Craig Metalcraft Superlink Chain Accessories

4.08/5 (13 Reviews)

Craig Metalcraft Superlink

Submitted by Mark a Racer from Newton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent. I've used them for years, with only one problem. See below. Other reviewers have explained the strengths.

Weaknesses:    I got one batch of SuperLinks that apparently was not hardened properly. They wore out in less than 1000 miles and when worn, you get the clunking noise that someone mentioned. I called Licktons and they replaced them. The good ones typically last for TWO chains before wearing out.

Bottom Line:
Excellent.

Purchased At:   Licktons

Submitted by Powhoundus a Cross Country Rider from Lexington, KY

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Strengths:    Much easier to use than inferior though similar SRAM connectors, most reliable means of connecting a chain I have found

Weaknesses:    None, related to the product and it's use. However, it is difficult to find. Cannot believe Nashbar dropped it.

Bottom Line:
You will find no greater driveline stress than hyperglide on a tandem (except maybe a triple, quad, etc), period. These links have held up better using an unbroken Sedis / SRAM chain than Shimano HG special pins. I have had similar durability with SRAM links, but they are much more difficult to use compared with the Craig connectors. I throw the SRAM connectors into the patch kit as a backup connector and primarily use the Craig links. I have used these for >5 yrs (as long as they have been available I think) which amounts to >20K miles on my bikes and my wife's bikes. We have never noticed any anoying click that someone else mentioned.
I primarily began using these because I waxed my chains at the time they became available. With Hyperglide, it became costly / time consuming replacing pins. Trying these for the first time I was amazed at their ease of use / durability. Even after moving away from waxing I still use them since cleaning the chain is much easier and effective if it is removed and shaken in a bottle of solvent.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest/CT/Rainbow: Salida, CO

Purchased At:   Lickton's

Similar Products Used:   Taya (worthless Taiwan junk), KMC (rough with Sedis chain), SRAM (too difficult to remove, Shimano pins are easier)

Bike Setup:   '94 Fisher Pro Cal steel frame tricked to the max in '94, also used on Road (Santana) and MTB (Fisher) tandems, and road singles

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, MS

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2000

Strengths:    Makes chain cleaning much easier.

Weaknesses:    Horrible, unbearable, annoying clunking noise.

Bottom Line:
Initially, I was intriqued by this product, since it made chain removal much easier. Unfortunately, the product causes an annoying clicking noise that I found unbearable. Worse yet, I spent a great deal of time tracking down the source of the click before I discovered that it was the chain link. For me, this was definitely not an install it and forget it part. I was reminded of it constantly. If you can tolerate the clicking, buy this product. If you're like most roadies, and can't stand any abnormal noise coming from your bike, avoid this product at all costs.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Lowndes

Bike Setup:   Klein Quantum II, Campagnolo Veloce, Athena, and Chorus mix. Absolutely no Shimano.

Submitted by Dave H. a Racer from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 1999

Strengths:
Ease of use
Does what it is designed to do well

Weaknesses:
none I can think of

Bottom Line:
This is literally an install it and forget it part. When you need to take the chain off it is very convenient. WHen you change chains you should change the link also.When I did change chains I would just keep the worn Craig link in my pack for chain-emergencies out on the trail (never used it though). It's a lot faster to just pop out the offending link and install one of these to get going instead of using the chain tool to put it back together again.I have been able to race and ride wth it installed. Muck, mud and worse has gone through it, no problem.
It seems too bad, for this company, that Sachs is now making the Powerlink for their chains.

like I'm going to tell you...

2 Years

none yet

Sachs M-55 chain

Submitted by Gilly a cross-country rider from see below

Date Reviewed: November 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

Craig replaced the defective SLIII under warranty. I've been using SLIII's on two bikes for eight months now; one's a mud/training bike (wet lube) and the other's a weekend/race bike (wax lube).During this time it saved me twice from the dreaded chain wedgie, but its real value is in drivetrain maintenance. After a particularly messy ride I don't even have to think twice about washing my chain, I just dump it in a pan of degreaser. Hub adjustments and tire swaps are easier because the chain just comes off. My drivetrain has never been happier and I've had no problems whatsoever. And all this for $5?!Craig specs a maximum wear tolerance for the link pin, but funny thing: I was expecting more pin wear on the dry chain but there's no visible wear on it. There's more wear on the wet chain, but maybe that's because of the muddy conditions it goes through.Although there may be some hassles with loose pins and clicking links, I'd put up with this for a cleaner (and more dependable) drivetrain. It's like choosing between the risk of a snapped chain vs. a sucked one. My last word? I think all bikes should come with one!

Submitted by Chucko a weekend warrior from Silicon Valley, USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

An update to my previous review: Seems the Superlink is a tad longer than the other links in my chain, or it wears at a faster rate. I can hear a noise when it rolls off the cogs or the granny ring, on both bikes. I'm starting to wonder if this is going to cause cog/chainring wear problems or worse.I still like the convenience of removing the chain for cleaning, but I'm going to have to bring my previous rating down a notch. 3 chilis this time brings my average rating down to 4.

Submitted by Chucko a weekend warrior from Silicon Valley, USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Picked up a pair of these, one for the MTB, one for the commute bike. After a couple of months, I can safely say I like them. They let me get the chain REALLY clean with ease, off the bike (I use Simple Green in an old fruit juice jug, rinse with hot water, repeat, hang dry, install, and relube) -- beats using those chain cleaner gizmos hands down!And I've already tested them for toughness. When the Superlink got caught between the chainring and the anti-chainsuck plate on my MTB, it suffered no damage.I've bought my last Shimano magic pin. I'll start carrying a couple spare Superlinks instead.

Submitted by Gilly again a cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

Craig contacted me, explaining that they had some system/email problems and will replace the broken link. I've been using a spare with no problems but constantly inspect it.The jury's still out on this one. I still enjoy the way it lets me keep a clean drivetrain, but I try not to let thoughts of snapped chains enter my mind during a ride. 3 stars means I'm still neutral.

Submitted by Gilly a cross-country rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: February 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

I loved the Superlink from the moment I installed it; especially the way it simplified drivetrain cleaning and maintenance! BUT the pin on one link CAME LOOSE after only two months' worth of medium-hard weekend riding! I'm just glad I discovered it at home and not the hard/painful way!
It's supposed to have a one-year warranty, but after two weeks of e-mailing Craig they have yet to reply.
I'm VERY disappointed.

Submitted by Rob Riggins a cross-country rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1997

Bottom Line:

The Craig is great. It works easier than the old master links on coaster-brake bikes. Yesterday, my chain got sucked between the chainstay and the small chainring. I couldn't get it unstuck. I gave up and decided to walk back to my car, then I remembered the Super Link. I unlinked the chain, removed it from around the bottom bracket shell, reinstalled it and rode for another hour.If I had a regular chain, I would have been screwed.

Submitted by Spartan Doug a cross-country rider from Illinois

Date Reviewed: July 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

Tired of pushing out pins to clean and remove your chain? Shimano chain owners are you even more tired of those damn pins? Enter the craig superlink III. This nifty little device acts like an old bmx masterlink but better. installing and removing your chain is a snap. It doesn't affect shifting at all they go for 4-5 bucks and they suggest replacing every 1000 miles or so. Get one of these, clean your chain and drivetrain more often and save yourself money and hassels in the long run. A true 5 chili product.

Submitted by Tim Kalina a cross-country rider from Chiacgo

Date Reviewed: January 24, 1997

Bottom Line:

I noticed in the reviews of the Taya chain, most hated the chain but loved the connector link. Well, this connector is better than the Taya. It's narrower, better made and can be easily removed and used on a new chain. I'ved used the same link for over two years and four chains. It's still good as new. the link makes cleaning a chain a snap so you'll find yourself doing it more often.

Submitted by Tim Kalina a cross-country rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1997

Bottom Line:

I'm surprised I haven't seen this wonderful little product listed in the reviews before! I noticed that in the reviews of the Taya chain, most hated the chain but loved the connector link.
Well, this one works even better because it's narrower in profile and can be removed and reused on a new chain. Plus, it's made in the US. Mine has been on my bike, and numerous chains, for 3 years without a problem.