Kore Chain Tensioner Chain Accessories

4.16/5 (19 Reviews)

Kore Chain Tensioner

Submitted by old school mike a Cross Country Rider from van bc canada

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
get 2 stainless washers for eg 3/8' axle
2 stainless machine screws 2" with washers and lock nuts cut off heads of screws flush and smooth
2 1/2" of U shaped stainless track cut to 1 1/4" lengths to fit end of drop-out
center punch and drill small hole in center of U shaped track (thru bottom of U)
file and smooth all sharp ends polish U's
lay out parts clean for tig welding

weld washers to cut off ends of machine screws @ 45 deg. angle to center holes

cool and buff put together and set up on axle tension chain with lock nut on machine screw before bolting axle snug

congrats you just saved some coin and now have a wicked home brewwed kickass chain tensioner
oldschool mike jessica bc

Bike Setup:   dirt trails off road backcountry trials riding 20" hot rodded oldschool bmx frame setup

Submitted by Tony j a Downhiller from nv

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Basically, if you dont want your chain to flop around, get rid of your derailer, or get a chain guide and dont worry about it. But I do admit this is a good product for bmx

Favorite Trail:   bmxtrails

Purchased At:   never purchased

Similar Products Used:   Primo lolipops

Bike Setup:   slalom- Kona, rockshox sylo, hayes disc front,race face crank, and a REAL chain tensioner, or chain guide if you will...
bmx- s&m dirtbike,primo hulahoops w/demolition hubs,pitchfork, povert crank

Submitted by Chirs a Racer from Hughesville, pa

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2001

Strengths:    it real look like it would work, i need something like this, becouse chain slaps around alot in my kinda ridin conditions

Weaknesses:    didn;t fit my bike, Way too expencive

Bottom Line:
the bike guy at the store told me that it would fit, so i took his word for it

Favorite Trail:   loyalsock trail

Purchased At:   country ski and sports

Similar Products Used:   tooth fairy

Bike Setup:   00'Trek 8000 SLR manitou vert/mtr front and rear/ hayes disc brakes front and rear

Submitted by Andrew D a Downhiller from Vancouver canada

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Strengths:    great product? durable great price aswell, hasent broken, and chain never derails

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
great on the hard core canadian trails

Favorite Trail:   cherry bomb, north shore

Purchased At:   a bike shop

Bike Setup:   trek vrx 400 hayes hydro disks, super t's, fox vanilla r, sun double wide rims front and back

Submitted by chris a Weekend Warrior from los angeles ca.

Date Reviewed: June 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this chain tensioner about three years ago. about a year ago I finally replaced my rubber wheel. I didn't think it would ever wear out! I probably could have gotten another year out of it. Once you have it adjusted, it can't be beat. Its worked flawlessly for three years. LOCKTITE all bolts when installing. another fine product by Kore!!

more than 3 years

Submitted by BJ a downhiller from LA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

I gave 5 chiles for the kore elite post and five for the chain tensioner as well. when you have it installed correctly, no other tensioner comes close. Its silent and helps on the shifting. Be sure you have someone that knows what there doing (Travis) and not some salesperson. I locktite every bolt in place. Also kore should be a little more explanatory in their directions.

Submitted by Travis a downhiller from Waterford, CT

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

Last year at the New England Mountain Bike festival, I bought a Kore Chain Reactor cause of the good price. After try for an hour to get it to work correctly ( it would suck the chain into the wheel, wouldn't shift in to the larger cogs and was louder then my chain hitting the chain stays), I brought to back to the guys at KORE to have them put it on. The funny thing was they couldn't even get it to work. You know it's a great product when the people that make it can't even get it to work!

Submitted by mike classen a weekend warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

I use the CHAIN REACTOR down hill uphill through mud and water without any problems NOW! I had the same problem as some of the other reveiws with the arms of the Reactor rotating outward. Well I felt pretty dumb to find out that the bolt at the bottom pivot should be locked down tight after adjustment. This really is a work of art when properly used. Great product

Submitted by Chris Thurney a cross-country rider from San Carlos, Ca

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

My KORE CHAIN REACTOR (correct name) is far better than the last two devices I used. It looks like the Kore boys really gave this one some serious thought. Its very quiet and smooth. All my gears shift with percision.I also have the Kore Elite stem that is of excellant quality as well.

Submitted by Tony Smith a downhiller from Bozeman, Mt

Date Reviewed: February 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

Works great except that all bolts should be loctite'd to prevent Mike and Billy's problems. If anybody needs a custom clamp (to fit a weird chainstay) email me with the dimensions and I may be able to help. I had to make one to fit the oversized rectangle chainstay on my Titus' rear-end.

Submitted by Rich a cross-country rider from Point Pleasant, NJ

Date Reviewed: January 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Chain Reactor was a worthwhile investment... I've tried all the others, including the TWP Sidewinder, which from a design perspective should kick the most ass. The Kore is definitely better. Only problems I had were getting a good positioning on my chainstay, because of tapered tubing. A piece of inner tube wrapped on top of the Lizardskin (yes, on top) took care of the slop. I swear my shifting has been crisper in addition to the chain staying very quietly on my drivetrain. If you've got chain problems, get the Kore.

Submitted by Greg Hansen a weekend warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1997

Bottom Line:

This is a great little product. It was easy to install and setup (took less than 10 minutes). My only complaint came when I first spun the chain over the little wheel on the Reactor. It made a fair bit of noise -- sort of made my bike sound like my tire was rubbing the chain stay. Then an idea came into my head; I cut two small loops (about 1/2) of rubber out of a road bike tube and stretched them over the wheel; perfect fit & the wheel is now completely silent. In addition, I no longer have to worry about the wheel wearing from use -- as soon as the outer layer of rubber is worn out I simply have to cut a new band. One inner tube should last anyone their entire riding life, so no problem at all.Anyhow, since installing I have no more chain slap, and I have even improved my front shifting. Wow!

Submitted by Tim Kalina a cross-country rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1997

Bottom Line:

I installed the Kore Chain Reactor (installation is very, very simple) on my Schwinn XT Homegrown because of a bad chain slap problem on rough terrain and it has really worked wonders. As to the one reviewer who complained about a)wouldn't work with a Lizard Skin
chainstay protector and b)the nut on the pulley came loose. Well, there is a very simple solution to each problem. a) Cut the Lizard Skin in half and install each half fore and aft of the mounting bracket on the Chain Reactor or, better yet, get one of those nice thick rubber WTB chainstay protectors and do the same. b)Put Loc-Tite on the pulley nut. In fact, you should Loc-Tite all the nuts on your bike.

Submitted by Derek Burchman a cross-country rider from San Jose California

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1997

Bottom Line:

THIS CHI-CHI KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forget the Ringle chain suck, You need to put two screws in it to keep it from rotating, but the KORE CHAIN REACTOR is so smooth I dont even know its on my bike!! You must remember that when its all adjusted to the right position you need to lock down the pivot screw on the bottom to keep the arms from swinging out. I noticed alot of people figure thats supposed to rotateat the bottom -NOT SO, I called Kore on it. ITs the GREATEST!! 10 CHILES

Submitted by Brian a downhiller from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

When this cool little gizmo works it is really great. Sometimes it moves out too far and hits the crank arm. You either have to stop and fix it, or do some maneuvering with your feet to push it back. If you do a lot of downhill riding it's highly recomended. Otherwise you might reconsider. If nothing else, buy it because it looks really, really cool, and you friends all go woaah!

Most discreet chain tensioner?

Hi friends. I'm building my first singlespeed bike. Frame is in the mail. I was in my LBS today looking at singlespeed kits (sprocket, spacers and chain tensioner). He only had some DMR that were very colour full and a bit too "hip hop" for me. I'm using 90s titanium frame for this project so I'd li ... Read More »

Chain tensioner = stiff shock?

after miles upon miles of obnoxious chain slap, I decided to put the oem chain tensioner on my BMC fourstroke. Now the shock seems super stiff (i've got it at 60PSI, and its still super harsh). Is that normal? I'm guessing its messing w/ the linkage...:confused:Read More »

Chain tensioner vs. chain stay

I have a 2013 GT Sensor 9r Elite. I just bought it the other day and took it out yesterday to hit some trails. The first thing I noticed was the chain slap. I am wondering what is better, a Chain tensioner or a chain stay. Am I correct that a chain tensioner will really only work properly if I ... Read More »

Best chain tensioner for single speed full suspension bike?

Can someone tell me what the best chain tensioner is for a single speed freewheel? My bike fits a normal rear derailleur. From my research it seems the best is the Yess ETR/D full suspension chain tensioner. [url=http://www.yesspro.com/product/etrd-full-suspension-chain-tensioner/]ETR/D Full ... Read More »

How to adjust chain length for single speed, derailleur tensioner, full suspension?

I'm setting up a single speed on my bike using a Zee derailleur as a tensioner. My bike is full suspension with around 10" of rear travel. Does anyone know how I adjust the chain length for this setup? Thanks.Read More »