Home | Reviews | Chain | KMC

KMC Chain Chain

2.47/5 (76 Reviews)

The versatile KMC X10SL-CP is an easy upgrade to any Sram, Shimano, and even Campagnolo 10-speed drive train.

Submitted by trmn8er

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2014

Strengths:    Came with my bike

Weaknesses:    Horribly impossible to remove Missing Link by hand on the trail

Bottom Line:
Just a crap design, and KMC does not stand behind their product. I prefer the SRAM Powerlink and chains. Easier to remove by hand with no tool needed.

Submitted by Adam Miles

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2013

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    THE CHAIN

Bottom Line:
came on my scott scale bike. failed within first 100 miles. bent all my rear mech beware!

Submitted by cjs

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2013

Strengths:    None! this chain sucks

Weaknesses:    Everything! this chain sucks

Bottom Line:
This chain sucks, bought 2 because i was on a budget. One broke on first ride, the other broke while bike was on the stand. THIS CHAIN SUCKS! SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS! Don't buy it, dont put it on your bike even if its free.

Submitted by Dustin greenlee a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Every link

Bottom Line:
My Motobecane came with the KMC X10SL it broke 3 times in the first 80 miles.

Favorite Trail:   Odessa MTB park

Purchased At:   Bikedirect

Bike Setup:   Stock Motobecane full suspension 29 er

Submitted by jesse

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Strengths:    nothing

Weaknesses:    broke on me wiithin a day, stiff links

Bottom Line:
these chains suck ass never getting one again

Submitted by Jetsmoother

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2012

Strengths:    That would be an oxymoron.

Weaknesses:    metal integrity, construction, quality control, durability

Bottom Line:
The KMC Z-7E: Worst bicycle chain ever produced.

Inferior metal is bad enough when used in non-critical applications. When cheap metal is used for a component that depends of tensile strength, it's not only frustrating, it can also be dangerous. In the nearly 50 years I have been riding bicycles, I have never encountered a chain break, up until now. Additionally, the bicycle this chain was installed on only had a couple of hundred miles on it, if that. Under no circumstances would I ever puchase another KMC product.

Submitted by azs13 a All Mountain Rider from South Korea

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2012

Strengths:    nothing I noticed

Weaknesses:    skips gears a lot
broke after ~500 miles

Bottom Line:
This review is for the KMC X9.93 XSP
This chain was on the bike when I bought it brand new and after a few months of mainly only trail riding (no serious DH or anything) one of the links snapped and about a month before this it started to skip gears really bad but after inspecting the chain I found no real flaws so I kept going with regular maintenance and everything. Chain was not neglected, it just sucks. Went with a Wippermann ConneX this time so we shall see how this works.

Submitted by dlq001 a Weekend Warrior from Tampa,FL

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2011

Strengths:    Long life, strength

Weaknesses:    None that I've found... Well, I finally had to replace it after ~8000 miles of urban riding, yea, it's worn some...LoL

Bottom Line:
This is a review for a KMC XSP-X9 chain. It came on the bike so I don't know the cost of one. I'm gonna guess that it's in the $15 range.
I ride 150-160 miles a week, to/from work and trails on the weekends.
It is toast now and I'm replacing it with another KMC chain. And why not, after 8000 miles it still shifts good, and doesn't jump teeth on the sprockets. More than I can say about the Sram PC-971 which I tried and it jumps on all the rear gears including the ones I never use.
Haven't decided between the KMC X9-73 or the X9-93, both under $35.
I would recommend KMC to anyone looking for a good chain...

Favorite Trail:   In town urban assualt !

Purchased At:   UBC

Similar Products Used:   SRAM

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike, Truvativ Stylo crank

Submitted by kzeiszler a Cross Country Rider from Bismarck, ND

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2011

Strengths:    This is for the K710 Kool chain: great chain, no complaints,looks nice, heavy duty

Weaknesses:    heavy if you care I sure dont

Bottom Line:
If you need a single or a fixed chain this one works great even with skidding, it has deep holes so chain rarely falls off even when loose.

Favorite Trail:   ma da hey

Purchased At:   cars r coffins

Similar Products Used:   scram

Bike Setup:   fixed steamroller

Submitted by pacmanjason a Racer from Marquette, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Strengths:    quiet, shifts quickly, no problems so far

Bottom Line:
This is the best chain I have ever had. Its very quiet and it shifts instantly. I have had no issues with durability, but have only been using it one month.

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   shimano, sram

Bike Setup:   Superfly 100, kmc ti sl hollow pin chain, maxxis crossmark

Submitted by ltb a Racer from annandale

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, light, fast shifting

Weaknesses:    I manage to bend them with chain suck (I think that would be true of any chain though....)

Bottom Line:
Could not agree more with the last reviewer re type of chain tested; So X10SL KMC chain, gold links, hollow pins, hollow side plates, and x pattern on side plates.

This chain shifts fast, really fast, smoothes out the drivetrain really well, lasts well in either muddy (tropical) or fine dusty (dry season) conditions. Looks great and does not break. I do bend them though neccesssitating replacement, but that is due to super close tolerance of sram xx and mojo frame, one chainsuck and its stuffed, any chain would suffer this though. So subjectively a great cheap and long lasting product.

Favorite Trail:   redtail black

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   dura ace, xt, xtr.

Bike Setup:   mojo sram xx

Submitted by jpeters a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2010

Strengths:    Strong Nickel Plated Looks good

Bottom Line:
THE REVIEW IS FOR ::: KMC X9 93::: Chain FIRST I NEED TO SAY Kmc makes different quality chains just like Shimano for example Shimano has low end Hg50 high end Hg93. I will compare with the shimano Hg73 because that is about the same price and that is what I ran b4 this. The kmc chain is much stronger looks better and last longer. This review is just for the x9 93 kmc chain. I am sure if you buy the 6 or 10 dollar chain you wont like it. The low priced chains are for the trekking bikes or city bikes not for the hard xc riders or the race road bikes. If you are going to be pounding on your chain get a good one not a budget one. We all know you get what you pay for. SO PLEASE SPECIFY WHAT NUMBER CHAIN YOU PURCHASED B4 YOU LEAVE A REVIEW!!!!!! IF SOME ONE NEW TO BIKING IS LOOKING FOR A GOOD PRODUCT AND THEY READ ALL OF THESE REVIEWS THEY WILL JUST ASSUME ALL KMC CHAINS ARE CRAP AND THATS NOT TRUE!!! LOOK ITS THE SAME WITH MOTORCYCLE AND ATV CHAINS. So to all tne people thrown off by this reviews check the forums you will find many good riders using kmc and they swear by them

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Hg73

Bike Setup:   Focus Black Forest Fox 32f100 fork Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheels Slx group

Submitted by misbe a Racer from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2010

Strengths:    Nice looking finish

Weaknesses:    Wears incredibly fast

Bottom Line:
I am using Finish Line ceramic lube. I keep the chain reasonably clean and follow the lube's instructions. The links are perceptibly loose (I can feel the clearance) after about 1000 road miles and, over the total length, the chain is half a link longer than new! I have never replaced a chain with this few miles on it.

Purchased At:   Full Cycles