Home | Reviews | Chain | KMC

KMC X-10SL Superlite Chain

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

KMC X10SL-DLC 10 Speed Chain. One of the smoothest shifting 10-speed chains on the market, the KMC X10 series is quickly proving itself on both the pro-road and off-road circuit. KMC X-Bridge technology ensures positive ramp engagement regardless of drive

Submitted by Rollin'in'Zona a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight. I LOVE KMC chains, and this model is probably fine for buff singletrack type riding, which is why i give it 3 of chillis.

Weaknesses:    Broken 2 times in less than 300 miles. The SL (superlight) version is NOT for riders who throw down power in the face of rocky, steep challenges!

Bottom Line:
This chain is probably fine for buff singletrack type riding, where forces applied are smooth and easy. But putting power down to explode out of a gully or over an obstacle... it's too weak for that.

I've broken this X10SL twice in less than 300 miles. Riding a FS bike, I'm definitely an "aggressive" rider who really throws down power to sprint through and out of techy sections. I'm a throttle junky. Every break has occurred in just such a situation - not while sifting. I weight only ~175 fully kitted out.

Replacing with a KMC X10L. 18 grams heavier. Sold pin. Maybe this will help.

Similar Products Used:   Riding for decades - SRAM, Shimano, Rholoff...

Bike Setup:   This chain was on a Pivot Mach 4, 2x10 11-34

Submitted by barry1me

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2013

Strengths:    Very lightweight, looks cool, and not a bad price

Weaknesses:    none that I can tell so far

Bottom Line:
I have ran this chain on my epic s works now with SRAM XX drivetrain and it has been great. Wearing fine, no issues. I also just installed this on a Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon with XTR drivetrain and it working smooth on it as well.

Submitted by jonshonda

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2012

Strengths:    Its tough, looks great, and has yet to cause me worries

Weaknesses:    It won't pull my Honda Pilot out of the ditch

Bottom Line:
I am a clyde who has snapped a chain or two, and hurt himself going it ( ding---ohh my balls!!) I read a lot of positive things about KMC, and decided to pull the trigger on this chain. Why I chose the SL model is beyond me, but I really like the gold color.

Well, this thing has about 400 miles on it, and I have yet to have an issue. No breaks, but a little noisy when dirty. I try to keep it as clean and as well lubed as possible. I go for a muddy ride, pull out the park tool to scrub it clean, dry it, and lube it.

The gold is wearing off a little, but still looks great. DON'T CHANGE GEARS UNDER POWER AND YOU WON'T BREAK CHAINS!!

Submitted by flatagain

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2012

Strengths:    came with missing link

Weaknesses:    it broke after 6 mos trying to peddle out of a creek bed, not during a shift. Thankfully, the split was located 5 links from the missing link, so I patched it back together and rode on.

Bottom Line:
The bike shop cut into this chain to shorten it a few months back, not sure where they cut into it. This may have weakened the chain, but I'm not a chain expert. I'll piece it back together and ride it until it breaks again, then get another chain, maybe one that is not 'sl' or superlight, but regular, since I was able to split this one with my massive leg strength.