MRP 2x Dual Ring Chainguide Chain Accessories

2.8/5 (5 Reviews)

MRP 2x Dual Ring Chainguide 36-38t: Shiftable guide for SRAM and Shimano 2X cranks. Patented removable skid. Dual 9t sealed-bearing pulley design for superior chain management. BB, ISCG and ISCG-05 mounting options, 136g

Submitted by John a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2013

Strengths:    Does its job...if set up perfectly and you don't hit anything too hard...so I guess it doesn't do it's job.

Weaknesses:    1. Pulleys will fall off and be lost if you don't follow the torque settings exactly.
2. The bash guard breaks and allows the chain guide portion to smash into your chainstay.

Bottom Line:
I put this device on my bike so I could attempt pretty gnarly stuff and not have to worry about my chainrings getting destroyed or whether my chain would stay on. My experience seems to be typical.

First, the LBS installed it without checking the pulley bolt torque and the entire pulley assembly got left somewhere on the mountain at Mammoth. They replaced it, but the replacement pulley assembly arrived missing essential hardware (spacers).

Now, I whacked an edge on South Mountain in Phoenix while doing a pretty tall step-up and the 2X broke at the upper tabs where the plate bolts to the frame, nowhere near the impact site. (On the Ibis Mojo HD, the 2X is secured by a large bolt through the lower suspension pivot). The chainguide rotated into the chainstay and to finish the ride I had remove and pocket the pulley assembly and muscle the bashguard back into place. I removed it completely that night and I spent the rest of the multi-day trip avoiding sharp-edged drops and step-ups that I normally attempt, just to save my chainrings.

I think the problem is that this device tries to do too much. The brunt of impacts is taken not by the polycarbonate bashguard's skidplate like their supposed to, but by the chainguide's more vulnerable aluminum arm that extends behind the skidplate. You can tell because the chainguide's aluminum arm has been mangled by impacts and this particular one was hard enough to deform and break it in two places where it attaches to the frame.

I'm going to grind the 2X down to what is essentially an MRP XCG to continue it's life as a skidplate type bashguard only, and install a SRAM G2 derailleur for chain retention. I already have this set-up on a Canfield Yelli Screamy and the combination works quite well. I do have to rotate the XCG back into place after particularly hard hits and I have had to replace the polycarbonate skidplate, so I installed the 2X on my Mojo HD hoping that it would do the job of those two devices and stay put under load.

Unfortunately, it does not.

Favorite Trail:   Guacamole near Hurricane, Utah

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   CalCoast Bikes

Similar Products Used:   MRP XCG 40

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo HD set up for technical riding: 31" Loaded Precision bars, Fox Talas 36, Cane Creek DBAir, I9 wheels, Hope brakes, LEV seatpost, etc.

Submitted by Dustin C. a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2013

Strengths:    Looks cool, low drag, easy to install.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't keep the chain on. Way too flimsy for aggressive trail riding or all mountain.. Broke on second ride.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this to go with my XT 2x10 crank. 26/38T setup. It worked well for almost a year, then I started dropping chains. Each time, I would notice that the plastic guide post had unseated from its slot, allowing the outside pulley cover to rotate. Loosen the pulley bolt and put it all back into place will do the trick until the next ride. I contacted MRP about this, they said the pulley cover was "redone" 10mos ago with a longer guide post and the sent me one. Installed that, did one short ride, good. Raced Downieville today and threw a chain AGAIN.......only this time the guide post was totally gone. It sheared right off. Worse, my chain got looped from pedaling, and bent. Cost me 10 min of race time, but now I also
need a new chain.
Bottom line, if you ride anything bumpy at all, this is not the right guide for you. I'm changing over to a Blackspire Stinger/Blackspire Defender Bash ring, which I know others are using with great success.

Submitted by Bcbert-4

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2013

Strengths:    Does what it is supposed to - prevents chain drops

Weaknesses:    Expensive for what it is. Setup wasn't as easy as other products that do the same thing. Unimpressed y the pulley assembly outer plate. Held on by one bolt and a flimsy plastic leg.

Bottom Line:
Bought it as an add on to a new bike, took it off after two rides. Wasn't as quite or as smooth as I thought it would be.

Submitted by Haines Mountain Biker

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Quiet and fantastic performance. Improved shifting. No chain Loss. Responsive customer service.

Weaknesses:    Guide pully cover is brittle if bashed and it is vulnerable without protection. Bash is brittle and cracked right through on first impact. Repaired with JB Weld and next hit broke it in another place. After years with bash protection from three kinds I never broke one.

Bottom Line:
This is a great innovation for XC. If you are a technical rider and ride hard AM this is way lightweight gear. After replacing the bash and pully cover within 2 months I still love it but it doesn't suit the abuse I had in mind for it.

Submitted by chadalex78 a All Mountain Rider from Ft. Smith

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2012

Strengths:    Keeps your chain on, protects your big ring, reduces slap.. Does what its supposed to do and does it well.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
Really dig this product... Does an awesome job. Must have for any 2x rider.

Favorite Trail:   Lee Creek

Bike Setup:   2008 Kona Dawgma, X0 rear DR Sram drivetrain, Chris King headset & hubs, Stans wheels, Thomson stem and seatpost, Maxxis Minion & Advantage..