Ringlé Anti Chain Suck Chain Accessories

2.82/5 (22 Reviews)

Ringle Anti Chain Suck

Submitted by Jim Mason a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock, CO

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    Light
Well-designed
Simple

Bottom Line:
Jared is right. The NGear product is way better than the Third Eye or the Ringle or Ringle immitations. It is simple and effective with true adjustability to ensure it can be positioned precisely. Massively better design, massively better materials, way more endurance. I talked to Nick at NGear for about 10 minutes and that guy REALLY understands mountain biking, the forces on a chain, and the importance of you bike working when you want/need it. Give him a call - www.gvtc.com/~ngear.com or 1-800-659-4607. My rating is for the Ringle; I'd give the NGear 5 chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Dakota Ridge

Purchased At:   www.gvtc.com/~ngear.com or 1-800-659-4607

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Instinct

Submitted by Rob a Cross-Country Rider from Best (The Netherland (Europe)

Date Reviewed: June 14, 1999

Strengths:
It works
Weights next to nothing
Easy to install
Keeps my chain from eating my bike

Weaknesses:
What weakness

Bottom Line:
These anti chain-suck thingies work. Mine is not the Ringle one (at least not that I know of, got it for about $10) but the design is all the same anyway.
And for you guys stating 'don't get these, lube your chain instead, adjust derailers, etc. blahblahblah'. This is not the case. I just got my bike back from my dealer (5 flaming turds to those guys) and I had a chain-suck within the first mile (new chain, new chainrings, new cassette, derailers adjusted). That reminded me to re-install this sweet thingie (just wished they had a red one when I bought it, awh hell, hand me the can of spray paint Watson).5 flaming 'whatever you call them'.

any

CODA clipless pedals
Giro 'Fizik Nisene

Submitted by Jared Morris a weekend warrior from Rough and Ready

Date Reviewed: August 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

Screw the Ringle! Get the N-Gear Jump Stop. I am not a rep for the company, it just kicks. not only does it stop chain suck, but it totaly eliminates derailment too. It is a simple cabon clamp with a stainless steel thingy that stops chain jump. It costs ten bucks and only weighs 30 grams. www.gvtc.com/~ngear.com or 1-800-659-4607

Submitted by keith a racer from colorado

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have owned bicycle shops and have raced the expert class for 15 years. I've used this on several bikes including my wifes. I have found that no matter how well your bike runs that you can still chainsuck even if it is only once a year. This product is the best on the market and by far better than anything that comes OEM.

Submitted by Nick a cross-country rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: June 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

K... sure I haven't rode on this product b4 but after suffering major chainsuck on my Cannondale F3000 during a ride I decided to get one from Colarado Cyclist... I hear all you yitching about how much it sux and how ure better off just keeping ure chain clean. How can u keep ure chain clean if ure riding a mtn bike in the mud u morons. Come on! Sure I clean my chain b4 everyride but that doesn't help when I start going through the mud. And for keeping ure derailleru adjusted no matter how much u adjust it u'll never know how the derailleur will react when u put a lot of force on it when forcing a shift. Think b4 u write... I'll give this thing 5 chilis just to offset all the idiots ratings... Sure it ain't much but at least I'm helping. Expect an update in a month or so when I get the thing and ride it for a while.

Submitted by Dan a cross-country rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: May 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

Transferred same one to 3 different bikes. Works fine, no problems. Essential for technical wet woods riding here, can't reliably ride without one. Lubing evry ride may stop chain suck, but I don't lube every ride and this always stops chain suck...have a nice day i hope this is 50 words ferchristsake...

Submitted by Rob a cross-country rider from ma

Date Reviewed: March 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

Better off spending your time adjusting your chain properly. Buy a 'Lizard Skin.'
Make an ornament out of the Ringle Anti-Suck thing. Cleaning the drive train always helps, and will solve 80% of the problems, keeping your bike lubed will sove the next 10%. The next 10%, go to the LBS. Ah spring. . ..

Submitted by BF a cross-country rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: July 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

Way too expensive for what it does. I never had a problem with it slipping, but didn't care for the mud shelf effect at my bottom bracket. A better solution is to spend some quality time adjusting your front derailleur.

Submitted by Andy a cross-country rider from Stillwater, OK

Date Reviewed: June 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

Stop chain suck? Whatever. I bought it to stop my chain from sucking and wound up breaking a tooth off of my middle chain ring. Learn how to adjust your drivetrain, its a lot cheaper and a lot less frustrating.

Submitted by Joe Scarpelli a cross-country rider from Mountain View, CA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 1997

Bottom Line:

Skip it. As the others said, it just gets turned out of the way by the chain,
and your worse off. Instead keep your chain clean, and get a tensioner...

Submitted by L. DUPRAT a weekend warrior from REUNION FRANCE

Date Reviewed: February 20, 1997

Bottom Line:

THIS RINGLE ANTI-CHAIN...SUCKS...each time the chain hits it ,it turns on its axle(the screw) and you either get the chain stuck in it ,or have your chainrings touching it :both ways oblige you to stop and put everything back in place ,(and your frame is scratched anyway) except the Ringle thing that pou throw away!

Submitted by Logan Cranston a weekend warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've had a one one my Cannondale for 3 years and have ridden in mud many times. I've never suffered chain suck once !!, Expensive but worth it.

Submitted by Jake Ni a cross-country rider from Newton

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1996

Bottom Line:

Whateva! I got one to save my aluminum rig and it has. Aling it so the round edge of the chain link bumps into the plate and rolls the chain off. It works great. 30 green baks? Ouch, but a 600 big ones frame? Oh, @!$? !!!

Submitted by Tim Young a racer from Columbus, O-hell-o

Date Reviewed: November 27, 1996

Bottom Line:

I installed this Ringle thang onto my C'Dale KV900. I was concerned about the steel chain eating through the aluminum frame while riding in the muddy hell known as Ohio. As mentioned before, the plates just rotate around the single bolt holding them across the chainstays after getting hit by the chain. Having the chain get caught between the frame, chainrings, crank, etc. had me flipping the bike over and prying/pulling the chain out during races (errr, not too good :-).So, in an attempt to prevent this rotation i crafted a chunk of aluminum, about 0.5 inches think, to fit into the semi-triangular region behind the BB shell where the bolt goes. I connected the aluminum chunk to the bottom Ringle plate using a roll pin so that they are solidly connected. The bolt goes through the aluminum chunk and connects, as usual, to the threaded upper Ringle piece. The theory was that the aluminum chunk, very tightly fitting into that little space and solidly connected to the bottom, chain catching plate would resist rotation. Well, it kinda works. It would still rotate if the chain hit was a good one. Sooooo... i removed the chainsuck plate. Oh well.... If the chain eats through this frame i guess that i will have to get new one... Hmmm... :-)(Special thanks to Keith in the student machine shop upstairs. :-)

Submitted by Ken Welshons a racer from Baton Rouge, LA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1996

Bottom Line:

This anti chain suck thing is not anti anything, it just sucks. I am a shifter. I shift way to much while climbing, and so I get chain suck a little more than I like. This thing will not stay in position if the chain hits it with any kind of force. I have even had the chain get sucked up past the chain suck thingie and get wedged. Forcing me to remove this thing mid-race and make it a part of a lovely southern nation forest. Know what works better. Just wrap a huge wad of duck tape around the chain stay in the area where the chain suck thing is suppose to stay. (but even that sucks) This thing is over priced anyway!

Anti Chain Suck Plate !

Has anybody got the factory fitted anti chain suck plate fitted to there Nicolai. I went for this option on my Helius FR 2008 model and have been having major problems with the chain getting sucked up and last week it bent the plate by about 90deg so after getting it straight and refitting as close ... Read More »