Gamut USA P40 Chain Accessories

Designed to be versatile, the P40’s virtually indestructible bashguard can be used for a variety of riding disciplines. The 3/8” ring provides the fortitude and security needed for the most abusive downhill riding one can offer. The symmetrical boomerang and adjustable roller axle allow riders to maintain the perfect chainline on virtually any mountain bike. Due to its lightweight design, the P40 can also be used for 4X, dual slalom, and street riding.
  • 260 grams
  • 104-4 teeth 36-40
  • 110-5 teeth 36-40
  • 3/8” polycarbonate bashguard

Submitted by mtn_freeride a Racer from Auburn

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    Super light, Strong, Simple, never thrown a chain

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Amazing guides, Super light, Very simple, not overly complicated, they do exactly what they are supposed to.

Favorite Trail:   Stonewall to Rocky

Similar Products Used:   Race Face, E13

Bike Setup:   V10 & Nomad - Race Bikes
Shimano XTR & Saint

Submitted by Don a Downhiller from Montreal

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2008

Strengths:    super light, super strong.

Weaknesses:    none I can think of

Bottom Line:
This is for the P30.

The bottom line is this is the best guide on the market. The entire setup is lighter than the E.13 bashguard by itself on the SRS. The boomerang doesn't need strenght, it's not made to take the hit, that's what the bashguard is for.

I previously ran an e13 SRS with a Gamut P40 bashguard. On a low bb dh bike it took an absolute beating and never cracked or failed. Easily as strong as an E13 supercharger at less than half the weight.

Similar Products Used:   E13 SRS

Bike Setup:   Orange 224

Submitted by Bryce a Downhiller from Santa Cruz, California

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    EVERYTHING, light, chain has never fallen off

Bottom Line:
everything about this guide is great, extremely light, no noise at all, and my chain has NEVER fallen off, not even in a crash or casing jumps, hard landings etc. Everyone should get this chainguide. Most of my friends use these guides as well, and they all work just as good as mine. Also, i run a 36 tooth in the P40 and it works just fine.

Favorite Trail:   VAMPIRE PIG

Similar Products Used:   none compare

Bike Setup:   2006 Ironhorse 7point

Submitted by Jacob a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2007

Strengths:    none, Light I Guess but It dont mater if It breaks and dont work good.

Weaknesses:    Everything-The bash Guard is cracked at all 4 bolts because they did not design it well enough.-The roller sucks.-and Even though it says 36tooth- 40tooth, I would only by if you have a 40 tooth, but still would recommend.-The boomarang is also very flexy and bad.- Also The bolts are american sizing so that is stupid.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that these are not good chain guides. Just because they are the lightest dose not mean it is going to win you any races. My chain has fallen of during a race because of this many times. Also these bash Guards SUCK, bash guards are meant to take abuse but these things snap at the bolts and just plain suck.

DO NOT BUT THIS CHAIN GUIDE!!!!

Purchased At:   cycle sport

Similar Products Used:   E-Thirteen...MRP... Both way better even though a bit lighter.
At least it keeps the chain on.

Bike Setup:   Balfa minute man, pike 454, fsa gravity, sram X-9, mavic 729....ect.

Submitted by Bob a Downhiller from Scotland

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2006

Strengths:    Everything,The gamut P40 has been fault less,
I have not had one problem with it the full year.Its silent,and does the job.It takes a helll of a beating for something thats soo light.
In fact im so imprerssed I have just purchased a new one for my DJ they are that good.
I would say if your looking for a chain device look no further go gamut.

Bottom Line:
Its been the easiet to set up by a country mile.
No messing jsut make sure everything is tight and the p40 worries about keeping your chain on.
Its been brillant from the start and cannot complain.
I personally have found the guide to be chapier,just as good if not better,really light and does what it says on the tin.
As said above dont look no further for a chain device go Gamut.
Another thing si the customer service from the guys at Gamut it was awesome if I have any probs or question,Just ask and they help.

Purchased At:   Bike Love

Similar Products Used:   E13
Mrps

Submitted by Peter Smith a Racer from Vancouver BC Canada

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2006

Strengths:    None really. The guys who make it made a lot of claims about weight, quietness and strength. They are light,however the inner palte is pretty flexy and the thing is so noisy.

Weaknesses:    See above for the comments

Bottom Line:
These guys are great marketers, and real poor engineers, and obviously do not ride their own products. I would fix
the inner plate first, make a softer roller,and if all else
fails ask some riders for input.

If someone gives you one, give it back. Riding is supposed
to be fun.

There should be a zero chili.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Blackspire on one of my other bikes and MRP on another

Bike Setup:   This one is a Kona stinky.with Marzocchi forks, XTR cranks,
Thompson post atomoc pedals

Submitted by Aaron a Downhiller from Chico, CA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2006

Strengths:    Honestly, not too many

Weaknesses:    -Staying in one piece
-Keeping my chain on during my race run
-keeping quiet
-working as a functioning chainguide

Bottom Line:
I heard about this product on the internet, I read comments from Gamut team riders about how it was so light and so simple to install and how it was super quiet and all that. I was fooled. The guide is somewhat light, but it doesnt work! Whats the use of that?

Let me start from square one. I am not a novice racer or mechanic. I have worked in bike shops for years and been racing DH for 4 years now. I work on and maintain my own bikes. I have owned MRP guides and they have worked pretty well for me for the last 3 seasons. When I built my new bike I figured I woudl try something new. I was planning to get an E13 LG1 guide, but it wasn't in stock so I tried this P40.

When I first took it out of the box I was surprised. I think people say these are simple because there is nothing in the box! Where MRP and e13 give you extra spacers and stuff to help you set up your guide, this thing just has the guide and nothing else. Its no more simple than any other guide out there. Truth be told, when I replaced the P40 with an LG1 last week, the E13 took me less time to set up.

My main gripe with this product is its durability. Seriously, the bashgaurd is not even close to indestructible I hit this thing maybe twice and the bashguard broke off of the spider. I have seen this on several other riders bikes. Just because its made out of plastic doesn't make it strong by magic. The boomerang is so thin and machined out its a joke. It flexes when you pressure wash your bike! I bent mine every time I rode it. Really.

The plastic parts are rough machined and they feel soft to me. I started to wear a groove in the top sliding part in a month or so of riding frequently. Also, the lower roller is made of the same material. It is way harder than my MRP roller. The guide is VERY noisy. If you want to hear silent, listen (or try to) my E13 guide. That is actually silent, the MRP is next, and the Gamut is louder than both of the other guides by a lot.

People hyped me up on the weight of this guide. After I weighed it, I found out that it really isn't incredibly light. The LG1 guide that I have is 60 grams lighter, and my old MRP is not much heavier either. I weighed an e13 SRS and that is not much heavier either.

Because of the flex and durability issues, I lost my chain in my race run 2 weekends ago.

I went out and bought that LG1 that I wanted in the first place and I could not be happier.

If you are looking for a device that looks like a chainguide, then look no further. If you are looking for an actual chainguide that will keep your chain on then look at MRP or e.thirteen.

Favorite Trail:   secret shuttle

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   MRP for 3 years and now e.thirteen

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Demo 8
Boxxer WC
Truvativ cranks
SRAM XO shifter and derailleur
e13 guide ring

Submitted by john a Downhiller from scotland

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2005

Strengths:    Its easy to fit,Silent and just works plain and simple,also once its setup correct it never drops a chain and you also dont ever need to touch it once done

Bottom Line:
If you are think in changing guides for next season,Go Gamut
They rule and they cant be brought down by anythin
Also they only weight 260Grams and they take as good a beating as an E13 or more.

Purchased At:   Bike Love

Similar Products Used:   E13,Mrp,Blackspire

Bike Setup:   Orange 223
BoXXers

Submitted by Ryan a Downhiller from Clayton, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    super light, way easy to install, looks smooth and stealthy, quietest chain guide on the market

Weaknesses:    none, when installed right its flawless

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that if your not riding a gamut or a chain guide period any of these gamut guides are calling your name. they are so easy to install, iscg or not the installation is effortless. also, they are low maintenance guides so once you set it up properly you can leave it alone and let it do the job of keeping your chain on. go to www.gamutusa.com for more info and some high quality pics of the guides.

Favorite Trail:   Garbanzo

Bike Setup:   santa cruz 10, boxxer team, ex 729s, holzfellers, sram parts, king headset, weirwolfs, hayes mags,

Submitted by Greg Olson a Racer from aptos, california

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2005

Strengths:    really light weight and i also street ride so i can crank stall it on rails and any other type of concrete and metal and it never takes any damage if far exceeds any type of other chainguide i have ever used plus at sea otter i had problems with my roller and juan the maker of gamut set it up properly and repaired it for me himself

Weaknesses:    the black Gamut stuff on the inside peels off after like 2 months

Bottom Line:
if you are a racer or a dirt jumper and you aren't riding this chainguide there is something seriously wrong with that because this is a serious piece of machinery that dominates everything else on the market

Favorite Trail:   aptos post office

Purchased At:   cycle works

Similar Products Used:   mrp, blackspire,mr dirt

Bike Setup:   azonic ds1, marzocchi dj2,tru-vativ holzfellers, avid brakes, azonic outlaw wheelset

Submitted by Kyle a Downhiller from Vail Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2005

Strengths:    The first thing you notice about this guide is how incredibly light it feels. Setup is simple, even with 3 piece cranks and a non ISCG frame it took less than 25 minutes. This is due in part to the fixed rollers that automatically line up with the bashguard.

Weaknesses:    None that I can foresee, I will post another review after more dirt time.

Bottom Line:
How many guides have you purchased that claim to be silent?How many truly are silent? The gamut is the closest to silent of any guide that I have ever come across in my days. The ease of setup and light weight make this the number one guide around. If you're not getting chainguides for free you're doing yourself an injustice by not running a Gamut. Mateo and everyone else at the company is awesome grade A customer support.

Purchased At:   Mateo @ Gamut