Home | Reviews | Chain | KMC

KMC Z9000 Chain

2.12/5 (26 Reviews)

The super narrow 6.6 mm KMC 9-speed chains are compatible with all popular road and off-road 9-speed derailleur systems. All three models feature the extra strength and durability of KMC's exclusive Bull's-eye Pin Riveting and our StretchProof heat treatment and materials package. A special black assembly pin has been pressed into the end link for installation.

Model Z9000 Chain Specifications:

• Primary Features: StretchProof, Bull's-Eye Pin Riveting
  • 1/2" x 11/128" Super Narrow
  • Pin Length: 6.6 mm.
  • Pin Power: Min. 200 kgf.
  • Tensile Strength: 1050 kgf.
  • Finish: Dark Silver / Brown
  • Compatible Bikes: 9 pcs cassette sprocket
  • Weight: 305 g / 116 Link

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2014

Strengths:    Just over 2 years and 1,000 miles now on my 2012 Motobecane 700 HT Mountain Bike & Z9000.
    Shifts great and smooth. No slips,breaks, or stretching.
    How many more miles can I add? Another 1,000 maybe?

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
    This chain has exceeded my expectations! BUT, I do keep it spotless and well lubed.
    (AND NO TRICKS) Straight rides only. which must be the difference between me and alot of the other reveiwers here.
    Only now I am ONLY thinking of whats better than this to replace for the money when its time?

Favorite Trail:   Parks and streets.

Duration Product Used:   2+ years

Purchased At:   http://www.motobecan

Bike Setup:   2012 Motobecane 700HT

Submitted by mwarner88 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2010

Strengths:    Came new on my Fantom Pro 29er. No issue with this, or any other Fathom component.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    The KMC900 that came on my Fantom Pro 29er continues to run great. Starting to show signs of stretch now, after two year, otherwise no problem.

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   Similar Shimano & SRAM chains.

Submitted by RecceDG a Cross Country Rider from Windsor, Ontario

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2010

Strengths:    It is a chain.

Weaknesses:    Came stock on a 2010 Norco Faze. After 650 km of use (about 1 month) and during a race, snapped clean and took out the rear derailleur hanger.

Bottom Line:
    Junk. I have an Ultegra chain on my road bike that has gone 5500 km and is still in great shape. This one failed catastrophically after one month of use and cost me a race. Avoid!

Favorite Trail:   Black Oak

Similar Products Used:   SRAM X-9, SRAM X-0, Shinamo Ultegra

Submitted by Ben H a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2010

Strengths:    Quick Link for easy removal.

Weaknesses:    Short Life

Bottom Line:
    This chain came on my bike. I've got 350 clean miles on the chain and it's worn 1/32" already. I get much better wear from Shimano chains.

Submitted by trunter a Weekend Warrior from NSW

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2010

Strengths:    None - the box is probably the most useful thing with this chain.

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
    This chain is rubbish! I would not waste your time or money on it. I've had 3 rides with it and have spent more time fixing broken and stiff links then I did on the trails.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Giant Talon 09 - stock

Submitted by cairocks a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Strengths:    Not bling
    Relatively cheap

Weaknesses:    Not Bling
    Seems to have stretch relatively quickly.

Bottom Line:
    Is it really that bad? Change out my Shimano 0N-HG40 at 2500kms and now my speedo registered 4300km where I find the chain is to be replaced again. I am about 100kg, but does 50-60km rides 2-3 times a week on the road, with occasional off roads. Though this KMC Z9000 chain seems to have stretched out relatively quickly, but at least it did not break even after 1800km of usage. Shifting is smoother than the stock Shimano chain that comes with my bike.

Purchased At:   L&T

Similar Products Used:   Shimano ON-HG40

Bike Setup:   Highly modified Wheeler Pro29

Submitted by gvns8 a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, Colorado

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Many

Bottom Line:
    Chain is a piece of junk. It came on my Motobecane Fantom and broke on my second ride simply going up a hill. I replaced the link and the chain broke again two rides later. This second time however, the chain managed to wrap around the rear derailleur and broke the derailleur and bent the derailleur hanger. Do yourself and buy new chain if this come with a new bike. Its a lot cheaper to replace a chain than a derailleur.

Similar Products Used:   Now using SCRAM PC-991

Submitted by krad_two a Weekend Warrior from Gualala, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    None. Lack of strength is the issue.

Weaknesses:    The chain.

Bottom Line:
    This chain broke within the first hour of use. It has a reputation of being junk. Responsible retailers shouldn't sell this chain.

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Brand new Motobecane Fantom Elite HT.

Submitted by Tomasz a Cross Country Rider from North Liberty, IA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2008

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    it took it only 200 miles to stretch 1/16". Granted I'm not the lightest rider, but I'm not a racer and I try not to switch under load. Also almost killed my chainrings (Truvativ Firex). Only after I switched to Shimano I saw how quiet, easy shifting chain can be.

Bottom Line:
    Even if it came with new bike - do yourself a favor and upgrade. It will be one of the most cost effective upgrades you will ever do.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Phantom 29 pro

Submitted by sudan13 a Weekend Warrior from Templeton, CA, usa

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2008

Strengths:    durable,the only chain that will last over 1000 miles, typically 1800-2000 Tandem shifts best with KMC

Bottom Line:
    Best chain for tandem

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Sram,Shimano & whipperman

Bike Setup:   Tandem

Submitted by Lynne a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2008

Strengths:    None as far as I can tell.

Weaknesses:    The chain snapped on Day 1, less than 0.5 mile on the bike.

Bottom Line:
    This chain came with the brand new bike I bought yesterday. While taking a few test rides to check out seat height, pedal changes, etc, the chain snapped on my 3rd test ride of 2000 miles with no problems, nor have I had chain issues on my mountain bike.

Similar Products Used:   Various, thousands of miles on other chains with no issues

Bike Setup:   Shimano Deore LX rear, Shimano R453-A bottom pull front

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Strengths:    None - Came stock on Motobecane 700HT

Weaknesses:    The chain is garbage. It worked for the two weeks as long as I was doing light street riding. The moment I got into some heavy trails the chain started to slip. After a while the chain completely snapped taking the rear derailleur with it. Garbage!

Bottom Line:
    Don't even try it. Not that anyone would actually BUY one of these. But even if it comes stock replace it immediately otherwise disaster awaits.

Favorite Trail:   Memorial Park

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   Front Derailleur Shimano Deore, Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT, Crankset TruVativ, Shifters Shimano Deore Mega 9 Speed STI Rapidfire

Submitted by Kenny Davis a Weekend Warrior from Moore, OK

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2007

Strengths:    None that I can find, Barely serves purpose.

Weaknesses:    Links are way too tight. Seems to be a common problem.

Bottom Line:
    This Chain is worthless. You might be lucky and get one that works like it should, but mine simply did not work at all. Many others are saying the same thing about this chain. It rode ok for a few days, but the links were getting tighter and tighter. At first I thought the Rear derailer was in between cog and needed to be adjusted. When I started to look at it I saw that some links were tight. So I tried to work a few tight links out by hand with no success. So I got home Cleaned the chain, Lubed the chain, Let the lube soak in, Spent a while trying to workout the tight links, I thought I fixed it, and that I could ride the tightness out. Wrong, The next day I was having the same problem. So I just replaced the dang thing. So much happier with a chain that is cheaper than the more expensive chain that came with my bike. Now my bike rides awesome.

Favorite Trail:   NuDraper

Purchased At:   Came stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   I've always used the stock chain. Never had to replace one until now.

Bike Setup:   08 Motobecane Fantom Trail, Mostly stock. New chain, and a few small personal mods.

Submitted by Sal a Weekend Warrior from Elma, Wa

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2007

Strengths:    Haven't found any.

Weaknesses:    Some links are so stiff that you can't use it. Chain causes skips and jumps as you pedal when the stiff links finally decide to bend around the sprocket. Soaking in oil overnight didn't help at all.

Bottom Line:
    I hope this chain is the exception rather than the norm. I have always been happy in the past with KMC chains but am very dissapointed to say the least with this one.

Favorite Trail:   all