TekTro Anti-Chain Suck Plate Chain Accessories

1.96/5 (24 Reviews)

Tektro Anti-Chain Suck Plate

Submitted by Ted a Downhiller from Maine

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
I got this thing istalled because chain suck actually destroyed my old frame, which i just had warrentied. It worked a couple of times, but the bolting is so bad that it just slides out of place given a few good hits. Try taking a decent sized drop and the thing craps out - - any chain suck the device blocks also knocks it out of place. Overall, the thing is crap. The chain suck continues, and this thing only serves to fall out of place when on the trail. The solution? - hit it back into place with a hammer (random rock) before it grinds your back tire to shreds. I'm getting a chain guide.

Favorite Trail:   none worth talking about

Bike Setup:   RM Flow '04

Submitted by pimpbot a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2003

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work. Gets knocked out of line easily, make chainsuck worse, crappy one bolt mounting, doesn't actually fix the core issue.

Bottom Line:
I had an issue with chainsuck in poor weather. I popped this POS on thinking it would keep the chain from damaging my frame. When the chain sucks it just knocks the plate out of line and jams the chain in between. THe only way to free the chain is to kick the rear pedal down, which damages the chain and possbily the chainrings.

I mounted this with the one bolt it came with, cranked the holy heck out of it trying to keep it from slipping, but that didn't work. I drilled out a new bolt hole (for the one bolt it came with, how lame is that?) closer to the crank side, trying to change the leverage angle, but that didn't fix it either. I took it off, and while still chainsucking, my bike doesn't get disabled and come to a dead stop when it happens.

My advice to anybody concidering this thing, fix the core issues causing your chainsuck instead of trying to mask the issue.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   Cycle Sports

Bike Setup:   Giant Hardtail with XT drivrtrain.

Submitted by PhD a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, PA USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2000

Strengths:    It works if installed properly.
Inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Had to grind to fit.
Really have to tighten.
Don't think you can use it on a bottom-pull derailleur.
Bolt rusts.

Bottom Line:
The best $5 I've spent on my bike. I purchased both the regular and light-weight versions but have used only the regular to date. The light-weight version doesn't look rugged enough -- but the weight difference is minimal -- and the standard version works. I had to grind both the bottom and top plates to get it close enough to the chain rings on my 9 speed. You really have to tighten this thing down. It moved on me once when initially installed, but after tightening again, it has never moved. I also think the key is to STOP pedaling immediatley as soon as you feel the chain catch. Back off and chain suck is gone. This has saved my titanium frame on numerous occasions -- at least once or twice per ride in messy conditions. The only scratches I have are from before I installed it. And for $5-$10, it is worth a try to see if it works on your bike.

Favorite Trail:   Brady's Run

Similar Products Used:   Is there anything else?

Bike Setup:   Mongoose DX 10.9, full XTR, SID XC

Submitted by niceguy a Weekend Warrior from slo, ca

Date Reviewed: June 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
i bought this product thinking that it would help to prevent my chain from scratching up my frame. well, it didn't. i got back from a tough ride and found a lot of scratches while washing my bike. a friend gave me a great tip to keep the frame from getting scratched. take an old tire (go to lbs for a used tire) and cut it into a long strip the size of the frame near the chain. take some zip-ties and tie the cut tire to the frame. shi-bam, you've got a friendly chain guard that doesn't cost you anything and will last just as long as your bike. happy riding.

less than 1 month

Submitted by Geoff a racer from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: January 26, 1999

Bottom Line:

more suck than anti......just buy a lizzard skin chainstay guard.....
now i must make the 30 word quota so this review will be posted as a matter of fact, all tecktro products suck.....

Submitted by Crash a cross-country rider from Radford, VA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 1999

Bottom Line:

THis gizmo really does suck. My experience included the chain catching up in the plate as well as the plate sliding back and blocking the rear tire. I actually had more complications with chain suck after installing this ugly piece of garbage! Safe yourself the time, $ and hassles. Just check your shifter cables adjustment every so often. Hmm... no zero flaming Mr. hankys, so...

Submitted by NA a racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is a peice of crap, don't waste your money if you have ovalised chainstays. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Submitted by monkeyboy a cross-country rider from Redfield, SD

Date Reviewed: July 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

These things are pretty cool. It keeps me from sucking my chain, eating up my frame, and anything else bad that might happen but don't have the time to write about. The only problem I have had with it is when it gets hit it moves. I fixed that with some friction tape. Now my chainsucking worries are over!! I recomend these to anyone who reads this. Oh yeah, and you do have to take it off to clean your bike. I give these things five flaming bananas.

Submitted by Felipão a weekend warrior from Brazil

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

This plate sucks!!!!Shitty plate,never worked!!!!Now I'm going to POLISH my chainstay because there is NO paint on it,just scratches!!!!Some people say it happens because I'm using 22-34-46 chainrings,but it really sucks!!!!I hate it and it also doesn't offers clearance for the front derailleur cable.Save your money!More five words just to post my review!!!

Submitted by Tony a cross-country rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Tektro Anti-Chain Suck Plate works fine. If installed properly it will not move about and it cause no problems when removing my wheel. It is a great piece of equipment and there is no reason to buy the over priced Ringle. My frame has suffered only the damage incurred before I owned the tektro piece.

Submitted by Forchelet Daniel a cross-country rider from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

I had some chain suck problem when I got my new XC MTB last March. What a pain to scratch the paint !!! I tried out the Tektro thing... well, it's worse with it: it doesn't prevent chain suck at all and there is no way to prevent the thing from moving around. I get rid of it after it moved towards the rear tire and blocked the rear wheel. I didn't crash and was happy that the bloody thing didn't hurt any bike's part (ie chainwheels).Now, I maintain very carefully the chain and the front derailleur settings and try not to change rear and front gears in a savage and uncoordinated manner (especially under race stress). Chain suck now very seldom occurs.My conclusion: The Tektro anti chain suck plates thing is not only useless, it's also dangereous for you and your bike !!! Avoid even looking at it in the shop ... it's wasted time.PS: I have got other Tektro products, like multiusage tools, brake levers on my son's bike ... they are great and tagged at an acceptable price.Daniel Fofo Forchelet.

Submitted by Rich a cross-country rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: April 24, 1997

Bottom Line:

Biggest waste of ten dollars. It never worked. What I did to
protect my beloved Dean was to use a piece of sheet metal and two hose clamps.
I wrapped the chainstay (where the chain hits during chain suck)with the sheet metal and used two hose clamps to secure
it. Whenever chainsuck occurs it scratches and gouges the sheet metal, not the
titanium tube. This cost me about $1 and the hardware store used snips to cut
the sheet metal for me. I've used it for over a year without any trouble. ---Richard

Submitted by Ryan Amirault a cross-country rider from Plymouth, MA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 1997

Bottom Line:

All I can say is it sucks. You can't get your wheel off with out deflating the tire. Did I say It sucks. I'll give it one star but it should be -4

Submitted by kevin a cross-country rider from columbs,oh

Date Reviewed: March 28, 1997

Bottom Line:

not to bad.better than spending twice as much for an identical ringl'e product.
the thing functions marginally ,worse in mud but,what do you want for
$9.99?it has saved my expensive allu frame from seriuoise turture.
it may not prevent chain-suck but it does protect the bottom bracket
area of youre bike when it does happen.

Submitted by Eric Greene a weekend warrior from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 25, 1997

Bottom Line:

No problems with it and my frame is still in great shape. the only little problem is that it tends to slide out of place after a while.