Home | Reviews | Chain | KMC

KMC X9 Chain

2.35/5 (20 Reviews)

Strong, reliable and affordable. What more could you ask for? 9 speed compatible Mushroomed pin riveting Double "X" bridge shape outer plate Noise reducing Bushingless construction Approximate weight: 229 grams

Submitted by Darin Barker a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2012

Strengths:    Light.

Weaknesses:    After only two rides a piece broke of one link . Half of the side plate between the two pins. Just gone.? Had a buddy try and replace the broken link with the spares I had. About an hour ago the chain broke. Lucky I was only about 100 yards away from the parking lot.

Bottom Line:
Light chains, Not for mountain biking. definitly buy something stronger. XTR , Sram, Ect. I Have already ordered a new Shimano chain.

Favorite Trail:   PCMR , Utah.

Purchased At:   Price Point.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano,

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel 9.5 Carbon.

Submitted by cusewordsmith a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2012

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    sucks

Bottom Line:
This chain broke on only its third ride -- probably less than 30 miles, all-in. It broke on pretty level terrain without any extreme chain angles.

I've been riding and racing bikes for 30 years, and i've never seen such a pathetic chain. Total crap.

Stay far away from KMC.

Similar Products Used:   SRAM, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Specialized Pitch Pro

Submitted by coop355 a Cross Country Rider from Vermont

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, available in colors

Weaknesses:    none encountered

Bottom Line:
Have used for the second have of the season, about 600 miles. Havent had any issues. The powerlink is a little more difficult to remove than SRAM, but not really a big deal. Got for a great price on ebay ($12 w/ shipping). Would not hesitate to use.buy again. Will be replacing with Sram 991 cross step in the spring.

Favorite Trail:   Perry Hill

Similar Products Used:   Sram

Bike Setup:   FS xc-604, truvativ noir crank, XT cassette, SLX mech

Submitted by suprteck a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2011

Strengths:    Weight, looks

Weaknesses:    Chain broke on me today, It was really muddy but still. I only weigh 130lbs

Bottom Line:
Worked well for the longest time in normal conditions, but once I took it on a crazy muddy ride it gave out on me. Not sure if I would get this again. Was not fun walking my bike out in the mud.

Favorite Trail:   Giant Salamander

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Xtr, Wippermann connex

Bike Setup:   Merida Carbon Ht

Submitted by marting a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Broke with in 20 miles of flat riding.

Bottom Line:
Waste of time and money.

Purchased At:   With Airborne bike

Submitted by meltingfeather a Racer from austin, texas

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    weight, great shifting, durability, quietness

Bottom Line:
i consistently get great durability and performance out of KMC. X9SL has the added benefit of low weight without any compromises.

Similar Products Used:   many 9-speed offerings from SRAM and Shimano

Bike Setup:   rigid ss

Submitted by 00Stephen a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2011

Strengths:    Unknown

Weaknesses:    Weakness.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike and chain less than two weeks ago and commuted a few times before finally getting a chance to take it out XC this past weekend. The chain broke yesterday while I was cruising up hill. I was not standing nor cranking hard. I was in the rightmost (big ring) up front and No 4 (counting up from right to left) in back, so I was only a little crossed.

Weight matters but, when it comes to the drive train, strength matters more.

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes, SF

Similar Products Used:   A variety of Sram chains

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Flash 29er 3 - all stock with my old Specialized SPD pedals. The chain came stock on the bike.

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight
Quick Link
Looks good

Weaknesses:    Collects mud like no other

Bottom Line:
It looks the business, shifts great and can go many, many miles...that is, until you reach mud and moisture. Then, it's CHAINSUCK CITY!!

The small holes and link plate cutouts collect and pack mud so bad, every attempted crank rotation will be met with chainstay-shredding, crank-locking chainsuck. If you like steep, granny gear climbing...you'll have to resort to hike-a-bike! My drivetrain is 100% new and this chain simply does not run well in sloppy, mud conditions. I'm a hopeless weight weenie - but I regret saving 55g in this sensitive area.

Verdict? ROAD BIKE ONLY!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park (24 Hours of Adrenalin course)

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC-991 Hollowpin
Shimano XTR CN-7701

Bike Setup:   22-pound 2010 Giant Anthem X2

Submitted by anderle73 a Cross Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2010

Strengths:    Good weight to strength ratio, shifting preformance, resistance to stretch.

Weaknesses:    pricy

Bottom Line:
Have used this chain on my old Epic without problems and now on Stumpjumer. Feels like the last component that's going to fail. Easy maintenance, smoot hrunning, shifting. My last version of the X9SL came in gold which apart from reliability adds to looks.

Purchased At:   40

Similar Products Used:   sram PC 991

Bike Setup:   stock stumpy FSR pro

Submitted by monocongo a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2010

Strengths:    Probably OK if you don't ride hard and/or uphill. Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Broke twice in a week, used for less than a month.

Bottom Line:
I don't recommend this chain. It snapped on me twice going up hills. Once I was able to fix it (and the fix only lasted until I made it back to my car, mostly downhill), the other time I ended up walking a few miles. Do yourself a favor and avoid this one.

Submitted by auryn a Racer from san francisco

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2010

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    shoddy. wears out very fast and once it wears out it has a tendency to break links.

Bottom Line:
don't buy this chain if you're looking for something that lasts. I got 2 KMC chains - a 9spd for my mtn bike and an 8 spd for my commuter. Both wore out incredibly fast and furthermore, once the 8spd chain wore out it started to totally break down. chain started skipping, I thought it was my derailleur cable stretching, and then the chain broke, link plate bent... While waiting for a new chain, I replaced the busted link and the next day broke another different link! This is commuting to work - not railing up a mountain.

Favorite Trail:   zipaty doo dah

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   SRAM chains from cheap 8sp to $ hollowpin 9spd, Shimano HG and IG chains (8 and 9 spd)

Bike Setup:   mtn: Ventana El Saltamontes, commuter: Jamis steel hardtail

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Vic, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2010

Strengths:    This is the X9 sl silver 9sp. Light weight is the claim to fame and it certainly shifted well.

Weaknesses:    Weakness. Chain broke under no extraordinary load. Plates were bent and pin pulled out.

Bottom Line:
I'd say this chain is too light for anything but easy MTBing on a light bike in lightweight terrain. If you ride hard (who doesn't?) you'll break this and smash your knee into the fork. It's rubbish. Nobody from KMC will read this because they couldn't possibly have enough pride in their product to care about its reputation. If you're shopping for a chain, give this one a miss.

Favorite Trail:   loco

Similar Products Used:   Various mid range Shimano and Sram, which only ever broke when absolutely shagged.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale RZ140 carbon 1 with all the fruit... that's why I was only demo'ing it for a week. Brand new bike with as-new chain.

Submitted by takeahike a Cross Country Rider from Fowlerville, MI, usa

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    light weight

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
seems to be designed for a <160lb rider who does a lot of flat single track, I am not this rider. I will say that I still have not found the ideal chain but I do know that where I like to ride, super light is not advised.

Favorite Trail:   poto