Rennen Rollenlager S/S Chain Tensioner Chain Accessories

Submitted by zaskaranddriver a Cross Country Rider from Silver Spring MD

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Strengths:    Solid construction, probably the best derailleur hanger-mounted chain tensioner you can buy.

Weaknesses:    Fit: I had to file out the mounting hole so that it would fit my derailleur hanger and operate in the superior "push up" configuration. The supplied washer was too small to accommodate the larger hole so I made a larger one out of aluminum.

Performance: If you grind over a log the force on the chain causes the tensioner to slip, resulting in some degree of tension loss. This might be due to the modifications I had to make, but I doubt it. My chain hasn't popped off after these occurrences but it necessitates readjust after each ride. Also it's not possible on my bike to remove the rear wheel without loosening the big 19mm bolt, which requires carrying a large wrench on rides.

Bottom Line:
My research on the MTBR forums indicated this was the best chain tensioner since it bolts into place rather than using a spring. I concur that it's a superior design. However I'm ditching it in favor of an eccentric hub.

Favorite Trail:   Greenbrier