Montara Design 3Guide Chain Accessories

• PROVEN IN DOWNHILL AND CROSS COUNTRY RACING AND RIDING

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Daniel Abernethy a Racer from Santa Cruz CA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2008

Strengths:    Works on triples - the only product that does.

Weaknesses:    Not as thick as an XTR BB spacer - Possibly affecting chainline for those without shim stock.

Bottom Line:
    follow up to my original post.

I bought this device to keep my chain on after dropping chain on 2 seperate CCCX DH's.

After taking 2nd in the 06 series, 2nd in 07 spring series, and 1st in 07 fall series this device is a resounding race winning component.

If you ride triple rings and are a hard charger - get one.

These will be marketed by e13 soon, they bought the Heim design. Thats how well they work.

Favorite Trail:   420

Purchased At:   THC

Similar Products Used:   None - no other device on the market that retains chain, allows backpedaling, and triple shifting. Super D secret weapon.

Bike Setup:   BLT - dialed for me.

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Ventura, CA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2007

Strengths:    conceptually unique...

Weaknesses:    Doesn't do what it was intended for.
    Could be beefier.

Bottom Line:
    I read the reviews and I was curious about the Heim's performance because, it seemed to work pretty well. My experience with this guide however, has been far from good. On my first test it threw the chain more often than if I had no guide at all. So, I took it to a pro bike-mech friend for a re-install, just in case, then 4 more re-adjusts and tests of my own, I finally got it to work, up to a point.

The roller derails the chain upon backpedalling when entering a turn in bumpy terrain, causing the chain to drop to next smallest ring. Yes, my derailluer is set up correctly. I've read similar derailling problems for some reviewers.

The flaw is in the rollers design. The roller should be stepped (similar to MRP's, LRP roller) rather then conical. I think a bit of grinding, creating steps, should fix the problem.

Why the guide works for some and not others is a mystery to me. I called Heim twice about how to make it work, he gave me some suggestions, none of which helped because, it was already set up properly. He wanted to sell me more product and ended our conversation with "Umm, this isn't a big company, it's just me and I do this in my spare time, soo!" Hint! Hint!...you're on your own! I called a few more times and sent him an e-mail with pics with no response. Soo, I suppose in his mind he's off the hook and he doesn't have to come up with a solution to this problem. I own a small company too, and ignoring customer complaints isn't an option.

I think stepping the roller is the solution, since it's the roller that's derailling the chain. If this doesn't work then I'm going back to my Zip Tie Roller (Pinkbike.com), it works great for 3 rings and it's virtually free if you have the rollers.

UPDATE: I stepped the roller that comes with the 3guide and it now works great... No more drops. Ironically, it now performs as well as my "welfare chain guide"/"zip tie roller". Oh well!

Favorite Trail:   Anything steep and fast!

Purchased At:   price pt

Similar Products Used:   AC chain guide, Zip tie Roller

Bike Setup:   Stumpy FSR

Submitted by Simon Vowles a Cross Country Rider from Bath. England

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    Simple to install. Simple construction. Fit and forget.

Weaknesses:    Ummmmm. None really, though you have to be careful when tackling large logs or other trail obstructions as you could bend it if come down hard on the bottom bracket / large chainring, but I guess this is the same for all chain devices.

Bottom Line:
    Running 3 rings at the front, the Heim 3 was the only chain guide I could find. I ride aggressive XC and suffered continual chain drop and slap which was scratching the chain stays and seat stays to bits.

Prior to a trip to Morzine inthe Alps, I ordered one of the devices based on MTBR reviews and have been delighted with it. It really is a fit and forget item and, to date, I haven't lost a chain and have even taken the neoprene paint protector off the seat stay as it isn't needed anymore.

Highy recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Browns Folly

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   None. This is the only 3 ring chain guide I could find. Had to have it shipped in from the US as unavailable in the UK.

Bike Setup:   S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 120 / Rock Shox Revelation Dual Air U-Turn Forks / Mavic 717 Rims on Hope Pro II Hubs / Hope Mono M4 200mm Front Brake / Hope Mono Mini 160 Rear Brake / SRAM X9 Rear Mech & Shifters / XT Chainset & Front Mech / Thomson Seat Post & Stem / Easton EA80 Bars / Charge Spoon Saddle / Time Attack XS Pedals...I think thats it at the moment :)

Submitted by Randy a Weekend Warrior from Los Altos, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to install, eliminates chain slap, chain dropping of any of the chain rings, chain suck

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
    If your chain falls off the chain ring going through rough trails, or you hear the nasty chain slap this will solve the problem. Added benefit is elimination of the nasty chain suck that comes from the Shimano chain rings.
    This product rocks!!!

Favorite Trail:   Downieville Big Boulder

Similar Products Used:   First chain guide used other than on a single speed

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro 6" travel, fox 5.0 dhx air, Maverick Duc 32 Fork, XTR and XO parts

Submitted by Grant a Downhiller from Castro Valley

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2007

Strengths:    Light, doesnt make annoying noises like other guides, looks really good

Weaknesses:    None that I have found. I've greased the spindle once when I got it.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great product of for the aggressive XC rider all the way to FR and DH'ers that still want the ability to pedal and bomb downhill. I've only droped ONE chain in the 6 months that I have had it. Its really great. Once its set up correctly there is no turning back. Performance is constant I run mine alittle differently than in the picture above. http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/132132/?action=view¤t=HEIM.jpg

I run it flush with the bash so the chain isnt the only force pulling the guide along. Less wear. Longer lasting.

Great product. Its worth the extra 20 bucks more than a MRP etc.

Favorite Trail:   N*

Purchased At:   rideSFO.net

Similar Products Used:   MRP, Gamut, E13drs

Bike Setup:   06 7point: 04 Super T, RS Pearl 3.1, Sunline lockons, x7's all around, Shimano Saint brakes.

Submitted by Grant a Downhiller from Castro Valley, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2007

Strengths:    Light, does the job well with minimal rolling noise.

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
    Totaly sick! 5 min install. Mount it so it is in contact with ur bash. (I have e13) so the roller rolls with the bash. Less wear and tear on the roller and bearings.

After mounting this lil guide, havnt lost a chain since! Makes hardly any noise! I dont have a problem with losing a chian when backpedaling. But a few guys who ride Santa Cruz bikes have problems with it losing chians.

Bottom line this guide rocks! Super Light, looks snazzy does the job well!

Favorite Trail:   JM

Purchased At:   rideSFO

Similar Products Used:   MRP, e13

Bike Setup:   7point, Super T, RS Pearl 3.1, HEIM guide etc etc.

Submitted by Klaus a Cross Country Rider from Berlin

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2007

Strengths:    very simple construction,
    light
    does exactly what it's supposed to do

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    took me a few minutes to fit it on, ever since I don't have to fumble the chain everytime I did drop or hop...
    I'm one of this no-oily-fingered bikers now!!!

Favorite Trail:   Routes de los Volcanos / LaPalma

Purchased At:   online store

Bike Setup:   pimped Kona Coiler Dee-Lux

Submitted by Andrew a Downhiller from Lawrence, KS

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2007

Strengths:    holds the chain very securely, quiet, light, easy to set up and maintain

Weaknesses:    will cause down-shifting while backpedaling if set up incorrectly. set it up right (experiment a little, it's very serviceable) and this issue goes away

Bottom Line:
    I have used this chain guide for about two years now, but am just now getting around to posting a review. This has been one of the most reliable products I have ever used, and the performance has been great. The Heim 3Guide does exactly what a good chainguide should do: perform it's duty without making its presence known. First off in that regard, I cannot once remember dropping a chain while on a ride, even in some gnarly crashes. Secondly, it is very quiet. The roller is made of a softer plastic, and the only audible noise is a soft grinding sound, nothing obtrusive at all. It's gets the job done, and doesn't make a big scene doing it. Thirdly, Jon at Monatara design is a great guy to deal with, and very helpful. He recently just sent me a new roller designed for use in a 2 ring plus bashguard setup, and it works flawlessly, even better than the 3 ring roller. This guide is a simple, lightweight design that is very adjustable in setup, both in angle and the position of the roller. If you are looking for a guide, especially if your frame doesn't have ISCG mounts, this is the guide for you.

Favorite Trail:   fast, flowy, and sketchy

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   Orange Patriot, Deemax tubeless wheelset, Sherman Flick, Avid Juicy, Holzfeller, Heim 3Guide

Submitted by Michael Lopez a Downhiller from El Centro, CA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2006

Strengths:    Such a simple design that did away with a big problem: the inability to find a 3-ringed chain guide... plenty strong, and does what it job.

Weaknesses:    It comes with its issues as do most things which are easy to fix once you identify them.

Bottom Line:
    It does its Job... you can't really compare it to other 3-ring chain guides because their isn't any other on the market yet; therefore, it is the prime standard. the issue with chain comming off while back-pedaling can be fixed by adding or subtracting washers between the pulley and shaft of the guide to spread it out a tad farther, or bring it closer. If you don't have the pulley adjusted properly, your chain will infact break free of the chain guide... Once you settle these minor problems through trial and error, this is a really great product that has changed the way I've been able to ride. It looks overpriced for what your getting, but when you compare it to the prices of other chain guides, it doesn't look so expensive after all. It can me used with a 3-ring or 2-ring and bash guard.. Not bad at alll...

Favorite Trail:   Anyone I can find

Similar Products Used:   Ethirteen,MRP

Bike Setup:   Fox 40, Manigtou REVOX, XTR, BLA BLA BLA..... I have so many bikes its rediculous...

Submitted by David from Redmond, Washington

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Strengths:    Simple, durable design, and very easy to install/service. I have not dropped a chain since installing the 3-guide.

Weaknesses:    This is more of an installation note. If you use an external bb crank setup, make sure that you do not overtighten the crank arms against the bottom bracket cups. This will cause the bearings to bind and transfer torque to the 3-guide, causing it to rotate up into your chainstays, etc. I did this accidentally with my Race Face Evolve cranks. Backing the arms off a little solved the problem.

Bottom Line:
    This product works as advertised when installed properly, and it is no-brainer must have for any rider (weight weenies too) who doesn't want to drop a chain when using a 2 or 3 ring setup. This is the most versatile chainguide out there, and it costs significantly less than other 2 ring guides. The backpedaling issue is not a problem on trails, but if you cycle the cranks backwards for an extended period of time, the chain will bind against the next highest ring. Not a problem for me, since I ride forwards.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   I have ridden an e13 DRS, and it is much louder, plus you can't run 3 rings if you want to

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant Reign with 3-guide and 3 rings or 2 rings plus bashguard, depending on the trail

Submitted by pc from maryland

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
    This is an ammendment for review below- both the evil drs and mrp long range patrol (and any guide that works with a front der i believe) will also only provide tension for the bottom length of chain. Don't know why i felt the slapping against the front derailler to be less with the evil drs than with the heim but it's probably got little to do with their designs. Anyways, will give it an extra chilly to offset that part of the review which was misleading...

Submitted by pc a Weekend Warrior from maryland

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2006

Strengths:    - simple to set up
    - light

Weaknesses:    - chain can drop when backpedalling
    - not the most secure chaninguide out there
    - somewhat expensive for what it is

Bottom Line:
    Keep in mind that this device will only work with a front derailler- the device does not provide any tension to the top length of chain which will drop without the front der cage. I used to have a prob with the chain dropping while backpedalling- this is inherent in the design of its roller- but you can adjust the front derailler to keep this from happening. Or you can get the mrp stepped roller and you won't have any problems. To sum it up, it works pretty well- i haven't dropped my chain on some pretty rough downhills- but for what you get (a stainless steel arm which you may have to cut down like i did, and a roller), it's worth about $20 max. So unless you're concerned about weight, I'd recommend an evil drs over this which is quieter (with the heim you have to listen to the chain slapping the front der all the way downhill) and more secure.

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   mrp, evil

Bike Setup:   6x6

Submitted by Joe from usa

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2006

Strengths:    Works great as 3 ring set up. Outstanding support for the product.

Weaknesses:    Back pedaling with 2 ring set up with exaggerated tension.

Bottom Line:
    I developed some problems with back pedaling after running the arm and roller up higher to gain more tension. I run a 2 ring set up. Until then it worked as advertised for me.

I ended up cutting some of the arm away so I could raise it more with out worrying about it taking a hit and stabbing my tire.

In order to run it this way I had to put on my LRP roller to have unaffected by back pedaling problems. It's a crossbreed now but just what I want on my Weyless 67.

I rate it 5's as is with 3 ring set up. Had to get rid of tapered roller to work with my mods. I had the LRP roller already so it cost me nothing for the mods and I knew how to make it work.

Favorite Trail:   Below her navel

Similar Products Used:   LRP

Bike Setup:   Weyless 67- Zocchi Z1-3 05, mammoth on rear Ryhno lite on frnt, LX cranks , Deore shifters, Avid mechs and levers, xt rear derailer, lx front, Azonic love seat, thompson stem, king headset, rear hub hope xc, front Zocchi thru axle, fat tires, Easton bars.

Submitted by matt davis a Cross Country Rider from ridgecrest, ca usa

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2006

Strengths:    well constructed, quality steel, sealed bearing roller

Weaknesses:    the roller is tapered and the result is that backpedalling or even ratcheting your pedals will put the chain on the big ring because of this taper.

Bottom Line:
    it does a decent job of keeping the chain on the chainrings...i don't complain about that...i've ridden the bike probably 100 miles since i put it on earlier this month...it will keep the chain held under very rocky conditions...but when i'm railing singletrack, i need to ratchet or backpedal to set up for turns, and i'm not kidding only 30 degrees of backpedal and the chain is pushed onto the big ring because of the tapered roller...when you are on the big ring, then the system works good...but the roller is not designed for using the middle ring properly..this is very annoying and will force me to find something else...i though i was getting something that works for all three rings (hence the name) but infact it was really deisgned for the big ring only...i wrote to Jon Heim about this and he could not understand how this is happening, which is kind of scary in a way...of course he understands what i'm talking about, he just doesn't want to work with you on it....so as an aside, this little business of his is just a nice tax shelter for his mtb habit, wish i had that too...anyway, buy at your risk, but there's a better mousetrap that this

i give it 2 chilis for value because it is a ridiculously easy design (email me if you want the dimensions) and i give an overall rating of 3 chilis because it kind of works but certainly has issues

Favorite Trail:   sketchy or potential