Blackspire Stinger Chain Guide Chain Accessories

• Molded Stepped Roller
  • Fits up to 40t chainrings

Submitted by bicyclebillpdx

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2013

Strengths:    Absolute best bang for the buck for a double chainring chain guide. Much less friction than the Specialized version that came on bike. Very easy to install and adjust.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found yet.

Bottom Line:
I've got factory ISG '05 tabs on my '12 Stumpy with PF30 bottom bracket, and this was literally as easy as following the instructions and tightening the bolts. Took about 30 seconds to properly set up. Zero adjustments or bending required on my bike.

Submitted by peanutaxis

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2013

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
this is a shockingly bad product. first of all the three countersunk screws don't even fit into the beveled slots which ensures that they rub on the small chainring bolts.

i followed the instructions* and my small chainring is the correct distance away from the face of the blackspire, but the chain continuously rubs on the blackspire's face in most gears when in the small chainring. but it gets worse. blackspire claim that trek must not have followed the correct standards of their placement of the iscg bolts. this is nonsense, though, because according to the instructions my small chainring's clearance to the blackspire is fine.

p.s. apparently there are 14 reviews of this product, and the overall rating is 4, but only one other is visible, and it is terrible. i suspect blackspire of putting up false reviews.

*http://www.blackspire.com/site_assets/www.blackspire.com/images/dynamic/stinger_setup_guide.pdf

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 7

Submitted by Jack a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2012

Strengths:    controls chain great. simple less is more aproach. extreamly efective.

Weaknesses:    only the cost of shipping from canada to usa was a bit steep. the rest was affordable. have to sand mount screws to clear granny bolts.had to bend 2mm to left.

Bottom Line:
I pedal a 2012 trek remedy 7 with 6" of suspension. this wonder full bike drops the chain because of too much suspension for 30 speed. actualy a compliment to trek.so i checked all the boards including this one and this is what i did. i swapped the 3rd front chainring for a raceface 36 tooth bash and then swapped the 32 tooth 2nd ring for a 36 tooth . yes the mount screws needed sanding to clear granny crank bolts.( no big deal).i sanded them myself then had a certified tech install it. "SUNBAUM CYCLE" joliet illinois.they did a great job for only $40.now yes the roller did not line up so i then bent is my self a couple mm to cyclists' left. stinger calls for 4 to 6 mm to center of granny to stinger and trek remedy 7 is about 3 mm. the bend fixes this and the line up.. sure the bend is also catywhomed. dont matter. it works great! had it out on ruff places and jumps and hardly heard the chain at all.my bike techs at sunbaum were very nice to help because shtuff like this can sometimes not work out. also watch how close roller is to bassh cuz it must barely not pinch when changing front rings. to close pinches . think im 2mm awway from bash and 10 -12 mm from chainstay.removed one link, but 2 is possible if needed.blackspire stinger works great once you tailor it to your situation, and have faith but novice wrenches should be happy to pay a tech for help because no chain dropp and perfect shifting is heaven.

Favorite Trail:   palos ill

Duration Product Used:   2 rides

Purchased At:   blackspire

Bike Setup:   trek remedy 7 2012' with 6" suspension. shimano m-324 dual spd pedals, blackspire stinger chain tensioner, with race face 36 bash in place of 3rd ring and 36 tooth snd ring to replace 32.

Submitted by pulpwoody a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2012

Strengths:    Simple.

Weaknesses:    Didn't mount with the granny ring on, notch on the roller doesn't line up.

Bottom Line:
So this is supposed to be a chain tensioner for a 2x set up, I get that. However, with the existing hardware on my bike, the ring bolts on the granny gear would rub against the mounting screws of the stinger. How's that supposed to work? Answer: it didn't. The roller has a notch that the chain is supposed to sit in when the chain is in the middle ring. However, the chain never even came close to riding inside of the notch, and there was no way for me to make the chain sit in the notch without drastically changing the chain line, which I'm not doing for something so minor as a chain tensioner. I read some reviews about how you have to bend the Stinger to get the chain to line up with the notch. Are you serious??? I know BlackSprire makes some quality products, but this one didn't work for me at all.

Purchased At:   bicycle sport shop

Bike Setup:   marin attack trail

Submitted by Lostrover a Downhiller from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Strengths:    Durable and cheap,

Weaknesses:    The Only weakness is the the Quality control, i had to sand off some material to get the screws provided to sit flush in the guide.

Bottom Line:
best dual chain guide on the market, I had an MRP LRP on another bike, this works just the same at way less of a price.

Favorite Trail:   CBC

Similar Products Used:   MRP LRP

Bike Setup:   2011 Remedy 7 built more AM then Trail

Submitted by dwt a Cross Country Rider from Syracuse, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive, easy to install. BB or ISCG mount options

Bottom Line:
Wish I knew about this product when I first was looking for a chain guide for my 1 x 9. The Stylo 1.1 crank comes with a bash, so it limits your guide options. I tried jury-rigging the MRP 1.x which is not supposed to be run with a bash. Ended up wasting $$. The Stinger is cheaper and easier, and works with any 1 ring + bash set up. Also works with 2 ring set ups (bash, middle, granny).

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine rim

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   MRP 1.x

Bike Setup:   Chinese Carbon hardtail; Stylo 1.1 crank, 32 teeth; 11-34 9 speed cassette.

Submitted by pocgnikcuf a Weekend Warrior from denver

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2010

Strengths:    cheap, light, very quiet, BB install was easy

Weaknesses:    3mm thick, shimano BB spacers are 2.5, so on a 760 XT crank the roller is too close to the 22t granny gear. Bought a .7mm spacer and that helped a lot

Bottom Line:
a cheap but good way to try out a dual ring set up on an all mountain bike.

Favorite Trail:   mtn lion

Purchased At:   collins bikes

Bike Setup:   Intense 6.6 with gravity dropper turbo

Submitted by Devon a Downhiller from Port moody, bc

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2010

Strengths:    Works perfectly! Haven't dropped a chain since I got it, is comepletely silent, shifts well, and helps stop chain slap. I haven't found anything wrong with it and it's so good, I would buy it for double the price!

Weaknesses:    None at all

Bottom Line:
It is completely perfect, and is much more than I asked for

Favorite Trail:   Anything in whistler

Purchased At:   Different bikes burn

Similar Products Used:   E-13 single ring

Bike Setup:   08 norco shore 3

Submitted by atchipmunk a Weekend Warrior from Hermosa Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, and IT WORKS! Haven't dropped a chain since I installed it! Works great with a RF 36T Bashguard!

Weaknesses:    Can't really think of any other than a lack of included installation instructions. Blackspire does have install instructions available online though, so no big deal. I guess if you're REAL hard on your bike, it might not be the stoutest of chain guides. If I bend this one, i'll definitely buy another one. Can't beat the price!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is that this thing works and for the price, you just can't beat it! Was gonna buy the Blackspire Dewlie but opted for the Stinger and a RF 36T Bashguard in order to save the $50 for other goodies. Buy one...it's worth it!

Purchased At:   Price point

Similar Products Used:   None. Bought this one based on reviews.

Bike Setup:   '98 Spesh FSR Comp - Marzochi Jr. T Fork, Risse Racing Hex Link, Fox Vanilla R shock, RF Diabolus Crank...

Submitted by sgf2 a Weekend Warrior from Portland

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, does the job very well.

Weaknesses:    None really. the only thing I recommend is to get an lbs to install it. I didn't tighten the roller enough and lost it somewhere at Whistler. If you see it give me a PM.... The spare roller was around $12.

Bottom Line:
I kept dropping my chain and decided it was time to buy a chain guide system. This one kept coming to my attention. I figured what the heck, i'm like 3k into my bike if this $25 dollar part doesn't work I'll just buy the $125 and up ones. like I'll miss $25 in the grand scheme of bike costs...

Turns out it works really well, I've been to Whistler over 10 times countless north shore runs and probably 15 times at Diablo Freeride Park, since I've got it and I can't remember ever dropping my chain. There's no rub or extra noise anywhere. I don't even notice its there. IF I break it, I'm buying another.

Bottom Line: Buy it, you won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in Canada

Purchased At:   Universalcycles

Bike Setup:   giant Faith sportin a 66 and blackspire stinger

Submitted by K0NARIDER a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap , Does the job

Bottom Line:
This chain guide works great with a 2 ring set up . Chain flip flops on the roller just like the e13 , but for a fraction of the price . I have not dropped a chain yet , and this is on a single pivot bike , amazing .

Similar Products Used:   e13 DRS

Bike Setup:   '08 Heckler

Submitted by Bacchus72 a Downhiller from Seoul

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Strengths:    Very simple, easy to install, and does its job well.

Weaknesses:    Can rotate and pinch the chain to the chainstay, causing wear, making noise, or just stopping the chain.

Bottom Line:
This tensioner is cheap and does its job well. It isn't a full chainguide, so don't expect the impossible. It will, however, drastically reduce the amount of thrown chains, and reduce the amount of noise produced by your chain/derailleur over bumpy terrain.

For someone who wants a cheap, easy, partial solution to a noisy rear end, or chains flying off, but still wants to keep to chainrings running, this is THE solution. If you want to pay more, go for the e-13 DRG and you will get slightly better performance at a higher cost.

Favorite Trail:   Keeps changing every year.

Similar Products Used:   E-13 DRG

Bike Setup:   Specialized SX trail with a Shimano Saint Crank

Submitted by KYMtnBkr a Weekend Warrior from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Strengths:    Performs flawlessly!

Weaknesses:    Installation can be tricky.

Bottom Line:
I swapped out my 32t middle ring for a 36t and was dropping my chain multiple times on each ride. I had to think about each shift I was making. At times opted not to shift because I thought I might drop my chain. I loved the top end gearing the 36t provided but decided that I would switch back to the 32t if I could not fix this problem.

The Stinger did the trick. I've had five rides with this setup and have not dropped my chain once. I've even tried my hardest to force the chain to drop and it just won't. This is a great product that does exactly what it's supposed to do. If your dropping your chain just go buy one. You'll be glad you did.

Favorite Trail:   Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Purchased At:   bicyclesupply.net

Bike Setup:   09 Nomad with a 36t/22t XT double crankset and MRP Party Crasher bashring.

Submitted by eatdrinkride from desert, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2008

Strengths:    inexpensive, simple design.

Weaknesses:    it's not 2.5mm thick like the spacer it replaced. No biggie but the chain rubs the guide in the small ring.

Bottom Line:
I bought this b/c I was sick of dropping the chain on my 575. Since the installation I have dropped the chain 3 times. I thought that would be impossible when I decided to purchase it but i have proven that wrong.

I am going to replace it with something else.

Bike Setup:   yes, bike is set up.

Submitted by Steve a Downhiller from Port Moody, BC

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap, light, simple, effective. Larger sized bearing/roller doesn't gum up with mud.

Weaknesses:    Can be tricky to install since the plate isn't 2.5mm thick (The width of a BB spacer)

Bottom Line:
I used to run an e13 DRS, but had problems with the roller not turning properly, and was always irritated that you had to buy the ugly, non functional bash ring to get the guide. The stinger resolved every issue I had with the DRS.
I've installed about a dozen of these guides on friends bikes, noone has ever wrecked one, had one sieze or complained about it in any way. It's a beautifully elegant solution to a tricky problem. It operates with the same principles as the e13 DRS, but works better in nearly every aspect.

Similar Products Used:   e13 DRS

Bike Setup:   Norco Six One. Fox 36VanRC2.

chain guide for Reign2 2011..E13 DRS or Blackspire Stinger?

Hello... I want to put a chain guide on a 2011 Reign 2 ( not Reign X, so no ISCG tabs) .. by your experiences ,which chain guide will be less problematic to fit?... Blackspire Stinger BB mount -E Thirteen DRS 2011 BB mount Thanks a lot p.s, I also thought to change the standard 32t SLX midd ... Read More »

Chain rubbing blackspire stinger chain guide plate

I have the Blackspire stinger on my Sette Flite. I have the one that attaches to the BB. Whenever I shift to the granny gear the chain rubs the back plate of the stinger guide. Any ideas how to adjust so the chain doesnt rub the black plate? how is the roller supposed to be set up interms of d ... Read More »

Dual Chain Guide for 09 SS ... e13 DS or Blackspire Stinger?

Hi, building up an 09 SS and looking for a chainguide for a dual ring setup with hone cranks. Will either the e13 DS or Blackspire Stinger fit easily? Are the ISCG 05 or BB versions a better fit? Are there any other options I should be looking at? Would prefer to keep the filing and grinding to a mi ... Read More »

tracer & stinger chain guide?

hi guys , any problems putting a blackspire stinger bb mount chainguide on a tracer vp? thanks !Read More »

Blackspire Stinger Chain Guide

I'm going to purchase a Blackspire Stinger Chain Guide for my 2005 six pack but I'm not sure if I want the ISCG Mount or the bottom bracket mount. What are the pros and cons of each?Read More »