Truvativ Hussefelt II Boxguide Chain Accessories

3.44/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 350 grams MSRP : $99.99

Easy to install, infinitely adjustable, and quiet, it's no wonder the Boxguide was Mountain Bike's Editor's Choice for 2002. BB-cup mount or ISCG mount. New for 2003 is a quieter, more durable rubber roller. Replaceable guide-box and rollers available. And the Boxguide is compatible with our new Bashguard--separating the chain retention (handled by the Boxguide) from impact protection (via the Bashguard-sold separately).

Submitted by Ben Grasham a Downhiller from Ceredigion

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2007

Strengths:    even though mine was standard the guide is cheap to buy. really easy to adjust and set up.

Weaknesses:    chain can slide out somehow. bolts always manage to unscrew. weak . rubs one hell of a lot because somehow the front of mine always got pulled down.

Bottom Line:
cheap and if your on tight budget its a good guide to get but if you aint on a budget don't buy one of these! go for an mrp or blackspire

Favorite Trail:   clarach, tredz , penrhyn

Purchased At:   on bike (bighit)

Similar Products Used:   mrp party crasher slalom

Bike Setup:   bighit 1 frame , hayes hydraulic, maxxis tyres , truvativ huselfelt finishin kit, drop off sl's 150's,

Submitted by Amaretto from Barrie, Ontario

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Loss of chain

Bottom Line:
Cheap. If you take some time while putting it on and actually set it up correctly, it will work perfectly for what it's made for; downhill and freeride. If you're someone whose just going to rush through it and toss it on, you're going to hate it. I've lost my chain once with it, compared to a higher end guide, I'd never lose it. If you can't spend the money of a more expensive guide, this will work great, if you actually make it work.

Purchased At:   momentum

Similar Products Used:   E thirteen, mrp, tried a syncros

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2005

Strengths:    Pretty durable, looks good. Relativley cheap

Weaknesses:    Rubbing, dropped chain after a while

Bottom Line:
Mine always seemed to be a pain in the a*se to get right, and then wouldn't stay how I wanted it for long. Even LBs never got it running just right. As it got older, it started dropiing the hcain more often, and the constant rubbing got on my nerves a bit. Prefer the MRP style anyday.

Similar Products Used:   MRP System 2-love it

Bike Setup:   02 Avanti Hotdog-02 Shiver SC, Avid BB5, RaceFace Northshore DH cranks, Mavic D321s, MRP System 2, Husselfelt oversize bar and stem, FSA Pig DH pro...blah

Submitted by Kenneth So a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2004

Strengths:    Does the job. Fairly beefy.

Weaknesses:    Roller is just lamesauce. Tank sound is hypnotic. Causes me to fall asleep at the handlebar.

Bottom Line:
The guide is pretty good. Given that I paid $30 CDN. for it.

If you have a headache over your Boxguide, check the following link out. My chain has NEVER fallen off my Boxguide after I did some 30 second R&D.

To all the idiots out there who say the guide sucks, it really doesn't. Maybe it's because you suck and don't know how to set it up properly.

The only part that does suck is the no-bearing roller which is pretty dumb for a big market component company. And the fact that it's a Truvativ drops it down a couple.

Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase. Cheap, works like a $160 MRP minus the quietness.

Favorite Trail:   North Shore

Similar Products Used:   MRP, Blackspire.

Bike Setup:   Assquatch, DJ, 8" Mags, Chris King, D-track, the usual.

Submitted by Kev Heffer a Weekend Warrior from Brighton UK

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2004

Strengths:    Infinitely adjustable and easy to adjust/setup. Does exactly what its meant to.

Weaknesses:    The boxguide once got blocked up with mud that had been drawn through on the chain, made pedaling pretty tough, but it was in extremely muddy conditions. Not really a weakness.

Bottom Line:
I would suggest the reviewer who claims to be un-able to pedal backwards without the chain coming off has not set the thing up properly.. I've had the chain come off ONCE when I landed pretty heavily with the bike sideways, backpedaling hard and yanking the chain over the roller. For the money I think its a great product. Before fitting it I was throwing the chain 6 - 8 times a ride.

Purchased At:   Rayment Cycles Brighton

Bike Setup:   04 Stiffee, 02 Shiver SC's, EX721's on Hope Bulbs, XT and Hussefelt bits and bobs.

Submitted by SuperCatBarf a Downhiller from PDX, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2004

Strengths:    Works perfectly, totally silent.

Bottom Line:
Set-up was so easy I thought I'd forgotten something. I followed the directions and my chain has never fallen off. This thing is completely silent and so smooth it's like it's not even there. I love my Evil guide, but was looking for a cheaper alternative for my low-budget urban/dj hardtail. I'm totally impressed with this guide. Great product!

Purchased At:   unrealcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Evil SRS

Bike Setup:   Free Agent Betty, Marz z1, Truvative Hussefelt cranks, XT rear derailleur. Not running a bash guard on this particular bike.

Submitted by Alex a Downhiller from Edmonds, Wa, Usa

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2004

Strengths:    Looks cool I guess.

Weaknesses:    Everything...anytime I hit a small lip or anything at high speed I cant keep the damn chain on...it's ridiculous. Just buck up the extra money for an evil. I bet a double bashguard would be better than this. I cant even pedal backwards at all. This might not be a bad guide if you ride CC, but for any freeride or downhill, dont touch this thing.

Bottom Line:
Its not worth the money at all. Get an Evil or Mr. Dirt.

Favorite Trail:   Whistler!

Submitted by mike Toole a Downhiller from Holland MI

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2003

Strengths:    makes a good door stop

Weaknesses:    this thing is Crazy loud and lots of rub, only works well when you have it perfectly adjusted. (whitch is hard, and I work at a shop)

Bottom Line:
it's nice if you like the sound of your chain rubbing against plastic or you dont realy need a chain guide or if you can get it adjusted and then never touch the thing.

Favorite Trail:   downtown GR