N-Gear Jump Stop Chain Accessories

4.47/5 (30 Reviews)

N-Gear Jump Stop

Submitted by pat

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2012

Strengths:    light, looks good

Weaknesses:    always comes loose. metal foot always slides into the chainline. Doesn't matter how much you clamp it down. I've even used crazy glue on the clamp and it still came loose.

Bottom Line:
Make this with a metal clamp to alleviate the problem.

Submitted by Isis01 a All Mountain Rider from MONTANA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2012

Strengths:    CHEAP

Weaknesses:    CHEAP. I run a 1x +bash and was expecting this to help with the chain jump issue. It does if the trail is smooth. Once it gets rough or I jump around abit, my chain still leaves, problem is now its stuck under the chain stop. I have run it as tight as you can with no avail. The chain will still get under it and that is a pain. A lot of ride time lost

Bottom Line:
It would probably work okay if you rode smooth trails and never pushed the limits. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it unless all you rode was fireroads.

Favorite Trail:   DEADMANS

Purchased At:   JENSON

Similar Products Used:   None. I did try the disengaged deraileur trick and that worked better, but not perfect

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Isis with stylo 32t up front and 11-36 in rear. Oh yeah, you can do that.
Haro Escape, hardtail, same drive

Submitted by aa240sx a Weekend Warrior from Carlsbad, CA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2011

Strengths:    simple, easy to setup, uncomplicated

Weaknesses:    should prevent chain derailments, but not as thoroughly as a closed cage design like Paul's or MRP.

Bottom Line:
Works great and easy to use. Not really too much to add to the very useful and accurate reviews below. What I would like to say is name a bike company out there that will let you 'try before you buy'. Ordered this directly from N-Gear. Received it and rode around for about 2 weeks to make sure I liked it. Sent payment. Wish more bike manufacturers could be set up this way.

Favorite Trail:   Trail100

Purchased At:   N-Gear

Bike Setup:   Bianchi SOK 29er SS and 1x9 config.

Submitted by skotbb a Weekend Warrior from olympia, wa

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2010

Strengths:    small,easy setup, keeps my chain on, and the price

Bottom Line:
every time i rode this year, i wojld drop my chain atleast a couple times. were'nt to many options that would let me keep my bashgaurd. after reading a few reviews, i decided to get one. no problems since.

Favorite Trail:   greenline #6, capitol forest

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Bike Setup:   06 hardrock sport, shimano hydraulics, raceface cranks and bash gaurd, rock shox tora front fork, 1X8 gear setup

Submitted by Scott O a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2010

Strengths:    works great

Bottom Line:
Best 10 bucks I've ever spent on my bike

Favorite Trail:   Big Liva

Purchased At:   direct

Similar Products Used:   black little nubby thing that does not reach the middle ring on a 1x9 setup

Bike Setup:   Redline d460 1x9

Submitted by augustiner a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte NC

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2010

Strengths:    simple to setup, dirt cheap, great customer service

Bottom Line:
If you're running a single speed, 1 x 9, or have a problem with chronic chain drop, pick one up. Super cheap, very effective...used them on a few different bikes I've built.

Favorite Trail:   Catawba

Purchased At:   N Gear Website

Similar Products Used:   no need, havent tried any other products cuz for 12 bucks, why bother?

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight...Cannondale Gemini..random other projects

Submitted by gijoetx a Cross Country Rider from Minot, ND, USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2008

Strengths:    Simple, easy to install, and adds almost no weight

Weaknesses:    when it lets the chain drop, it is a pain in the ace. But it only happens every so often.

Bottom Line:
It works for the most part. I mean there have been several times where I thought the chain would suicide drop on me and the jumpstop kept it in place. But on that same token, there are times when it does suicide drop on me and I just didn't see why it should have. For ten dollars it was definetly worth it. Atleast until you can afford something better.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Hardrock 08, 8-speed, six inches off the seatpost,avid bb7 front brake, and DK iron cross pedals.

Submitted by tcook a Cross Country Rider from Hollister

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, reliable, service

Bottom Line:
Nick is an awesome guy with a great product and an unbelievable price and service. He has a flexible mount (VHB) for use with carbon fiber frames. If you follow his instructions and have some mechanical ability, this product WILL WORK FLAWLESSLY for most xc riders. I run 1x9 and my chains stay on 30+ mph with a fair amount of hard-tail chatter. You need to remember to shorten your chain to increase tension. Thanks NGear keep up the great job!

Purchased At:   NGear

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Superfly, Specialized stumpy Pro, Specialized HD all 1x9

Submitted by Pedal from Christchurch NZ

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Strengths:    Works reliably, easy set up, good instructions, durable so far, lightweight, cheap

Weaknesses:    Zero

Bottom Line:
When I set up my first 1x8 system I didn't use any sort of chain retention at the front - then I threw the chain a couple times in bumpy sections of trail. Improvised a non-cabled old Alivio 7 speed front derailleur which worked bloody well keeping the chain on the ring but man was that sucker ugly. Got wis & did what we all should do with 1x8 and 1x9s - bash ring on the outside and N-Gear on the inside.

The N-Gear is a remarkable product from a guy who had a good idea, engineered it right and then sold it real cheap. Couldn't be easier to install with his clear instructions and I reckon that strap is way strong - fitted on different bikes I've never lost a chain or had the N-Gear move.

Way I look at it he should change his marketing a little to emphasise use of N-Gear in these single ring/geared rear set-ups - there seem to be quite a few experienced riders doing this.

Five fiery things for a product that solves a problem simply and reliably. Should get a chilli bonfire for value.

Favorite Trail:   Too much fekkin mud

Purchased At:   Alfred E Bike (good webshop)

Bike Setup:   Used this on various 26" & 29" steel frames when running 1x8 & 1x9 gears

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2006

Strengths:    Light, cheap, simple, lifetime warranty.

Weaknesses:    Mounting bracket is plastic.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product at an excellent price. Only downfall I can see is the mounting bracket is made out of plastic, but that has not gave me any problems yet, so I can't complain.

N Gear customer service is awesome, they answered all my questions fast and thoroughly. And they let you try the product before you pay for it, so If you don't like it, just send it back, no hassle.

Highly reccomended.

Favorite Trail:   Salmon Falls

Purchased At:   http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/

Bike Setup:   04 Haro Escape 8.1, 1x9, XT, RhynoLites, BB7's.

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from San Diego CA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2006

Strengths:    Simplicity, Light weight, Durability

Bottom Line:
I converted my bike to a single speed and kept dropping the chain. Now it never falls off. I have since changed my bike to a 1 X 8 speed. I NEVER lose the chain. This thing works.

Favorite Trail:   Every Singletrack

Purchased At:   Direct from N'gear

Similar Products Used:   MRP

Bike Setup:   '06 Stumpjumper, Mars C, XT everywhere, Jumpstop, BBG bashguard

Submitted by Sebastian a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2005

Strengths:    Stops overshifting, period. Easy to adjust. Well designed. Resists corrosion. Protects the beautiful paint job on my road bike from chain damage. Amazing warranty - if it every fails, they replace it or give your your money back. I love that.

Weaknesses:    I didn't have it adjusted right, and the chain slipped past and was hard to get back. That was my fault -- once I adjusted it correctly, I have never had another over-shift.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best products you can buy for 10 bucks.

Purchased At:   www.n-gear.com

Similar Products Used:   Third-Eye Chain Watcher (which really, really sucked)

Bike Setup:   Road and mountain bikes both.

Submitted by Pawel a Cross Country Rider from Okemos, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2005

Strengths:    **Significantly** reduces the frequency of chain jumps.

Weaknesses:    Plastic mounting with a thumb-screw is rather flimsy. The protective plate may be pushed or bent. On occasions the chain still jumps and gets locked under the Jump-Stop plate. Pulling the chain out usually bends a link or two!

Bottom Line:
Works but there is room for improvement. Will keep looking for a better product.

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Hybrid Trek 730 with a rather range of rings (22-44) and cogs (11-34), making occasionally the chain lose and susceptible to jumping. Bottom bracket is w/o flanges, so I cannot try the AJS FrameGuard.

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Wiltshire, UK

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2005

Strengths:    Light, unobtrusive, effective, simple to fit & use.
Beautifully designed. It works really, really well - I don't bother setting the inner adjustment screw on my derailleur anymore - this does the job, only much better.

I fitted a more modern front derailleur recently which had a much bigger cage, and all I had to do was lower the
Jump Stop a couple of mm, and it continues to work just fine.

Nick at N-gear was *very helpful*. You won't find better service anywhere.

Weaknesses:    None found so far.

Bottom Line:
It just works, great. It proved to have a greater impact on my front shifts than:
1. upgrading my front derailleur
2. fitting an anti-chain suck plate (chain suck is clearly much less common that throwing the chain off the top in a down-shift.)

I no longer have to brace myself everytime I down shift - fantastic.

Favorite Trail:   Palatine Forest Preserve

Purchased At:   From http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/

Similar Products Used:   Tektro Anti-Chain Suck Device...although as Nick rightly pointed out - this is to address a completely different chain issue (which in my recent experience is clearly a less common problem than derailment during down shifts).

Bike Setup:   Cannondale SM700 (c. 1991), Shimano LX & DX (& now XT front derailleur). Early road/triathlon grip shift for front shifts.

Submitted by Judith Smith a Weekend Warrior from Olympia,. WA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2005

Strengths:    Elegant and simple design, quality construction, effortless installation.

Weaknesses:    none apparent

Bottom Line:
The bike has always dropped the chain off of the chainring when riding uphill on the 39-27, no matter how the derailleur was set. The chainline is within specs. This seemed like an inexpensive solution, rather than replacing the bottom bracket and cranks, and it works perfectly.

Purchased At:   direct from Nick at N-Gear

Similar Products Used:   none. After researching this and similar products on the web, there was no choice about which to order.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi steel road frame, Ultegra 2x9 STI, with original low-end bottom bracket and crank arms

Can I use an ngear jump stop on a triple?

Just wondering if I can use the ngear jump stop on a triple ring crank to keep the chain from dropping inward while running the middle chainring and a bash guard (1x10) I was under the impression it could be adjusted out far enough to use it on the middle ring on a triple. Thanks in advance for i ... Read More »

Qs about ngear jump stop converting triple to 1x10

N-Gear jump stop sizing template?

I remember seeing a sizing template that you could print and cut out somewhere on their website, but couldnt find it. Anybody know what i'm talking about or am i crazy?Read More »

Alternative to N-Gear jump stop?

So I am converting my Kona to 1x9 and so far everything is working as expected, however I had to put back on my FD as the N-gear cannot slide down far enough as it runs into the low pivot point on my frame. I also have a bash on it already and wanted to see if there were any other guides out there ... Read More »

Product Preview - N-Gear Jump Stop

I picked this little guy up a few weeks ago and am loving it so far..check it out: [url=http://www.singletrackgeek.com/2012/07/product-preview-n-gear-jump-stop.html]Singletrack Geek: Product Preview - N-Gear Jump Stop[/url]Read More »