Interloc IRD Chain

3.19/5 (16 Reviews)

• 8-speed and 9 speed Chains
  • Patented smooov shifting plate
  • technology. Snap LInk installs w/o tools (you still need a tool to shorten it)
  • Pro, Elite, and Sport grades to suit performance needs
  • No logo that begins with an "S" anywhere
  • Pin power up to 200kgf
  • SRP: $13.99 - 36.99
  • Weight: 303g - 338g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by David

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2013

Strengths:    Shifts better than any other chain I have ever had. I can make multi-gear changes and the chain settles down onto the cogs faster than any other I've had. I agree with the other poster who said it seems to stay clean longer than some. I have had the IRD-991: 9-speed Pro Hollow Pin, the solid pin version they made before that and the IRD-1010 Pro. The 9 speed chains are on SRAM drive trains and the 10 speed chain is on a Shimano road drive train.All have been great chains. I even reused the solid pin 9 speed by adding the original links I took off on a bike with bigger front gears, it still worked perfect and never broke.

Weaknesses:    Uhm...they don't come in the cool metal tin anymore? It makes good storage for extra links and snap links. :)

Bottom Line:
    I have recommended the IRD chains to any one I know who has had shifting issues or just wanted a nice shifting chain. They are so much smoother shifting than the SRAM chains I used!

Submitted by beandeanscene a Cross Country Rider from Nelson BC Canada

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    This chain is solid. I purchased a IRD 790 Elite chain while touring the West Coast. I purchased it in Canon Beach and installed it there. The chain shifts smoothly, stays clean and runs well.

Weaknesses:    I think that chain users that did not install this chain correctly probably snapped it. I have ridden up the steepest hills in California including San Francisco with this chain and have had no complaints. I have put 1000 miles and is still not stretched.

Bottom Line:
    This chain is solid gold

Favorite Trail:   A river runs through it....

Purchased At:   Oregon

Similar Products Used:   I have used Campagnolo, Shimano, and Sram chains. Probably the best for a Shimano set-up.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Sherpa- Rocky Mountain ETSX 50
    Scott Cr1 -Musing

Submitted by Jack Copley a Cross Country Rider from clarks summit, pa, USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, lite, super smooth

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
    I used the IRD hollowpin 9spd chain. It is the first chain I have put on my 29er that didn't snap at least once. I weigh 270lbs. I am about to finally replace it. It is stretched beyond what it should be. But it has been the most dependable chain I have ever used. It was also my first hollow pin. All the chains I have snapped have been solid pins. You figure it out. This chain rocks!

Purchased At:   Sicklers

Similar Products Used:   SRAM, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Caffine 29er a little tweeked out

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2006

Strengths:    Flawless, good shifting, never any issues

Bottom Line:
    Cambria told me this was the only chain they ever sold that they never had to warantee. Not a single chain. They also said the IRD's chain warentee is lifetime on anything but streching. Never needed to test that claim.

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Sram, Shimano

Submitted by Brandon a Cross Country Rider from Jamestown ND

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2006

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    This chain company is worthless!! Chains do not hold up. I owned a IRD-790 and it lasted 2 months before a solid link snapped

Bottom Line:
    Dont Buy from this Company. They are going to be a waste of your time expecially if you break down in the middle of nowhere.

Favorite Trail:   Pipestem

Purchased At:   Online Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   SRAM-951

Bike Setup:   04 Kona Kikapu with Marzocchi DJ3 front fork, Fox Float Rear.

Submitted by Ivan a Cross Country Rider from Michigan/Vermont

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2005

Strengths:    Great looks, stays clean somehow, smooth, and strong.

Weaknesses:    Does take a while for the chain to break in, i.e. squeeks at first, it'll take a week or so to get the lube to penetrate properly.

Bottom Line:
    Can't say the quality on my bike so far, still getting replacements for the new frame, odd demnsions. But, have had the chain on my old XC bike, Univega Alpina 600 turned Urban Assualt. If your'e worried about strength, then do not use the snap link, use the pins already in the chain. The snap link is what causes all the problems. I've never seen a chain stay this clean, after all I gave the bike to my brother with the new IRD, he hasn't taken the greatest car of it, and it's smooth and clean. Wonce the leader is finished with altercations to have proper sized parts fitted to it I'll be expecting the same qualtity in both their drive train components.

Favorite Trail:   Midland City Forest

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Leader frame, Black Elite, Avid 7", Mavic wheels, Fire XC, IRD chain & Cassette, shimano mixed drivetrain, and Truvativ cranks.

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Rural Retreat, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2004

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Teflon coating, rollers

Bottom Line:
    Like others have said the teflon is a joke. But my beef is how quick the chain itself wore down. I'm not an everyday hardcore rider so it was even more disgusting to me considering the price paid. I replaced it with a PC-99 SRAM. They cost about the same and there is no comparison. The SRAM chain is the best I've ever tried. Never going back to IRD.

Favorite Trail:   Rural Retreat Lake Loop

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   shimano and SRAM

Bike Setup:   Ironhore Hollowpoint

Submitted by Interloc from NorCal

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
    Official reply from IRD: For those few of you who have had bad experiences with our chain, we apologize.
    We want to let the public know we back our product's design and workmanship fully. If our chain breaks, we will send you a new one. So please contact us. Most companies won't warranty a broken chain. In our efforts to continually improve our product, we have also developed new improved 9 and 10-speed connector links that work better on the 11t cog. And we have introduced a strong hollow pin 9-speed chain. E-mail your comments to interlocracing@aol.com

Submitted by Brad W a Cross Country Rider from Columbus, oh USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Strengths:    Teflon=Smooth

Weaknesses:    IRD CHAIN=PIECE OF CRAP THAT SNAPPED TWICE ON ME IN 2 WEEKS.

Bottom Line:
    So when the guy at Jenson USA (Not blaming Jenson, they kick a$$) told me he could substitute the IRD cassette for the XT they were out of at the same price it seemed like a logical move to get a teflon chain. I hate logic, I failed it in college and should never use this tool for my decision making process again. I snapped the chain on a gradual incline the first time and though "Well this can happen, maybe I was in the wrong gear". But when I snapped it the second time on a paved bike path I thought "Wow that really hurts when you snap a chain and bach your knee into your headset", then I thought "Glad it wasn't my balls" But seriously this chain is a piece of junk and if they would have had this review on the website before I bought it well I might have my diginity back, because at the moment it snapped the second time I was passing this hottie running and when you snap a chain it really makes you look like an idiot.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   The big S company.

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper Pro, only stock component left is the frame.

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Lowell, MA USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    It stays a bit cleaner when lubed w/ wax-based formula

Weaknesses:    Weak strength of chai &, snaplink II

Bottom Line:
    This chain snapped on me twice in the first 5 rides. Once was at the snaplink and it was rendered useless. I replaced it with a SRAM gold powerlink. The second time one of the links blew apart. This is unacceptable and I'm replacing the chain with a more durable model. It's back to PC99 for me, and I *really* wish I had a Speedhub on my XC bike:)

Favorite Trail:   A-Line @ Whistler

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC99

Bike Setup:   Specialized SWorks Epic w/ Shimano XT/XTR 3x9

Submitted by none none a Weekend Warrior from somewhere

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Strengths:    This a review of the black lighting.

Weaknesses:    Breaks

Bottom Line:
    This chain is junk. It broke the first time I rode with it. I figured it was just a fluke untill it broke a seconfd time. Dont wast your money. Also the teflon is a gimmick its wears off after the first ride.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Valley

Similar Products Used:   Shimano,Sram

Bike Setup:   Doesnt matter

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Bakersfield

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Strengths:    This is a review for the Black Lighting Chain. Absolutely None, with the exception the tin to carry small parts around.

Weaknesses:    This product is GARBAGE, it skipped all day and did not matter what gear you were in. The chain did not come with a master link either and had to pin together. I emailed IRD and never got a response back from them. Why am I not surprised. I put my PC-99 chain on and not a problem what so ever, and put this piece on and it would skip along like a school girl.

Bottom Line:
    Do not buy this chain, it is garbage. If IRD is reading this I hope you can fix the problem, even though I will never buy your product again(Not even the beautiful Scandium road bike).Go waste your money on a nice dinner and avoid the headache.

Favorite Trail:   Cannell Meadow

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC-49,59,89R and 99

Bike Setup:   Russ Denny hardtail,King hubs and headset,thomsom, Paul,raceface,XO, basically fully loaded

Submitted by John Galante a Cross Country Rider from New Windsor, NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to install with snap-link connector. Smooth running on larger cogs. Teflon mix with Black Lightning black finish is cool.

Weaknesses:    Would not work on smallest cog on rear cassette (IRD Black Lightning) without skipping. NO adjustment would help. Replaced with OEM Shimano chain and that works(ed) fine

Bottom Line:
    Thought this would be a good match with IRD cassette, and a nice upgrade frm HG-73 OEM. Just could not get it to work without skipping on smallest cog - especially in area of chain just after Snap-link. I messed with it, and XT RD many times before giving up and returning to original chain, which runs smooth with no problems. Will skip using this chain in the future - bought an HG-93 as back-up when OEM wears out.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA