Third Eye Chain Watcher Chain Accessories

2.73/5 (11 Reviews)

The Third Eye Chain Watcher is probably the least expensive way to prevent your chain from accidentally dropping your chain off of your chainrings onto your frame. Essentially once mounted, the small resin bulge sits close enough to the chain so that if t

Submitted by chamucos a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Cost

Weaknesses:    Everything Else

Bottom Line:
Bike shop used this on my original 1x9 29'er build. Switched to the N-Gear Jump Stop after dropping the chain multiple times with the 3rd eye. Bought a new frame this year and the Jump Stop I had was not compatible becasue of a smaller diameter seat tube so I threw on the 3rd eye. Dropped the chain twice in 2 weeks. It's a piece of junk. The plastic fang just bends or grinds down and lets the chain slip by. Also, attaches using a hose clamp that contacts the seat tube directly and could damage the paint. I learned my lesson - the N-Gear is the way to go - period. This time, I'll throw the 3rd Eye away.

I trashed my chain and nearly ruined the cassette and broke some spokes. Don't make that mistake. That's my reason for the low value rating - even though it's cheap, using it could result in damage to expensive components. Get the N-Gear Jump Stop for basically the same price.

Favorite Trail:   Duxbury Woods

Purchased At:   Part of bike build

Similar Products Used:   N-Gear Jump Stop

Bike Setup:   Custom 29er

Submitted by ghostrider75 a Weekend Warrior from vilseck DE

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
It is good for the roadi's. Spend the extra cash and buy a chain gaurd. My six yearold bought it for me.

Purchased At:   price point

Bike Setup:   Ghost AXS 5100

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Cary, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2006

Strengths:    It works well for the two bike/trike I have it on. One is old Trek 850 that is over 10 years old. The trike is a Whizwheelz recumbent trike -- have used the chain watcher for over 6 months now.

Weaknesses:    None for the Trek 850 -- easy to install. For the trike, it was a very tight fit due to the angle of front derailler post.

Bottom Line:
Inexpensive and effective. For a well-tuned setup it is probably not needed. I found no need for it on the old Trek Y-22 that I have ridden for years.

Favorite Trail:   L. Crabtree Co. Park

Similar Products Used:   None -- don't know of any.

Bike Setup:   NA

Submitted by Jeremiah a Cross Country Rider from West Richland, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I admit it is not the best built product, but for the price it is worth it. For XC riding you will not be needing this if you have a properly adjusted front derailleur, straight chain rings, and a good oiled chain. Since I have a magnesium frame I have to take certain safeguards and this is one of them. Magnesium frames are light, smooth, and just awesome, but they are highy corrosive.

Buy this as a safegaurd not as a solution to your chain falling off. Also, this will not prevent chain suck. If you are a DH rider get a more expensive system.

I will keep you updated.

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Litech 17" Magnesium Frame/SRAM X.0 Components/A lot of other stuff

Submitted by yohon mcfly a Weekend Warrior from anchorage, alaska

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    CHEAP

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING ELSE!

Bottom Line:
THIS THING SUCKS! the previous reviews are correct, if it was made of something stronger it would be better. the plastic just bends and the chain pushes right past it!!!! it works "ok" if you're just doing wimpy riding but as soon as you land or go through really rough stuff it's all over. SAVE YOUR MONEY... i wish i could afford a REAL chainguide...does that anti-suck thing work i wonder?

Favorite Trail:   hills

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   NONE, I NEED TO FIND SOMETHING!!!!!!!

Bike Setup:   HARO WERKS DSR

Submitted by Chris L. a Cross Country Rider from Little Falls, NJ

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Strengths:    nothing

Weaknesses:    flimsy pc of plastic - barely fit my bike

Bottom Line:
this crap shattered on my 2nd ride - if you have problems with chain drop bad enough to warrant use of one of these, this will working 2 or 3 times and then it will snap like a twig. As for me, i ended up gettig a race face turbine lp isis and trashed the stock coda crank. No chain drop anymore! Also got in habit of cleaning my chain after every 1-2 rides and use wet oil (finishline)forget white lightening.

Purchased At:   peformance

Bike Setup:   cannondale 3000 SL

Submitted by Nader a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2000

Strengths:    Light
Simple
Effective

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This little piece of plastic has completely eliminated chain-droppage for me. 5 chilis for keeping me in the saddle.

Favorite Trail:   all

Bike Setup:   Ti hardtail with single 30t ring up front with Spot ring-guard, and 8-speed in rear

Submitted by brian t a Cross Country Rider from middlesex

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2000

Strengths:    It did keep the chain fron dropping once ( I think).
cheep $7.
light.

Weaknesses:    it broke on second ride

Bottom Line:
This thing is junk.
It broke on he second ride.
It may keep the chain from dropping, but so does a properly adjusted derailer.
It is so thin and flexy the chain will push past it and then there is no way to get the chain back out because it is shaped like a barbed hook (easy to get in, hard to get out)

Favorite Trail:   c.rock

Similar Products Used:   none, I found that with the proper drive line adjustments stuff like this isn't needed

Bike Setup:   Jamis team dakar
A-bomb
lx, xt, xtr
king
sun

Submitted by Cel Alvarez a Weekend Warrior from Auburn, WA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2000

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Broke the first time I used it. Shop owner insisted it would work.

Bottom Line:
It might have worked if it was made of metal. Do they make a metal one?

Favorite Trail:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Outlook

Submitted by joe a Cross-Country Rider from pvb, FL

Date Reviewed: October 11, 1999

Strengths:
This works well for what you pay for...
Keeps the chain from falling off the granny on the downshift. Prevents chainsuck from getting into an irreversible jam.

Weaknesses:
Clamp IS sharp edged.
Adjustment screw is in a VERY awkward place for large tubed bikes (my CAAD3). I had to modify the clamp and plastic piece to fit properly.

Bottom Line:
Do they still sell these?
Is there something a bit more sano?
Wish someone made one with a better clamp - like frnt derailleurs have...maybe I will mod my old FD...
I had to melt a hole in the back of the clamp cover and cut it down on the front strap so that it would slide down far enough on my C-dale.
Does what it is supposed to do- I would not ride/race without it...
I would give it 3.5 but since there is no half rating...

g-ville

more than 3 years

None. Are there any similar or better?

CAAD3, Mani4, 7spd XTII, thumbies!!!

Submitted by Scott a Cross-Country Rider from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap

Weaknesses:
Doesn't fit my frane/derailler setup

Bottom Line:
Well, it may have worked but I don't have enough clearance between my derailler and bottom bracket shell. Need about 3 to 2 mm more. Too much material, may try to cut off some to make it fit the junction between the downtube and shell. Who knows if it will work? Gave it 3 stars for the possibility of working, the clamp is very sharp and will mar your frame if you aren't careful. BE WARNED!

less than 1 month