Bullet Brothers Chain Tensioner Chain Accessories

3.14/5 (37 Reviews)

Bullet Bros. HyperTension Chain Tension System is retro cool and functional to boot. An awesome device which increases chain tension at the rear derailleur to help eliminate chainslap, chainsuck and ghost shifting. 38g in XC Mode, 45g In DH Mode.

Submitted by Barry Shaw a Racer from Johannesburg SA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Nil Can't see what you selling!

Bottom Line:
Can't see

Bike Setup:   Single speed Conversion(with semo vert drop outs)

Submitted by Darran a Cross Country Rider from Cheddington, Bucks, UK

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2000

Strengths:    Simple design, fairly effective.

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel removal.
Difficult to get hold of as they're apparently not made any more.

Bottom Line:
Reduces but does not totally eliminate chain slap. Still need some sort of chain stay guard to get rid of noise and damage. The only chain tensioner I could find that fits the fat chain stays on my Klein Mantra. I've got one one each bike now and a spare in the tool box. No shifting problems encountered on either bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anything varied and interesting

Purchased At:   Evans - Waterloo

Bike Setup:   Klein Mantra and Cannondale F2000SL both with XTR mechs.

Submitted by Gearhead a Cross-Country Rider from CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1999

Strengths:
inexpensive
works well
comes with two springs
looks cool

Weaknesses:
removing the rear wheel is annoying
incorrect arm alignment can mess up shifting

Bottom Line:
I do mostly XC and trials, and got this because my chain would drop off my middle chainring or pop off my cassette when I did a big bunny hop. It was the only inexpensive tensioner I could find that would work on my sans chainstay bike, and I had to hunt all over to find it. But when I first installed it, shifting was horrible! Yes, the chain stayed on, but it wasn't worth the poor shifting. Then I looked at the placement of the arm. It hung right over the smallest cog -- no wonder shifting in the bigger cogs was terrible. So I bent the arm inward until it rested around the 4th and 5th cogs. Bingo! Shifting became MUCH better, if not better than before it was installed. I use the XC spring, and it works really well, no more rear derailleur arm snapping or chain popping off when I jump. Having the two springs is nice too, for I used the heavy spring on my LX derailleur, which had very little chaintension. When I got my XTR, which has more tension itself than the LX, then the XC spring was perfect. Also, I think it looks really cool. It's a great idea -- too bad it is not made anymore. 5 stars for a great product whose only fault is the incorrect arm alignment.

3 months

Marin B-17
Old 80's Deore XT Crank with Engagement Pro middle ring and Mountain Tamer triple granny
'98 XTR Rear reverse-rise Derailleur
Gearing setup:
Front 17-34-Bashring
Rear 34-28-23-20-17-15-13-11

Submitted by Terrence a Cross-Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
Eliminates almost all chain slap. Good. Lightweight. Nifty looking thing. Only drag is the spring. May catch mud and stuff like that.....enhances shifting. not as much as the Rollamajig will do, but if you put the Rollamajig and the Bullet Brothers chain tensioner, wheee!

3 months

Submitted by Jason Rivers a Weekend Warrior from Marquette, MI

Date Reviewed: April 8, 1999

Strengths:
it's aluminum

Weaknesses:
Is a HUGE waste of money. If you have 20 bucks to spend on a product like this, use it more wise and buy some beer or something.

Bottom Line:
crap. take your 20 bucks and buy a case of high - quality beer...you'll appreciate it more.

6 months

Submitted by Neil a cross-country rider from Ambler PA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

Good for chain slap, bad for everything else. In larger cogs it would create some chain-suck starting back up a hill. Poor shifting with Attacks. Chain never did come off, though.

Submitted by Jon from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

THIS THING RULES!!! It does eliminate a lot of chain slap, but not all on my bike--the stay is really close to the chain. But what it does do is give quick consistent shifts over the most rocky, rutted, rooted terrain. When your bike and eyballs are getting jarred and bouncing all over the place the chain stay taunt and shifts quick and clean. Now that's what I'm talk'n abouut! Five, count'em 5 flaming dead horses!

Submitted by don a weekend warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

this thing was supposed to be the cure. and i got a great deal too! well now it sits in a box with my old xt rear derailleur. the spring would throw my shifting off when i tried to get onto the bigger cogs. not to mention it's a big pain if you have to take off your rear wheel to put it in the trunk or something.

Submitted by gOon a downhiller from Singapore

Date Reviewed: August 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

I ride downhill once in a while but mostly Trials.I just have to say that this product is da bomb!
When i got it (a few hours ago) the shifting was really screwed up but then after using it for half an hour the shifting was like usual, the shifting isn't really more dificult on my Alivio derailler..... i had no probs fixing it on, so it rocks!It looks pretty cool too and is the only tensioner that fits on my Santa Cruz Heckler.....

Submitted by Kev a downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

What's with everybody slating this?I us one on my Santa Cruz Heckler (basically cos nothing else fits with 3 rings), and it is really good. The chain does not come off in the big ring, even with the suspension moving loads.It looks good, it works well, and it costs less than 15 quid. What more can you ask for?

Submitted by Froggy from G.W.North

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

I pick one up at the local bike show in March for six bucks. I figured for the money what the hell. Previously my chain bounced around like a mexican jumping bean. After getting this thing on my chain has not slipped off a cog or ring once. The mounting clamp for the derailler was as previously said, a little bigger than it needed to be. I got it on but when I get my hands on a Dremel it will be the first project. I used the XC spring and haven't had any shifting problems.If you have a suspension bike, get some kind of tensioner the extra roughness that you will ride will require it.Hits
Cheap
Relatively easy to install, theoretically should fit any bike
Works well
No shifting problems with light spring
Quiet, that can't be said for some other tensioners.Misses
Removing the rear wheel is a complete pain in the ass
The light spring gets stretched over time
The clamp is clunky
Did I mention trying to get the rear wheel offI'd give it 5 if so many people hadn't had problems. It does have a few design flaws
I'll take two for the B.S. of having to remove the skewers each time I remove the rear.

Submitted by Klymer a cross-country rider from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

For the love of God this product molests collies! Does not provide enough chain tension to wipe your butt with, but just enough deraileaur tension to screw up shifting, lowers the amount of chain clearance through deraileaur pulley areas... result? if there is any gunk on your chain be prepared to pull the deraileaur taunt and then straight through your spokes bending the dropout, possibly the frame, and screwing up your spokes along with your rear hub and basically wheel... have a nice day :)

Submitted by steve a weekend warrior from Lancaster CA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

The thing does stop chain slap and suck. It also stops smooth shifting. The derailluer mount block didn't fit my 97 XT rear derailluer? Give me a break. I filed down the block to fit. Tried it on one ride. I think the block was sized wrong so everbody will file it down to try it, then they can't return it! Coincidencece, I think not. It comes with a cross country (light) and downhill spring (heavy). My XT derailleur and XTR shifter could not function with the downhill spring installed! The cross country worked but shifting performance bit the big one. Try the Kore instead, can't be any worse!

Submitted by ryan wirth a weekend warrior from australia

Date Reviewed: March 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

this product definately reduces slap on your chainstays,but could use some improvements such as more spring tension and a bar that sits higher so that the spring always has some tension onit, as th bullet bros one when in lowest at the front and highest on the back does not create enough tension

Submitted by Troy a racer from The Burg

Date Reviewed: February 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

It is the second best thing that you could buy for your ride. I am an avid trials rider as well as a DH racer. I always had problems with chain slap from all the bouncing that my bike goes through. I bought this one day out of sure bordom and slapped it on in 21 seconds, i used the strong spring and it works great. For $25 you cant go wrong.