Vetta Chain Cleaner Chain Accessories

1.94/5 (17 Reviews)

Vetta Chain Cleaner

Submitted by thermalfinder a Cross Country Rider from Northwest USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    Does a great job of cleaning when used along with compressed air. Long lasting if one is gentle with the lid, pins and brushes.

Weaknesses:    Plastic deformation and plastic-to-plastic stickiness makes it hard at times to close the sliding lid. Layers of newsprint on the floor and against the rim needed to soak up the excess solvent.

Bottom Line:
I can see why most cyclists don't like this tool as it suffers from poor design and materials. I've learned to be very careful and gentle with it for about 10 years.

Favorite Trail:   Oregon Trail

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Park Cyclone

Bike Setup:   Multi-use.

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Reading, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2008

Strengths:    Easy way to clean chain.

Weaknesses:    Built cheaply. Plastic has warped a bit. Top of cage falls off easily. Plastic scraper inserts don't fit well into frame.

Bottom Line:
I've used mine for about 7 years. If you first look at the design and construction, then treat it accordingly, it will last forever. I use a cheap citrus degreaser from home depot - buy it by the gallon, no problems.

Just don't torque the hinge, and try not to lose the pins. Mine came with extra pins and roller brushes anyway. I think it works great. Not a bad deal for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Penn

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Clifford Fee a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn, NY USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2004

Strengths:    I just bought a Finish Line chain cleaner because of the reviews. It works well. However, I had a Vetta. They are the same!! But I guess they fixed some of the problems.

Bottom Line:
Finish Line and Vetta are the same. The Finish Line must have beeen improved - the pins don't fall out and so far the cover works.

Purchased At:   ??

Similar Products Used:   Finish Line

Submitted by Greg a weekend warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have been using this cleaner for four years, I didn't have trouble with the part falling out or fallimg apart, must have been built on a Wednesday. But I alway had trouble closing the lid, alway spilt cleaner al over in the process. I solved that by putting it on empty, then filling it. But it took at least three attempts to get the damn lid closed. the side warped out of shape just to help things. I wish there was minus chilis here, pure crap, replaced it with a AXIOM, looks like the park cleaner, works great, no spills.

Submitted by Harvey Hanig a weekend warrior from Illinois

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

This product is shit. First one stress cracked and leaked. It was replaced under warranty. The replacement also cracked. I only used the supplied citrus degreaser. If you waste your money for this piece of crap you have probably been out in the sun too long. I gave it a one star rating only because there is no zero star rating. What it truly deserves is a five turd rating!

Submitted by Al Patton a cross-country rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: May 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Rarely am I moved to speak out against a product but this thing deserves the worst possible review. Bought one, it crapped out immediately. Maybe I'm the dummy; I bought another one since it was the only thing I could find. It fell apart in my hands. I was careful to use only biodegradeable degreaser. The idea is good,when it works, it works pretty good but the product execution is garbage. The people that make this thing should be forced to remove them from the market. I strongly advise EVERYONE against it.

Submitted by fat-dog a cross-country rider from adironack

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

the sides warped out until useless and it literally fell apart a rip off. not even good enough for grandpa's false teeth. 0 chilles

Submitted by someone a weekend warrior from new york

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1997

Bottom Line:

It cleans the chain very well, for a few uses, that is. After a few cleanings, bits and pieces started to fall off and disappeared. I run through a cleaner before I run through a bottle of degreaser!!! Why do they make it out of plastic, just plain cheap???Great concept, OK design, but shity construction!!!

Submitted by rs a weekend warrior from tx

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1997

Bottom Line:

$20 bucks? ,gasoline and a old toothbrush work better and safty glasses

Submitted by Bill a cross-country rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

I agree with other critics that the materials and construction of this thing are lousy. The Park is much better built. However, the Vetta runs rings around the Park in getting your chain clean. The rotating brushes of the Vetta really clean the inside rollers of the chain well. It's tricky to set up on the chain so it doesn't spit degreaser all over you, but it can be done with practice. The plastic hinge on the Vetta lid breaks easily, so you've got to be careful. But I've found nothing better for on-bike chain cleaning. I'd like to see this design executed with the materials and construction quality of the Park. Then we'd really have something.I agree that Finish Line degreaser works well.

Submitted by Brent from Orange, California

Date Reviewed: April 19, 1997

Bottom Line:

This is a piece of crap!!! Do not buy this product!!! It starts to fall apart after the
3rd use, by the 6th it's time to through it away. 1 chili is way over-rated.

Submitted by Peter Coffin from weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have used mine for about 5 years and still going strong. The Park will definitely make the outside of the chain look shiny, but the trick is to get the grit out of the pins in the chain. The Vetta is the best I have used for this and my chins last without stretching. If you leave the thing closed and just wash it out with a garden hose you won't lose the pins and try using Performance degreaser diluted 5 to 1 as a solvent. It cleans well without eating plastic.

Submitted by JR Fisher a cross-country rider from Blacksburg, VA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 1997

Bottom Line:

This thing licks. Get a Park. But, I will give it two because is does look prettier or some bull shit like that.

Submitted by mark a cross-country rider from Syracuse, NY US

Date Reviewed: October 18, 1996

Bottom Line:

I agree with the previous reviews : the brushes fall out, and you lose
the axles; degreaser gets sprayed all over (protect your tires!). Plus, the
plastic hubs of the brushes gets attacked by the degreaser and starts cracking
after 10 or so uses. The only reason I give it 2 stars is that it lets clean
your chain without having to break it to get it off the bike (although you'd
get a cleaner chain that way).

Submitted by Pieter a racer from Aus/Swe

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1996

Bottom Line:

You've been ripped off if you've bought one of these.
What? No minus points to give?

Isopropyl alcohol as chain cleaner?

Hi Guys, I dont usually apply any degreasers to my chain unless they are gunked up good and need a good cleaning. I always clean my chain with a small brush and re apply lube and run through a rag. When I do use degreaser I use the ecotech stuff and let it sit on my chain for a few minutes and ... Read More »

How do YOU clean your bike chain without a chain cleaner device???

Im not asking for advice i just want to know eveybody elses technique. I got lazy and put a solid 100 miles on my new bike before i cleaned my chain to relube it. I put a thin coat of wd40 on it then sprayed it off. Then hit it with the air compresor and put some gt85 on it. It wasnt how i wanted to ... Read More »

chain cleaner recommendation

Id like to get one of those hand held chain brush contraptions but which one? Ive seen some for $5 and others for $50. Id rather it not break the first time i use it but Im also not running a shop and it will only get used like once a month. Thanks!Read More »

Park Citrus Chain Cleaner

Is there any difference between this stuff and the any of the generic citrus cleaners you find at home depot of the market?Read More »

MAF or electrical cleaner on bike chain?

Is it ok to use MAF/Electrical cleaner on a chain? I had my chain off the bike and was trying to get it as clean as possible with cleaning solutions available to me. Heard Simple Green can cause issues. Tried using MAF cleaner since it's safe on plastic and evaporates very quickly. Anyone know if m ... Read More »