MRP LRP Chain Accessories

MRP Long Range Patrol chain retention system is a strong and durable systemThat is designedTo be used with a double chainring system. Designed for use withTwo chainrings Max-tooth designations referencesThe maximum size ofThe larger chainring CNC machined alloy boomerang Upper boomerang "fin" keep chain from fallingToThe inside ofThe frame E-Type guide allowsShimano derailleurTo be mounted directlyToThe boomerang Polycarbonate Lite bashguard features weight reducing relief se

Submitted by fishwrinkle a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2013

Strengths:    after couple of mods it finally does what its supposed to do.
found it for $75

Weaknesses:    extreme measures taken to get this b***h to work.
1. ditch the granny - bolt on bolt contact. maybe could've bought handful of shims but shouldn't have to
2. trim down bolt length of mounting bolts
3. bend yourself a 6mm offset in tension arm to get "best chainline"
4. replace roller with a blackspire through bolt, instead of the weird 2 bolt mrp way. broke the mrp "axle" twice

Bottom Line:
that i believe sums it up.

Purchased At:   amazon

Submitted by BackwardsTires a Weekend Warrior from US

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2009

Strengths:    Holds the chain on where it used to jump off; solid roller construction; new black one looks pretty good; very little friction

Weaknesses:    metal bashring is very thin and "dentable"; otherwise, no

Bottom Line:
This is a great product but buy it for the guide, not the bashring.

It works great, looks good and most importantly, holds the chain right where it should be.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota 29er
this bashring
crankbrothers mallet 1 pedals
custom wheels

Submitted by wheelmantom a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Strengths:    Wish I knew!

Weaknesses:    Poor compatability

Bottom Line:
MRP website shows the LRP to be compatible with the Moment and it's 73mm BB. Perhaps they didn't take into account the external type BB when making this claim. Because the LRP guide arm replaces the single 1mm BB spacer used during installation, the bolts for the small chainring rub. The addition of a second spacer ring to provide clearance binds the external BB bearings when trying to fully seat the drive side crank arm onto the spindle. LBS has looked at the problem and suggests milling a groove in the guide arm. More $'s into an already overpriced product.

Favorite Trail:   SART

Juicy 7
RF Atlas

Submitted by Romie from LA, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2004

Strengths:    Light, durable and very simple!

Weaknesses:    Obviously the "bash ring" taht comes with the unit is not, in fact a "bash ring", but more of a race for the guide roll on. Wish they had a different color roller, other than just ORANGE!

Bottom Line:
This is a good product if you pair it with the Race Face "Bash Ring". Have not dropped a chain since installing, but have "sucked in the chain" while swithing to my small chain ring. This also happens to my buddies E13, so I guess it's normal for chain guides.

Good Product, light weight and easy to install.

I recommend it!

Favorite Trail:   Del Cero aka PV

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Flat black '04 Yeti ASX, Cane Creek 1.5 XX head set (awesome!!), Hayes Comps, Marzocchi Jr T (very plush!), Intense Mag 30 rims (STRONG!!), WTB Moto Raptors (not sure what all the fuss is about, these have been good to me), WTB Race seat (comfortable), MRP LRP (so far, so good!), Race Face North Shore XS cranks (stiff and fairly light)!

Submitted by Jimmy Superfly Snooka from Fiji

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
Simple and effective.. I used to the chain on every ride, most on jumps and drops.

Got tired of it and went to the shop and asked for the cheapsest priced chain guide for a double ring and they told me it was the LRP for $90.Chain has not fallen off since installing this pupster. You don't need the frame mounts to install this. The roller guide arm installs by using the BB driveside to keep it in place. Simple.

The bashring that it comes with is thin and not a really a bash ring. It's more like a retainer plate because it just keeps the chain on the large ring more than protect it from logs and stuff. It's thin and tad thicker than a disc rotor. That's the only complaint really.

The LRP is quiet and has no friction so pedalling is normal and you hardly even know it's there.

Submitted by Bryan Lord a Downhiller from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Strengths:    well built and designed. Fits very well and stays where you put it thanks to the BB set screws. Never lost a chain yet.

Weaknesses:    bash ring is a little soft. Price is not acceptable. Cheap bearings used in roller.

Bottom Line:
Great product, Price needs adjusting but all and all it does what it was bought for. Only way to go if you want to run low range.

Favorite Trail:   Mt 7

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Azonic (MRP Sys 1)

Bike Setup:   Marin Team DH.

Submitted by Chris Dainton a Downhiller from Derbyshire, UK

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2003

Strengths:    Does what its designed to.
Chain not yet come off during a race.

Weaknesses:    Not found any yet.

Bottom Line:
No complaints.

Ride the thing DH and XCFreeride. Means I can peddle my 44lber up the hills (that always causes a stir when I go out with sub22lb XC lightweights).

Chain never come off, changing sweet: have bike set up with real short chain using short-arm Durace and small rear block. Nice.

Go buy one.

Favorite Trail:   Les Gets, France

Bike Setup:   02 Bullit with long travel Romic rear shock (gives 8.75", OH YES), '03 Super-Ts

Submitted by J from Carmichael, CA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2003

Strengths:    Fairly effective (yet simple) device. Functions fairly well...

Weaknesses:    Takes a little bit of tinkering to dial, not much.
Guide arrival is also accompanied by endless monkeying with your front derallieur to return it to its previous shifting ability. It is a farce to call that skinny little thing a bashplate. Also it is horrendously expensive...i.e. overpriced. It does do what it says, but...

Bottom Line:
I am a sea donkey for buying either one of these guide systems, I've decided it is alomst foolish to buy a guide system for a double ring setup until these companies have really got a functional product developed. Then again, maye I am a hamfist who set 'em both up in botched fashion. At any rate, if anyone out there is aspring to sea donkeyhood, they should purchase the Blackspire product. I am going back runningj ust a regular two ring set up, and will correct my abhorrent riding style to keep from dropping the durn chain. Sorry MRP. Not the hot sauce. And too expensive..

Similar Products Used:   Blackspire Dualie. Its beefier and more effective and and cheaper and (maybe sheer luck, maybe not) Canadian. Get that one if you are in the market.

Bike Setup:   02 RM Switch-Super T- Hayes F&R-Race Face cockpit-SRAM x.o(ahhhhhhhhhhh) RF NS Cranks etc. - nice rough little bike

Submitted by John Y a Weekend Warrior from Oak Harbor, WA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Strengths:    Never drop the chain, looks pretty sweet.

Weaknesses:    The bashring is friggin' skinny, I haven't totally destroyed it yet, but I'm sure I will pretty soon.
Price seems steep for a simple device.

Bottom Line:
Pretty decent piece of hardware, except for the weak ass bashring. Very few parts (3). Switch out the skinny bashring for a beefier one, and you'd have a nice setup.

Purchased At:   Bicycles Northwest

Bike Setup:   2001 Kona Stuff, MRP LRP, WTB Weirwolf 2.5

Submitted by CaveMan a Downhiller from Rhode Island

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Strengths:    Easy Installation
Works as Intended

Weaknesses:    Thin "Bashring"

Bottom Line:
I've had this thing on my bike since I bought it and haven't dropped the chain once during those months of trails, urban, drops, and downhilling. Shifting is perfect and I haven't hit the roller arm on anything, even without raised chainstays it seems you can tuck it up high enough to avoid contact with logs or rocks. The only drawback is the thin "bashring", it's not really a bashring but rather a chainguide. I'm sure the roller would work fine with another real bashring but it sucks to have to buy something to replace half of this great but overpriced product.

Favorite Trail:   ADT

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   02.5 Bullit: RF Prodigy DH cranks,RF Evolve FR BB, PC-99 chain and 11-34 cassette.

Submitted by Scott a Downhiller from Lake Tahoe, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2002

Strengths:    Chain stays on. No more suck

Weaknesses:    Shifting performance suffers. Expensive

Bottom Line:
I'm real happy with the thing. I paid my local bike shop $15 to install it and I've had no problems. The only down side is that my shifting got kind of crunchy. I loosened the tension a both ends of the cable and that helped a lot.
Since I've had the LRP I have not dropped my chain once. Before the chain guide I would drop my chain at least 3 or 4 times on my local downhill. I would recommend it to anyone who has trouble with chain suck or chain drop.

Purchased At:   some online bike store

Bike Setup:   01' Stinky / Zocchi Jr. T / Azonic Love Seat / Race Face 50mm stem / 2.5" riser bar / BETD 6" rear travel linkage

Submitted by db one a Downhiller from Outer Space

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2002

Strengths:    Uhhh ..ummm...Well the chain stays on.

Weaknesses:    The stupid plate holding the roller makes contact with what ever I'm rolling over and moves up into my chain stay

Bottom Line:
Some people have no problems with the LRP(loose range patrol) I wish i was one of those people... My roller bolt snapped trying to hop onto a rock and the roller plate keeps moving into the chainstay while riding over obstacles. The set screws are tearing up my bottom bracket whenever the plate moves which is about every 15-20 minutes. I've tried to crank down on the BB cup to prevent it from moving but no luck..I guess i'll try teflon plumbers tape on the cup to prevent it from loosing up...When it's working, then everything is great but when it's not ...it really ruins your ride.

Favorite Trail:   Dutcher Pass

Similar Products Used:   Kore Chain reactor (WACK!!!)

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky-02' Marzocchi Jr T.-freeride setup

Submitted by nh dude mntbiker84@hotmail.com a Downhiller from NH

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2002

Strengths:    simple installation, does what it is intended to do, it keeps the chain on.it is also quiet and does not interfere with shifting.

Weaknesses:    the MRP bash ring, that is provided with the lrp, is skinny as a six year old. chain will sometimes derrail when pedaling backwards how ever it takes several revolutions.i needed a bb with a longer spindle in order for successful installation.retail it is expensive.

Bottom Line:
i heard this thing sucks, but contributed the heresey to poor installation. so far it works good and has yet to drop a chain since installation.i did not bother to install the bash gaurd that mrp provides because my blackspire ring god is twice as thick and has been used and abused all season.works good.

Purchased At:   cost

Bike Setup:   sixxer flats, bomber, Lrp

Submitted by Ken Hatch from Chico

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2002

Strengths:    Absolutly no fear of chain droping on to the BB. I can jump my bike now, you can't be dropping chains when your trying to jump... Getting it inspired me to go with a 36 tooth middle ring and 24 tooth granny, which seems to be perfect with an 11-34 cassette. I have an xtr rear derailuer and an xt top pull/swing front, which helps keep things smooth. This setup rides better then any gearing I have ever ridden. I have 9 gears on the middle ring that cover the range of my ridding. 25mph fire road runs are ok on the 36/11 ratio, and 36/34 eats up all but the very steepist of rocky climbs. I seem to ride around the middle 5 cogs on the rear cassette when going through the technical sections. If you try this gear setup with an LRP, you will never go back. I'm so freakin happy...

Weaknesses:    NONE, I seem to have the new type of roller which has two diferent heights to the guide area, and I can backpedel perfectly. Its probably an easy fix to switch rollers, for those without the improved one.

As to the cost, I guess they are coming down as mine was 100.00 not the 120 or so people have been complaning about. And while I agree that I too wish the price was lower, you have to take into acount that your not paying for a peice of metal and rubber, your paying for people to dedicate there lives to bringing us better performing drivetrains and such.
Research, development, administration, marketing, and overhead (saleries, rent, etc...) all are part of the final equation. And it works better then I imagined! Woot! you could build your own, I'll get my chainguides from people who have the time to dedicate themselves to it. =D
Sorry for ranting but I'm so happy with the damn thing I'm kinda outa control...

Bottom Line:
A very worthy addition to my dream bike in the making. Anything that sets your bike more to your liking is a plus!
My first upgrade that exceeded my expectations!

Another company is making these as well. Evil Bikes, who I hear make excalent frames, have 2 ring chainguides now.

Dont forget to consider the new 3 ring chain guide by HEIM. I've no idea were these guys are from, but i've seen them for sale at http://www.cambriabike.com/chain&guide/chains.htm

Good luck to all those looking for the perfect drivetrain setup...

Favorite Trail:   trail behind the cabin, tahoe

Purchased At:   CycleSport, Chico

Similar Products Used:   Only single ring guides or 3 ring xtr setups...nothing compares for technical trail rides with uphill sections as well as jumps and drops.

Bike Setup:   01 Diamondback XSL race, 4.25 rear travel (I need a better frame, under 600 bucks with 5" of travel and at least sealed cartridge at main pivot, E-mail me if u gots!) with an sid xc (drop....clank, but hey=). 02 Psylo race at 125mm(makes the ride!), Avid mechanical disc brakes (soon to be upgraded), Thompson elite seatpost (just like everyone else it seems), shimano 646 pedels, Koski stem and dh riser bar, and a sweet drive train:
DT/hugi disc hubs
Mavic f519 rims
xt rear cassette
xtr rear D
lx hollowtech cranks
LRP with 24 and 36 rings
xt front D
A little bit at a time, like a moth in its coocon, this bike will transform itself into the sickest Uzzi slx you have ever seen (it might spend a year as a SC bullet if the funds arent there for slx).

Submitted by Heath a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh,NC

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Strengths:    Keeps chain tight and on hte rings where it belongs. It also removes some of that annoying chain clanking from the chain bouncing around, without having to wrap a tube around your chainstay (I hate that). Very light, and should prove to be durable for all but trials riding.

Weaknesses:    Reputation, by a handful of unhappy users, some of the outer guards may be too soft. May be hard to install for inexperienced wrenches. NOne of these are truly warranted, it works if installed and setup properly.

Bottom Line:
If you can find one on sale, or used it will do the job it was intended to do, but it's not worth $120. Too many people with CNC machines are robbing consumers. There is absolutely no way these things cost over $5 to make. They have hardly anything to them. You can make this yourself if your handy. NOthing groundbreaking or original was used. They use spacers from in-line skates to hold the roller on. Great money making idea, but shop around for a better price.

Purchased At:   online (used)