Blackspire NS - 1 Chainguide Chain Accessories

3.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Designed for Free Riding.

The proprietary slider retention system guarantees your chain will always be where you want it!

110 BCD comes with 34t 94, 104 BCD comes with 32t

Submitted by Roy a Downhiller from Nashua, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2007

Strengths:    Works perfectly! Install is simple and it looks so cool!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
I was running a E-13 SRS chainguide which was ok at first.
But when my skills aproved and I started riding and racing DH faster, My chain would derail on the E-13 SRS? At Killington MT, the chain would fall off two or three times a run! And I just got sick of it! So I bought the Blackspire NS-1 cause it looked cool and it looks like its designed well. It installed perfectly out of the box with no problems! The E-13 was a pain to set-up. I even had a bike shop check my E-13 install and they said it was right, but the chain kept falling off.
With the Blackspire NS-1, I couldn't get the chain to fall off even if I tried! Its PERFECT! I wish I could post a picture of the NS-1 chainguide on my rig so that you could see it and understand. Buy this guide if your wondering about it! Mine has never failed me! And I ride pined and really hard and never have to worry about my chain anymore.
I love it!

Favorite Trail:   Killington DH

Purchased At:   Blueskycycling.com

Similar Products Used:   E-13 SRS.

Bike Setup:   Custom Giant Faith. Set-up for Downhill.

Submitted by K Muzza a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide SA Australia

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2007

Strengths:    Chain never comes off- I'm a big boy & put a lot of strain on my rig. Simple, reliable, I've found.

Weaknesses:    Thought $ was a bit exy, but hey... Found the roller to be a bit noisy- they should use a slightly softer plastic

Bottom Line:
I've found it simple to use, clean & adjust. It has lasted, is reliable. Only probs were price (AUS$250 or so- but I used vouchers)& a slightly noisy roller, due to the hard plastic compound used.

Favorite Trail:   SS, Ando's

Purchased At:   JT Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mr Dirt Gizmo

Bike Setup:   Hayes 9, DJ1, TruVativ- urban, freeride, hardtail DH.

Submitted by Will A a Downhiller from OR

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2004

Strengths:    It works and it's quiet. It just functions properly. Seems like a basic requirement but a lot of chainguides just plain suck.

Weaknesses:    Shim the inner plate so that it sits very close to the chain as soon as you install it. I didn't get it as close as possible and it ended up gouging the inner plate a little when the chain derailed to the inside.

Bottom Line:
Buy it. It's solid and easy to adjust plus it's black and doesn't make a horrendous clanging noise while riding. My chain stays on ALL the time.

Similar Products Used:   MRP (LOUD!), Mr Dirt and a few others

Bike Setup:   2001 Schwinn Straight 8

Submitted by Don a Downhiller from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Strengths:    Usually keeps the chain on during the tough stuff.

Weaknesses:    Chain falls of on the simple stuff, took it to two bike shops and none of them have got it to stop falling off. Upper guard was shimmed new roller and it still popped off. Usually when riding on the street. Jump off a loading dock and it stays.Jump a curb and it falls off??????????

Bottom Line:
I will be purchasing a different guide because the chain falls off. I tried setting it up and two bike shops tried. Nothing else to do but buy another.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in bootleg canyon

Similar Products Used:   mrp

Bike Setup:   03 specialized Big-hit comp long travel kit,03 monster front fork

Submitted by David from Broomfield

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Strengths:    The product rocks. I use it at the BMX track, Mountain X, Dirt Jumping. It works well adn looks trick.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
The dude that wrote the bad review needs to learn how to adjust it or take it to the bike shop. I got the Blackspire 4 days ago and have dirt jumped hit the BMX track and Bombed downhill it works great and the product rules. Learn how to adjust it before you put up bad reviews on a product alot of people read this stuff. The Blackspire rulessssss.

Favorite Trail:   Mountain X

Purchased At:   Bikes and Berries

Similar Products Used:   MRP, Dirt Gizzmo

Submitted by Jeffy from Hellville

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Strengths:    Made in Canada

Weaknesses:    Gives Canada a bad name.

Bottom Line:
Chain falls off, impossible to get back on, and no there is nothing wrong with my setup. This product is very bad. It retails for nearly $300 CDN. It's made by a Canadian company for a nearly unversally metric machine and it uses USCS fasteners. The worst part is that the company offered to send me a free guide after I wrote a review on NSMB and then never followed through with it. The review wasn't that bad, and by no means was it hostile. Don't buy anything from this company. There's a lot of bad ones out there but I've never run into one as dishonest as Blackspire.

Word.

Similar Products Used:   MRP

Bike Setup:   Kickin' ass!!!

Submitted by Darren Leary a Downhiller from Victoria BC

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to adjust, good bash guard.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Great unit, does what it should.

Favorite Trail:   Planet of the Apes

Bike Setup:   2001 Super 8, 2002 Monster, Avalanche DHS

Submitted by Kristian a Weekend Warrior from Helsinki, Finland, Europe

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2002

Strengths:    Sturdy, does what it is supposed to do. looks ;)

Bottom Line:
Very sturdy and works as a charm. I ride mainly urban freeride with this bike and I do not notice the chainguide when I ride. I have never dropped my chain with it. ie. Works like a charm. I love the looks of it too.