Home | Reviews | Chain | KMC

KMC X8 Chain

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

KMC X 8.93 Chain 7.1mm 6-8 speed is a quality chain at a great value. Chain Compatibility: 6, 7, 8 Weight: 315 g Width:7.1 mm Links: 116 links

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2013

Strengths:    Good strength, shifting, low noise. After 3000 km of mountain cross-country driving tensioned to 0.75%. Great look. Easy mounting/unmounting even after 4000 km (at 4000 km becames 1%).

Weaknesses:    Feels heavy

Bottom Line:
I buy it again and tell to my friends. Optimal change interval for cross-country is 2000-2500 km in mostly dry condition.

Favorite Trail:   Carpathian Mountains

Duration Product Used:   4000 km, 100 km

Purchased At:   01.09.2012, 01.03.20

Submitted by Henk

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2013

Strengths:    Used to be excellent

Weaknesses:    design changed

Bottom Line:
Be carefull. They changed specs on this chain, it is now a 7,3 pin. This leads to false shifts on older Shimano gear like alivio.

Submitted by David C a Weekend Warrior from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, quiet, durable and good factory lube.

Weaknesses:    A bit of surface rust on the intermediate links outer plates, but does not affect performance or make noise.

Bottom Line:
For the price, you can't beat this 8 spd chain.

Just to say, I had the chain stay clean and quiet (still is) for more then 300 miles of dry riding, mostly commute, only running on the factory lube. I wipe off the chain after each ride to prevent grit and dirt to build up and cleaned twice between the plates and rollers. So this chain will make it as good or better then any other 8 speed chain and price is no excuse not to get one.

Missing link was easy to install and remove, once you understand the science between a pin and a plate xD

I'm 110, riding platforms, so I can't tell much about breaking a chain, but after 300 miles, the stretch was still under 1/32 for a 12" measure.

The X plates really make a difference into keeping everything smooth, as I also have a KMC Z72 chain on another bike and shifting isn't as smooth, even that I use the same rd (X-7) and cassette quality. It also help not to tear apart the rag when wiping off the chain. Pins are very nicely riveted and the chain is ready to be installed right out the box by simply adding the Missing Link to both end of the chain.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   KMC Z72, KMC Z chains, Shimano 8 speed chains

Bike Setup:   3x8 FS trail bike, X-7 rd, FSA crank, Shimano cassette

Submitted by xmessenger a Weekend Warrior from Vic BC

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2011

Strengths:    Price,7/8 speed for older bikes,reliable and strong.

Weaknesses:    Ya it will surface rust quick but that is a good reminder to lube too! I find the missing link connector impossilbe to disconnect and may need a specific park tool as the mushroomed pins make using a chain breaker difficult and I dont wish to defeat the strenght of the links.

Bottom Line:
There was a time when I thought I had to spend $50 to maintain my bikes performance, now I'm wiser. A third the cost of many others and this shifts great, makes no noise and has yet to break. Believe me, you dont need to spend big bucks on other chains. Very pleased. Minus 1 for the missing link connect and minor rust but for the price all is forgiven and this is the toughest chain I've owned.

Favorite Trail:   dunno

Purchased At:   mEC

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, SRAM/Sachs, and old KMC super shuttle(crap)

Bike Setup:   1992 RM Team comp Tange ultralite.Rigid with skinny slicks for city and cutting off brakeless fixies.

Submitted by Ecogeek a Cross Country Rider from Rockies

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, reliable, silent.
Comes with snap-link for quick install and quick removal for cleaning.

Weaknesses:    Rust on the small links between the side-plates.

Bottom Line:
Good chain. Those X's on the sides make it run v quiet. Preventing the ends of the pins jangling on anything.
Shifts really well.
Strong.
Cheap.
Just don't leave it outside all winter after riding in salt-slush. A little (and only a little) rust will appear on the sub-links between the main links.
But if you hate rust on your beloved beaters you spent time perfecting, that little bit of rust will bother you strangely intensely. Lol.
So. Keep it clean and lubed. Don't let it get snow sitting on it, or store it outside before cleaning off the dirt. Great chain. And great value.
Seems to handle the torque of a strongish rider, clipped in, standing up and mashing it in high gear up a v steep hill trying to beat his own stupidly fast lap times. So it def ain't weak for normal riders. And the snap link ('missing link') is a real bonus. Those shimano chains with the pins really suck by comparison. Having ridden SRAM, KMC and Shim, and still riding each, KMC is actually my favourite. I still tend to run SRAM on the MTBs just because the rest is SRAM and I like SRAM as a brand. But I'd def not hesitate to use KMC. I am actually super-tempted to try it having noticed how quiet these KMCs are thanks to those X's.
All my rigs are plenty quiet BTW. But the KMCs especially so. Which considering they are on the cheapest rigs with the worst (still good) components, is saying something IMO.

I use 'dry' wax lube. Like finsh Line Kryotec, White Shightning, or Rock N Roll Extreme.
Apply *after* each ride or two, then run chain through a rag and it'll dry before next ride (that's what you want).
Every half doz rides, or every few weeks I'll do this a couple of times in one hit and pay a little more attention to really get any dirt off and spread the wax-lube onto the side-plates. The outside of them too. It dries so doesn't pick up dirt. Protects them from moisture and rust whilst standing. Only needs a little on the rag before running the chain through it.
Easier and quicker than it sounds and you soon get extra good at it. Use 100% recycled (read label) mechanic's shop towels. Like super strong kleenex that doesn't fall to bits. Cheap from HW store.
Wash hands w orange oil cleaner w pumice. The mechanic's friend.

This chain is def a 5 for value no matter what.
And it is a 5 for performance if you store it indoors.
Outdoors storage in wet/salty areas, then it's a 4. But bear in mind that there are almost no chains that would get a 5 there. Might try KMC's galvanized zinc'd chains at some point. Seems inappropriate to me though as zinc is soft. So would surely wear away fast. I stand to be corrected for an application such as a chain. However, it would remain on the sides of the sub-links and that's the place the rust happens. So what you need is a cheap chain with galvanised sub-links and the chromed/nickel side-plates.
Maybe it exists. I don't read about chains much!
A good point to end and let you get on. Lol.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   hg53, hg92, igNN, PG951, PG971 and others.

Bike Setup:   This is on two different 'top notch 'beaters'.
One a sort of flat-land cheap yet semi-serious time-trials training freakazoid.
Other a commuter for the Mrs.

KMC Chain Q - Z8 or X8.93

I have a Spec Rockhopper Comp. Specs say it came with a KMC X8 chain. I wanted to replace the chain so I get on ebay and order a KMC x8.93 chain. What they sent me though was a Z8 chain. Is there a huge difference between these chains? I am a recreational rider, maybe 2 or 300 miles a year, ... Read More »

Specialized Crosstrail PRO or Stevens X8 disc - please advice, size

Hello! I am also interested in those two bikes: [url]http://www.stevensbikes.de/2010/inde...=81&lang=de_DE[/url] and [url]http://www.specialized.com/de/en/bc/...enuItemId=9401[/url] I am 6'1" tall and I can not decide which size I should take for Crosstrail PRO. I tried L and XL where L f ... Read More »

need help with my Blackburn X8

My wonderful boyfriend got me the Blackburn X8 for my birthday. I haven't had the opportunity to use them yet, but I already have a few questions about it. 2 lights and 1 battery. Is one supposed to be on the handlebars and one on my helmet? I don't like the idea of my head being attached to my ... Read More »

blackburn System X8

Hello All I have the X8 light set and lost the battery charger. I have a multi use charger but I need to know what the polarity is? If you have this light set could you let me know Thanks DougRead More »

KMC missing link on X8 chain

I was out tooling around with my bike tonight. It has a KMC X8 chain with a silver missing link. I cleaned the bike up a bit and reinstalled the chain ( about 60 miles on the chain ) with the same missing link. Is it OK to do this or should I be using a brand new missing link every time I remove th ... Read More »