Crud Cog Hog Chain Accessories

3.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Crud Cog Hog

Submitted by Thibault from France

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Cog Hog is simply the best part you can buy to improve your shifting. You can have the best derailleur on the market, the best shifters (RapidFire or GripShift), the quality of your shifting will depend on what you have between the shifters and the derailleurs. Because when you have dirt on your cables, especially for top mounted cable guides bikes, on the seatstay, even if the spring of your derailleur is strong, it would't shift down, and even if you push (or rotate) like a mad on your shifters, it would have difficulties to shift up. So, the best solution I have experienced was to have cables with Teflon (Clarks cables) and a cog hog. This little thing helps to have your cable straight, so without friction, and there are also no frictions when it rolls over the pulley, and your shifting become smooooooth! It's a fact that I have heard that it's not strong, but for the moment, the only thing that broke was the barrel adjuster screw, nothing serious.

Submitted by Tom Arbogast a racer from Randolph, MA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

I wanted to improve rear shifts with my GripShift SRT-600s, so based on a review
in MBA I purchased the Cog Hog from Crud Products. The Cog Hog is said to reduce
cable friction at the rear derailluer by eliminating the sharp cable angle that
is made when the cable attaches to the rear derailluer. It does this by running
the cable through a pulley. The pulley reduces friction and lets the cable run
perpendicular to the derailluer. MTA said it worked great. Well, it did seam to
improve shifting for the first 5 miles I rode. Then it split in half where the
pin for the pulley intersects the aluminum housing. I had I nice 5 mile ride
back to my car without the nuisance of shifting. Fortunately, the company I
bought it from is giving me a complete refund.

Submitted by Scanner a weekend warrior from Lebanon,NH

Date Reviewed: October 1, 1996

Bottom Line:

I used this product for about 3 weeks. It does improve shifting by helping to eliminate extra
cable housing to the rear derailleur. I ride a lot and needless to say, crash a lot!
The Cog Hog doesn't respond well to crashes... it will bend your barrel adjuster screw and
overall, screw things up. The Cog Hog IS cheaper than the AVID Rollamajig, but unlike the AVID
product, it DOES NOT give when you accidently slam your rear derailleur. The AVID is a much
better designed product.. will LAST and does EXACTLY the same thing.

I took it off after replacing two barrel adjuster screws. Good idea.. poor design.

Submitted by Russ Tebay a cross-country rider from Leeds, England

Date Reviewed: August 27, 1996

Bottom Line:

The frame I have at the moment has top mounted cable guides in an attempt to keep
the cable out of the crap under the bottom bracket. Unfortunately though this means
that the water and mud runs down the back of the seat stay section of cable and bungs
up the rear mech. The kink at the bottom of the cable (where the cable goes into the
the mech) also holds this mud and can make shifting (even with XT stuff) low on feel
and perfromance. Until, that is, you get a cog hog. This transforms the shifting
from that of a mud plugger to that seen in road bikes. Very plush action and I haven't
missed a change yet since fitting it. It didn't work with such dramatic effect
on a bike with cable routing under the bottom bracket though and was not cheap (for
what it is). But if you have top mounted cable guides and have problems with your
rear changes get one of these little widgets to sort it out.

Submitted by The Biz a weekend warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 27, 1996

Bottom Line:

The Cog Hog smooth shift system is simplicity itself. It's a little device
(8 grams) that sits on the barrel-adjuster of the rear deraileur. It's porpose
is to reduce frction on the cable as it loops from the chainstay/seatstay to
the deraileur. It does this by replacing that loop of cable routing with a 90°
angle. It's simple & it works. Someone should of thought of it long ago.

Submitted by Maph Aherne a weekend warrior from Swindon, England

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1996

Bottom Line:

The Cog Hog is a lot cheeper than the Avid version (I havn't used one) but seems
to do the job. Shifting is improved a fair bit, but I think that gortex cables
do the job a lot better. I've got both gortex cables and the cog hog and my
shifting is a hell of a lot better.

I'd recommend getting it and spending the little bit of extra money on getting
gortex cables.