Shimano CN-7701 Chain

3.43/5 (21 Reviews)
Weight : 304 grams MSRP : $33.98

Dura-Ace, XTR 9-speed chain. Precision construction maintains shifting response with narrower 9-speed chain width.

Submitted by Dejan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2014

Strengths:    Nothing.

Weaknesses:    Weak as butter.

Bottom Line:
What a horrible peace oh sh**!!! I have read about this chain after have purchased it, stupid thing from my side, I admit that, should have read reviews before purchase, but I'got attracted by very low price for XTR chain and it turns out that I threw money away. Anyway, high percentage of reviews said that chain breaks to easily but I thought they must be the real racing people with a strength of a horse, thought it won't happen to me and a first ride after installing and after only one kilometer of ride chain breaks on a strait line (rocky tough) without even putting much of an effort to the pedals, one of the pins cracked and it wasn't even at the connecting point (have installed removable link there), I mean c'mon!!! In the last 19.000 kilometers of bike ride on same bike never happened to me with the cheaper chains and I thought I couldn't go wrong with the one of the "best" Shimano chains and it turns out I couldn't be more wrong!!! I MEAN AFTER ONLY ONE KILOMETER!!!!! Duct tape would've last longer!!!

Favorite Trail:   Various singletracks

Duration Product Used:   Five minutes

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, LX, Deore

Bike Setup:   Haibike Q FS RX 2009

Submitted by RPaul

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2013

Strengths:    Works. Most of the time, anyway.

Weaknesses:    Strength

Bottom Line:
A chain's a chain - got it from CRC for a song, so nothing to complain about. Works just fine and everything would be rosy, but I did manage to break it.
Some reviewers suggest that I - and the others with broken 7701s - learn how to link a chain, but all I can say, apart from mentioning up and yours, or discussing snot and ad hominem condescension in reviews, is that I've been linking chains for 15 years now, and never had anything breaking on me; until now, that is.
And the circumstances weren't particularly strenuous, by the way. So I don't know. We'll see how it goes.

Submitted by Shady

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, smooth chain

Weaknesses:    a bit expensive

Bottom Line:
All you people saying this chain "breaks" need to learn how to install a chain. It is critical you allow about 0.5mm of pin sticking out on either side or yes, the outer plate will slide off. So what if you have ridden for 10 years or whatever...learn how to let your LBS do their job or learn how to do it right yourself

Submitted by jspell

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2012

Strengths:    Never had a propblems with these chains

Weaknesses:    None, well maybe a little expensive if you pay retail

Bottom Line:
This is my choice of chains never had a problem and they last very well.

Submitted by mcshaner2k a Weekend Warrior from easton pa

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2011

Strengths:    Looks shiny and high end... It came on a bike I bought and I thought wow thats a nice chain!

Weaknesses:    It sucks, Broke twice and busted my A** both times.

Bottom Line:
I've been using $11.00 walmart Bell 3/32 bike chains for the last few years on 4 of my bikes. Not one has broken and I ride aggresive!

I can't believe this chain broke twice on me.

I read the reviews on this chain with my droid while I was waiting for my wife to pick me up broke down on the side of the trail.. NO JOKE!

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   Single speed cannondale 1fg

Submitted by The Dread Pirate Roberts a Weekend Warrior from IL

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Strengths:    Nothing comes to mind.

Weaknesses:    Snapped under exceedingly normal riding conditions (groomed trail) in the middle ring... not sprinting... gradual, predictable climb.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden long enough to make an effort to shift appropriately and I'm very good about maintaining my gear. Our only good trails are dry-use only, which I respect, so this chain has never seen mud. I've never broken a chain so quickly in eleven years of riding. Regrettably, I switched from an older SRAM chain to this model to see if there were any shifting benefits in conjunction with my XT rings. Nothing magical, and obviously not as durable as similar SRAM products. I have no complaints about XT components per se, and have used them with no issues for years. That said, I will not be purchasing another Shimano chain.

Favorite Trail:   Muir

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   SRAM , XT (CN-HG93)

Bike Setup:   08' Trance, XT (M760) Drivetrain, Reba Team (Maxle), Thomson Post & Stem, WTB Saddle & Tires.

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2010

Strengths:    -Smooth shifts
-Quick link compatible
-Affordable

Weaknesses:    Short lifespan, compared to SRAM PC-991 Hollowpin.

Bottom Line:
This chain ran the first 1900 miles on my road bike. It worked reliably and completed a few road centuries, before bringing it to my MTB. 400 miles later - I am getting bad chainsuck...and I am a smooth shifter, who cleans my parts after each ride. I previously put well over 4000 miles on my SRAM PC991 Hollowpin over two full seasons and it NEVER chainsucked ONCE!

The Shimano CN7701 on the road is fine. The design of this chain HATES dirt of any kind. The SRAM and KMC chains are far superior and lighter too. It's time Shimano re-design this decades-old design, for us remaining 9-speeders who refuse to, or cannot afford 10-speed drivetrains!

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park (24 Hours of Adrenalin course)

Purchased At:   Pasadena Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC-991
KMC X9SL

Bike Setup:   19-pound Cannondale race hardtail

Submitted by mattyfresh a Racer from Huntington Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2010

Strengths:    Light, shifts well

Weaknesses:    Weak

Bottom Line:
I just built up a new all mountain bike which can also race light downhill or even 4x. This chain worked great for any trail conditions. Shifted quickly/quietly/accurately. Took it to Fontana for some downhill racing - SNAPPED the chain getting out of the start gate. End result, great for trail riding / too weak for gate racing.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Sram

Submitted by Davidlovesmountainbiken a Weekend Warrior from springfield, OR USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    It's XTR so good for the ego, lighter then some I guess

Weaknesses:    Breaks easy. Mine broke twice before I scrapped it for a Scram. Today riding up Mt. Spokane a dude was on the side of the trail with his new XTR chain that had just broke. Never had a problem before with chain linkage. Thinking that the lightweight/durability ratio is way off on this one.

Bottom Line:
Probably good for racing though for technical climbing and demanding situations requiring a ton of shifting and tork it's not the chain to use. Worth a little extra weight for the durability of an XT or LX or Scram. This is the only XTR product I've ever had a hard time with.

Favorite Trail:   Favorite position?

Purchased At:   Life Cycles in Eugen

Similar Products Used:   XT, LX and Sram

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT with all the best stuff.

Submitted by lebikerboy a Weekend Warrior from North Van

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Strengths:    Shifts well, seems stronger than other brands I've used.

Weaknesses:    No quick link.

Bottom Line:
I've used Dura Ace chains on my road bike (10 speed) so
I thought I'd give the 9 speed version a try on my mountain bike. Glad I did!

Similar Products Used:   Sram/Wipperman/Rohloff/Shimano

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tazmon,XTR,Raceface,Chris King, etc.

Submitted by sutty86 a Cross Country Rider from tasmania australia

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    seems to be strong and durable

Weaknesses:    doesnt have a quick connector link standard

Bottom Line:
I have been through 3 sram chains and this is my 2nd xtr, I seam to get alot more life out of the xtr that the sram.
I always use the sram powerlink to join the xtr chain and it works fine!

Favorite Trail:   stubbs road

Purchased At:   crc

Similar Products Used:   sram

Bike Setup:   raceface cranks, xt cassette, sram xo rear mech

Submitted by Montytian a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Strengths:    strong

Weaknesses:    top quality chain no weaknesses at all.

Bottom Line:
strong and never break off(used to break off 3 KMC chains in a month when I was in high school.)

Similar Products Used:   KMC, Shimano CN73, CN93

Bike Setup:   Orange evo2

Submitted by augustiner a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte NC

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2008

Strengths:    Its a chain

Weaknesses:    Cant reuse a pin

Bottom Line:
I replaced the SRAM that came on my bike with this thinking it was great. Sized it one link too short, and so had to add another link back in. Silly me, I used the link that was already used once...climbing uphill the chain snaps. Ok, maybe my fault...heres what I really dont like. Get back from a ride a week ago and notice that one of the links is popping off...hasnt snapped yet, but not rideable, and this link i never messed with...not cool...I havent usually snapped chains so this is strike two.

Favorite Trail:   Reddish Knob