Various

Purchased At:   Giant Dealer

Bike Setup:   Giant MTB XTC 790 9 speed 2011

Submitted by coeumo a Weekend Warrior from Tenino, WA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
Broke twice on my SECOND ride. Very disappointed in the quality of this chain. This is on a new 2009 Kona Caldera, chain came stock with the bike. I didn't expect to be the one dropping a chain yesterday, since I had the newest bike. If you're running this chain, you better bring a chain tool.

Favorite Trail:   Green Line 6

Submitted by Warpig a Cross Country Rider from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
After 3500 km of use, 80% road, 20% cross country, the chain is getting close to 1/16" stretch. I don't think that's too bad. Maintenance is lubing every 2nd ride with White Lightning Epic and washing with degreaser every month or so. I guess there's plenty of people who abuse their stuff more than I do: the chain's going to outlast the front derailleur and I've had no problems with it at all. Unless you're over 90 kg or are mechanically insensitive this chain will get the job done.

Favorite Trail:   Manly dam

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   HG50

Bike Setup:   2007 Kona Cinder Cone, stock. Maxxis Ignitors (CC) or Detonators (road)

Submitted by Alberto a Racer from Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2009

Strengths:    Non so far

Weaknesses:    Super weak

Bottom Line:
Never buy this chain. It was brand new. I used it 7 times. I cleaned it and greased it correctly after each ride. Today the chain broke 3 times and could fine no logical explanation because I was pedaling in 1-2 or 1-3, shifted before the climb started and as soon as I put some strength to my pedaling the chain broke...

Similar Products Used:   other regular chains

Bike Setup:   stock except for the shimano pedals and the slx rear derrailor.

Submitted by fabcira a Weekend Warrior from Sheffield, UK

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Weaknesses:    it broke after 6 months and when inspected it was damaged in several places: it had split in several places, not the pins or other, the different part of the chai. I had another new bike stolen before this one and the same chain broke twice in 3 months.

Bottom Line:
the shop is insisting this is not covered by the bike warranty claiming I should have lubed it more often. I use to lube it once a week and I just use the bike for 15 minutes a day to go to work, hardly hard work. The shop claims I should have done it every day. That is unacceptable to me.

Favorite Trail:   Endcliffe

Purchased At:   came with the bike

Submitted by scottb32 a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive
Strong

Weaknesses:    Shimano Pin is tricky - check after install

Bottom Line:
These chains are fine. I broke two SRAM 9-speed chains after extensive use (500+ miles on a tandem) so I switched to the HG53 because of my previous experience with Shimano chains. I'm a SRAM fan, but I believe Shimano makes a better chain for the $. Tandems can eat chains - so I replace every 1,000 miles or so (I also check for stretch). When you put the connector pin in - pay attention and verify from both sides that it is properly seated (flex chain side to side, rotate & inspect). I'm very skeptical of reviewers who break a chain on the first day. I've broken 4 chains - none on the first day (2 were SRAM 2 were Shimano). Truth is - I just wore them out. You need to install correctly, lubricate, and monitor stretch.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Ridge

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   SRAM

Bike Setup:   1 Tandem and 1 Spec FSR

Submitted by italiastraps a Cross Country Rider from Marina, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2009

Strengths:    Price, Compatibility, Stands up to abuse

Weaknesses:    None I can see if installed correctly

Bottom Line:
I noticed my stock KMC chain was starting to tweak at the master link. I ran down to the local REI, grabbed a Shimano HG-53 (all they had) and installed it. I have ridden the chain HARD for a few hundred miles now in sandy conditions with no issues and continued smooth shifting. The switch to the HG chain made the XT drivetrain smoother than it was at day one with the KMC. I think a lot of the criticism HG chains get is probably due to improper installation. I’ve installed them incorrectly myself and paid the price. Once you are familiar with the installation, and are careful not to tweak things with the chain tool, its no problem.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ord Trail 50

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   KMC 9200, Other Shimano HG Chains

Bike Setup:   Ibex Asta Pro with XT Drivetrain

Submitted by matthew13sanderson a Downhiller from Richmond Hill

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2009

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    brakes easy, not a good chain at all

Bottom Line:
this is a horrible quality chain. i have had it for about a month and it has broke 2 times already. first time a pin poped out. i went and bought a master link and about 2 weeks later another one poped out again. lucky i found another pin and used a chain tool to put it back in about (this was about a week ago).... i am now currently waiting for it to break again. if your going to buy a chain i highly suggest you do not buy this one.

oh and btw i wasnt even doing any hard riding i was just taking it out for a spin and it broke....both times.

Favorite Trail:   bogie