Home | Reviews | Chain | Sachs

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)

Sachs PC-41

Submitted by Jimbo a Weekend Warrior from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2007

Strengths:    Works good

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Still have this on my bike, although I have since snapped my old giant (was my around town hack that turned into my only bike 6 years back) and it's on my latest rig as I'm slowly getting a new drive-train together. Sweet as chain for me.

Favorite Trail:   Days Bay

Purchased At:   Came on my '97 Giant ATX-870

Bike Setup:   Coyote Ultralite frame, Manitou Sherman Slider Plus 170mm forks, Diatech Anchor Discs

Submitted by Kevin a Downhiller from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2005

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    links break easily, chain kinks easily, does not ride smooth,not overly light, overall i liked my sram much better

Bottom Line:
overall i thought it would be a good chain at first but then i noticed it was kinking and i couldnt fix it. then i was accelerating one time and it broke. i have used it for about 2 weeks now and i'm going back to my sram. p.s. still better than shimano chains.

Favorite Trail:   22 at bromont

Similar Products Used:   sram, kmc, shimano

Bike Setup:   oryx dd66, 38 tooth chainring with e13 guide, shimano xt rear derailer, lx shifter, sachs chain

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2001

Strengths:    Inexpensive, Easy to remove/install/repair, Relatively Tough

Weaknesses:    Strength (at least for a 250+ lb rider)

Bottom Line:
Actually PC-48 (2000 Model) This model has been pretty good. I've gone through 2 in the last 10 months. The first one worked pretty well, I think it broke once. Then about 6 months in it started loosing bearings right and left (sometimes 3 in a 5 mile ride). This may be due to the fact that the bearings are softer than Shimano Chains, but has the positive effect of sparing your driveline. The first chain died in a Crank Failure (Small ring folded, as I said above I weigh over 250 lbs and ride relatively hard). I replaced it with another PC-48. 3 weeks later I snapped the chain twice on a grueling 13 mile ride in Texas. It is very possible that these two failures were due to mis-shifts. I also had several stiff links which I was unable to fix with a chain tool so it is a little short and I am replacing it after 1 month with a PC-68. Hopefully it will be a little stronger. I just hope SRAM doesn't have any more Hydrogen Embrittlement Problems in the Nickle Plating process. I would definitely recommend this chain for lighter riders. I will see how the PC-68 performs with my heavy self.

Favorite Trail:   anything with big rocks or downhill

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano IG

Bike Setup:   Hardtail GT, XT Front Der, LX Rear Der, IG 7 speed cog, LX (older) Crank

Submitted by Peter from Laramie, WY

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive, it works as good as any other chain

Bottom Line:
I keep my drivetrain components (e.g. - chain rings and cassette cogs) virtually indefinetly, but I replace my chain about twice a year (spring and fall). If you replace your chain frequently (before it has stretched/worn appreciably), it will preserve your other components and provide you with great shifting. I figure about $20 a year on chains is pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of bicycling expenses. The PC-41 chain works just as well as anything more expensive.

Similar Products Used:   I don't remember when I didn't use a Sedisport chain

Bike Setup:   Two wheels, two pedals, 3 chain wheels, 8 cogs, one chain...

Submitted by Jan a Weekend Warrior from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2000

Strengths:    very strong, easy to mantain, cheap

Bottom Line:
I`ve been using Sachs PC41 chain for 2 years and so far no problems with it. I tried some similar products like Shimano IG 31 (piece of crap), but no other chain beats my Sachs. Driving is smooth and very quiet. I`m a casually rider and I think for my purposes this chain delivers very much. After 3000 km the chain looks like new. For an ordinary (not extreme) rider this is an excelence choice.
Well done SACHS!!!

Purchased At:   it comes with a bike

Similar Products Used:   shimano Ig 31

Bike Setup:   gt backwoods, stx rc drivetrain, deore derailleurs

Submitted by Rob from Isle of wight

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Strengths:    strong v-cheap good lotting shifts well. powerlink dosn't seem weak. it suvived being crushed 5 times between by bashring and a wall!

Weaknesses:    my chain seems to rust whaterver lube i use

Bottom Line:
top product buy lots as they don't last forever, but are the best you can get for the cash

Purchased At:   wight mountain

Similar Products Used:   shamano chains, streached too easy.

Bike Setup:   trials

Submitted by Sherman a Weekend Warrior from British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Strengths:    Strong
Powerlink
Price

Bottom Line:
This is a great chain for the price. I read somewhere that this is not for hardcore use or something but I use it for all types of riding and it works great, I have not broke it yet and since they are so cheap I bought a mess of them.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano
Sachs 55 level chain

Bike Setup:   FSR
Norco

Submitted by Joe (Radar) a Racer from OH

Date Reviewed: December 3, 1999

Strengths:
It's the best product there is, and the powerlink, cost, long life, smoothness, shifting quality and price is cool too.

Weaknesses:
Absolutely none.

Bottom Line:
The best chain there is, save for the higher end power chains. You can find it for $10-$12 mail order or about $16 at a LBS. The power link is totally reliable, and if you happen to break the chain in the race you can connect it very quickly again with another powerlink which is so small you could put it any where.By the way, this chain lasts at least twice as long as Shimano chains, you could probably get about 1000-2000 off road miles with it.5 StarsRadar

Vulture's Knob

6 months

Shimano IG 31
KMC Z chain

I've used it with DNP and Shimano freewheels. Shimano chainrings, Acera rear derailleur. (SRAM Grip Shifters)

Submitted by Jimbo a Cross-Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1999

Strengths:
inexpensive, masterlink is great, works with Shimano drivetrain

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is: This chain works just as well with a Shimano drivetrain as a Shimano chain and the masterlink makes it much easier to remove, clean, and replace. And it cost $6-$8 less than the IG-70 I ussually purchase. If a Shimano junkie like me praises this Sachs product, it must be good

tapeworm

3 months

Shimano IG-70, blahblahblah

LX crankset and front derailleur, XTR rear derailleur, and XT shiters