Kore Chain Reactor Chain Accessories

2.7/5 (57 Reviews)
Weight : 74 grams

• True chain tensioner with 45 degrees of movement
  • Works through full range of gears
  • Adjustable spring tension
  • Super quiet neoprene wheel
  • CNC'd from 6061 T-6 aluminum
  • Adjusts to fit most frames
  • Clamp fits round, square and oval chain stays

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Joshua Kebschull a Cross Country Rider from Miami, FL.

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2008

Strengths:    None, The product alone is garbage

Weaknesses:    The product alone is not versitile enough to fit anyone bike. It probably only fits one lol

Bottom Line:
    When I read the first 10 reviews I thought to myself...Do any of these ppl do any of thier own maintenance on thier bikes other than change a tire? Granted it does take a little work, but if you want this to work and work well, replace the bolts, nuts and bearings before you even install it. Honestly there are just some frames that it just wont work on, but after making the proper modifications ($15 worth). It works like something that you'd probably pay 3-4x as much for! Read the reviews and learn from other's mistakes $30 is nothing for how effective it will be afterwards. I ride here in miami,fl and its not but roots and rocks and cause parts to go back prematurely from chain suck

Favorite Trail:   have a lot

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback Team SRAM XO Easton XC 50/70 XT crank DT wheel set

Submitted by BluesDaddy a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap, light, simple

Weaknesses:    Challenging to install properly.

Bottom Line:
    I bought the Chain Reactor to run my old Trek as a singlespeed commuter. On this old steel frame with small, slightly oval chainstays, the KORE fits pretty easily. I had read the mtbr reviews that said it doesn't fit some frames, so out of curiosity I tried it on my XC FS bike which has a carbon AMP rear end. There is no way it would ever fit the large rectangular carbon chainstay. Never. On the Trek, I just put it where the chainline dictated and put a piece of inner tube under it to keep it from slipping. I don't ride the Trek in sand or mud so I expect it will be virtually maintenance-free.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   homemade tensioner- didn't work too well...

Bike Setup:   1992 Trek 950 singlespeed conversion

Submitted by rett from new hampshire

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2004

Strengths:    does what it needs to do. Keep the chain from bouncing off track. Pretty easy to get on. the roller is nice and smooth and doesnt put wear on the chain

Weaknesses:    it barly is able to fit on the chainstay. Its not exactly the right shape for it. it swivels way to much from where the arm meets the clamp.

Bottom Line:
    So far i have had no problems with this peice. Iv been doing FR on my XC bike and needed somthing to keep my chain in place cause it bounced off track on hits. ONe of the best things on my bike. Pays for its self too. dont have to buy new deraulers

Favorite Trail:   bear brook

Purchased At:   naults cyclery

Bike Setup:   GF tassahara turned "freeride"

Submitted by Finch Platte a Weekend Warrior from Cali

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2003

Strengths:    Looks neato. In the box. On my porch after UPS dropped it off. Why was he laughing? Oh, now I know.

Weaknesses:    Could not install on my Enduro. Chainstays are too big.

Bottom Line:
    Why, oh why didn't I consult the reviews here? It's only when I received the unit and realized there were no instructions that I Googled. That only brought me back here, and after seeing the reviews, that saved me from expecting too much. I Googled again and found the instructions on Kore's site. I tried to install the unit, but quit after a few minutes, realizing it was going to be futile.

What size hex do they use? It's not on my bike tool or in my regular toolbox. They wouldn't have used American sizing, would they? That would be pretty stupid.

But not as stupid as me for buying this thing without consulting MTBR. I'm sending it back. I hope.

Favorite Trail:   Snail

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Still looking.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro with expensive aftermarket parts, rendering it even heavier.

Submitted by nick carleton a Racer from san diego

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    easy set-up. anyone who had trouble with this is a retard.

Weaknesses:    i got ripped off.

Bottom Line:
    only bought it to do a retro race at big bear (downhill race on a hardtail). i used to lose the chain all the time, now i don't even worry about it. if you're gonna be doing a lot of downhilling, buy an mrp. if u want to spend $20 on something to help the chain stay a little better, buy this product

Favorite Trail:   noble canyon

Purchased At:   mission cyclery

Bike Setup:   haro ics 5.0 with xt group, spynergy xyclones, avid mech. discs, many other goods

Submitted by scap a Cross Country Rider from bellingham Ma usa

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    cheep

Weaknesses:    Every thing!!!!! Setup, noise,.............

Bottom Line:
    Don’t waste your money.

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by dave quist a Cross Country Rider from tokyo, japan

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Strengths:    none (piece of junk, made by Da Bomb)

Weaknesses:    NOT KORE, weak spring, crappy set-up (it's made by Da Bomb)

Bottom Line:
    a real piece of %$#&. save the twenty, use an old derailluer, or buy a real KORE product. Should've used the twenty for same sake or beer. Only giving it flaming turds, 'cause I have to. Buy anything except this peice of junk (made by Da Bomb)

Favorite Trail:   lots of local stuff

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   C-dale Killer V 500. converting to SS

Submitted by Steven from Eastern Mass

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Strengths:    works

Weaknesses:    Didn't work with three chainrings, falls off and heavy, threw off my shifting

Bottom Line:
    Works, keeps chain tight but is heavy, throughs off shifters/derailleurs might as well shorten the chain

Purchased At:   Friend who got it from PricePoint

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900, deore cranks, raceface bash, psylo xc's, sun rynolite rims on XT hubs

Submitted by brett johnson a Racer from Tulsa

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    Peace of Junk, hardware is cheap, won't ever install right on most frames, goes off track and ruins your spokes.

Bottom Line:
    Most expensive keychain I've ever purchased. If you race dh or ds buy something more expensive. If you ride xc save your money, adjust your derailer, converting to a single speed, buy a Surly Singleator.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   DBR Single Speed Convert

Submitted by Scott P a Cross Country Rider from San Jose

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    Lite, cheap, works

Weaknesses:    Stock bushing sucks chainwheel stops spinning after 2 rides

Bottom Line:
    Stock this thing sucked. But I liked the idea so I stuffed 4 mini cartridge bearings in the chainwheel after I drilled it out. Made a bracket to fit the large chainstay of the slx & now it works great. No Chain slap, suck, or droppin any mo fo me. It's even lighter now w/out the heavy brass bushing! So if like to take on a little mechanical challenge this product can be one of the best additions to your rig. If you don't like to modify parts to make them work stay away. Cheers

Favorite Trail:   Braille

Purchased At:   PP

Similar Products Used:   No other chain devices in this price range or wheight

Bike Setup:   SLX,Z1,rhinos,heavy tires,north shores

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Pacifica, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Strengths:    Looks cool...LOL

Weaknesses:    Caused chain suck and scratched on both mine and my buddies frames.

Bottom Line:
    P.O.S. ! Don't waste your money.

Purchased At:   Price Pint

Similar Products Used:   Could two companies be cable of making similar pieces of crap?

Submitted by Vince a Weekend Warrior from Bayonne, NJ

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2003

Strengths:    It would have worked great if bolts provided were a little longer.

Weaknesses:    It keeps popping off track that damaged my spokes

Bottom Line:
    This is only compatible to some bikes unless you find a bolt that you want to pay extra for but then a gain for the price that i paid for it should come with free dinner!

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne, NJ

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Univega DS 900,Monkey lite2 high riser bars, XTR brakes-shifters-casette & rear deraileur, race face bb and cranks, CKing headset, Thompson seatpost, Marzocchi bomber fork, fizik saddle, WIR 420 rims.

Submitted by Royce a Weekend Warrior from Onida SD

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2003

Strengths:    I like the adjustable spring tension.Works great in a dry climate.

Weaknesses:    It would never work on my Jekyll just due to desing.You need a pretty conventional rear triangle.

Bottom Line:
    I ride in a very dry climate,and the thing works fine.I haven't used it on any really gnarly trail yet but it works as intended so far.I've see reviews that make it sound like a bad idea for mud,so take note.Kinda looks cheesy.

Favorite Trail:   porccupine rim

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Giant 980 carbon with 3 1/4 in rear travel via an active fox Alps Big Air shock.A Judy up front with 80mm travel.All xt and xtr drive and shifters.

Submitted by Tim a Downhiller from Tahoe, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Strengths:    Damn cheap...seriously wondered if it would work at that price. Seems to be holding up so far and haven't lost my chain yet...I think I got my $13.00 worth!!!

Weaknesses:    Had to replace pretty much all the hardware that it came with. I replaced the stock nuts with self-locking nylon nuts and had to get longer bolts for my chain-stay...why didn't it come with longer bolts? Who has a bike with that narrow of a chain stay that the stock bolts would fit on? Took a while to get it setup right and a lot of patience...

Bottom Line:
    Well worth the $13.00, despite all my whining about having to go to Home Depot for the bolts and such. I go to Home Depot weekly anyhow, this was just another excuse. I've spent more on crappy lunches than I spent on this...it's not bad and I would have to recommend it to anyone with more patience than I to put it on!

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Not in that price range!!!

Bike Setup:   Schwinn 4-Banger, Stylo Team Cranks, XTR drive 9-speed (2x9), Boxxers, Hayes Hydras...do you really care what I have?

Submitted by bOOnie a Downhiller from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Strengths:    Piss easy to set up, you whingers are softer than your mum.
    Stops slapping chains, holds it on in the roughstuff

Weaknesses:    Needs a few mods (change the bolts, use 2 nuts on each locks them up) Regular service, use bearing grease (lasts a few months before the wheel seizes)

Bottom Line:
    Good product if you have the patience too service it regularly. Stops slap when going over bumpy sections

Kore Reactor Chain guide

I'm looking to use one of these with a 2x9 setup since my FS Anthem frame comes with a press fit BB and I can't use BB mounted chainguides. The Kore Reactor is speficied for single speed but was told it works with other setups as well. Anyone has had good luck with it? Any other suggestions fo ... Read More »

Kore Chain Reactor chain tensioner

I was wondering if one could use it as a chain guide on a 1x9. I recently put in a larger chainring and had to do away with the bash, so the chain up front has no barriers on either side. If anyone has a pic of his or her bike with a Kore Chain Reactor, please post! I like to see how that goes on a ... Read More »

KORE chain reactor tensioner for SS?

Is anyone using Kore chain reactor tensioner for SS frame with vertical drop out? How's it working out? Chains remain skip-freeI and do not fall off the neoprene roller? I am presently using Pyramid chain tensioner on the derailluer hanger but getting very close to ditch them. I am having chain skip ... Read More »

chain reactor

anyone have luck with a kore chain reactor on a road bike ss? just wondering, as it's a lot cheaper than a singleator..currently using an old derailleur but the spring's shot..thanksRead More »

Is the Kore Chain Reactor that bad?

Was looking for a chain tensioner for my Kona Caldera... I'm sick of the chain suck all the time. I found that Kore Chain Reactor product and started reading reviews of it here. It seems pretty much 50-50... Some love it, some hate it... but no one seems to be thinking that its OK, great, do the ... Read More »