Blackspire Dewlie Chainguide Chain Accessories

3.85/5 (20 Reviews)

Free ride chain device. For a dual ring set up. For use with splined BB/crank only. Comes with inner plate, all hardware, two chainrings and an outer plate.

Zero drag when climbing. Tension when descending. The perfect all mountain chain device.

Colours : black

Submitted by El Toverino a Weekend Warrior from Cardiff, Wales

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to fit and does the job its meant to do. I've been riding trails including a very rocky dried stream bed, hitting jumps, drops and tree stumps and nothing has managed to make this thing drop a chain. Didn't have any problems fitting it or following the instructions; there's only two bits to it and its pretty self explanatory. I did it with a few alan keys and socket set and took about 20 mins.

Weaknesses:    Rear shifting affected ever so slightly, but then i haven't tried to fix it yet so could be a non issue. The top curvey bit seems a bit pointless.

Bottom Line:
A good product that does exactly what you want it to do. Although i think you could achieve the same or similar results with a stinger and bash ring and save yourself 1/3 of the cash. It gets a 4 cos of the cost, but then its the cheaper than e13 etc so that might be unfair.

Favorite Trail:   The Whites Level, Glyncorwwg

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Lapierre Zesty 314, ISCG 05. 32t middle ring and granny.

Submitted by brad morfitt a Weekend Warrior from calgary, alberta, canada

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2006

Strengths:    it is on of the strongest chainguides i have owned i have not had any problems with it and when i bought it it cam with new sprockets and bash guard.

Bottom Line:
this is a very strong chainguide and i would recomend it to all of my friends

Purchased At:   gericks cycle and sprts

Submitted by Adam a Downhiller from PA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2006

Strengths:    This was a true set it and forget product for me. No dropped chains, full range of gears, stealthy looks, great price.

Weaknesses:    The roller is noisy, but I've come to enjoy it as it lets me know when I'm not pedalling hard enough. Also, it's only noticeable on hills and fireroads.

Bottom Line:
I agree with other posters that the directions are useless, but if you have a basic understanding of what this chain guide is intended for, you should be able to set it up quickly. For what I paid for it, I figured the guide could be a throw away because chainrings and a bashguard should cost more than $60, but the guide has been great. I would buy it again at retail when/if the time comes. Right now I'm planning to put the Dewlie on my Heckler and get a DS-1 for my Iron Horse.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   IH SGS, 7x7, basically a burly FR bike with a granny gear. I set the Guide up with RF North Shore cranks and a Truvativ Gigapipe BB

Submitted by Josh a Downhiller from bethlehem,pa,usa

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2006

Strengths:    It keeps the chain on.

Weaknesses:    The chain guide is fairly easy to mount. The directions however are completely useless. They have one set of directions for ALL of their guides which is no help for the Dewlie. The design of the guide is poor. The inner plate is almost the same diameter as the bash guard. Thus when you bash hard the inner plate takes the hit as well which can cause it to move. The roller is not wide enough. With the front in the granny the chain will bear on the roller. And this is with the correct bottom bracket setup.

Bottom Line:
The guide does not guide adequately for my bike. I tried everything including flipping the roller around and I find it lacking mechanically.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   First chain guide so take my review with a grain of salt.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Comp 130 2005, modified so it doesnt break.

Submitted by Ryan a Downhiller from Bellingham, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Strengths:    Great guide, never drops a chain. Relativly light weight. The replacement rollers are cheap, but I havent had to buy one yet. The roller bearings stand up great to the mud that we get here in the Pacific North-West. Alot cheaper that a E-13 DRS, with the same performance.

Weaknesses:    A little difficult to mount on my bike. Blackspire web-site is pretty much useless.

Bottom Line:
Go out and buy this product right now! I have hucked this thing on boulders, logs, rock-gardens, drops, jump, step-up, step-downs, hips, road gaps, you name it. This thing has never dropped a chain. It seemed with the DRS, everytime I came close to bottoming in the rear, I would drop my chain into the granny, or even worse, into the bottom-bracket holder. This is most likely to the chain lenght shrinkage as the shock compresess on my Stinky. Now anymore though, as soon as I set this thing up, I never dropped a chain. This product is so light that I dont even notice it, except for when I charge a rock-garden that I used to drop my chain in all the time, and make it out unscathed. When I pedal up-hill there is no rubbing and the pedals slide as effortlessly as before.

If you havent bought this product already, then there must be something terribly, terribly wrong!

Favorite Trail:   Evolution/Scorpion, or Shawn's

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   E-13 DRS, Truvative Box-Guide (peice of crap!), MRP (overpriced) and a dual-bash set-up

Bike Setup:   2004 Kona Stinky, Kona glow-in-the-dark grips, Kona DH Primo handlebars and stem, Vanilla RC, 66, Single-Track rims on Hadley Hubs, Truvative Hussefelt cranks, Blackspire Ring-God bash guard Kenda Negeval 2.5' tires

Submitted by mike gleason a Downhiller from la habra,ca,usa

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2006

Strengths:    everything you need out the box. solid part

Bottom Line:
this is a great product. the manual says that chain guides are rarely an "out of the box installation" well this is an out of the box install. only had to mount and adjust, no trimming or shaving. the back pedal issue is only if you have a bad chain line

Similar Products Used:   black spire ds-1

Bike Setup:   bullit, super t, race face stem cranks and bb

Submitted by Bill Mayerthorpe a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2005

Strengths:    Solid Construction. Nothing wears out.

Weaknesses:    Not really any.

Bottom Line:
I cannot figure out why anyone would buy anyhting other thatn this unit for a dual ring set up. Once I got the chainline the way I wanted it, It works perfectly.

All my budds use this unit and we have no problems.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   John Henry

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain

Submitted by josh a Weekend Warrior from watford UK

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent value, ease of set-up, very strong.

Weaknesses:    Very little back pedal chain slip.

Bottom Line:
This chain device is amazing, i only ever ge it to jump, i i'm back pedaling in the biggest ring front and back, whic you should never do anyhow... Apart from this, its overly amazing. One thing, whith my saint cups, i can move then chain device's angle, and it undo's/does up the BB cups. but after i tightened then, its all good.
If you want a great double ring device, buy blackspire. I'm sure it has its flaws, but none that i have found/ had problems with.

Favorite Trail:   wippy

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Gt chucker, saints, dewlie, atom lab...

Submitted by brendan a Weekend Warrior from vancouver, bc

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Strengths:    like jake said; if you're going forward it's awesome.

Weaknesses:    same thing happens to me. when i pedal packwards the chain drops to granny...i adjusted my front derailleur, even got a bike shop to look at it, and they say it's working fine. for one ride after a tune up it works, but then after that it goes back to dropping when i backpedal. so i guess it is just a product flaw.

Bottom Line:
if it comes on a bike you're getting then it's alright, but i wouldn't go out and buy it. i'll prolly get e13 drs soon.

Favorite Trail:   A line

Bike Setup:   stock 2004 norco shore

Submitted by shm from Maine

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2004

Strengths:    Relatively compact and complete package. Quite. Smooth.

Weaknesses:    Exposed and unreinforced pulley!

Bottom Line:
2nd day on the Shore (after a one year layaway payoff) and I slid left off a log to flat landing of about two feet. Chain grabbed when exiting and I looked down to see the pulley and inner plate bent up causing a complete failure of the retention system. Had to remove the pulley system to even pedal.

Catastrophic engineering flaw in my eyes having the pulley as large, exposed and unreinforced as it is: just one small bolt/axle.

Bike Setup:   '03 Norco Shore with some extra goodies, now running an Evil DRS

Submitted by Tom Morgan a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver BC Canada

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2003

Strengths:    keeps the chain on. Comes complete with all the gear you need to make it work. Heavy duty outer plate resists
bending.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see. It does what it is supposed to do.

Bottom Line:
This thing woeks great. I had some trouble at the outset
getting the right bb, which caused me all kinds of grief.
The inner plate goes under the bb shell, and it put the chainline outboard, so the chain was always trying to derail. I found this out at the bike shop. They put in an e type bb from tru vativ, and it fixed the problem. Funny thing what not reading the instuctions will do for you.

I would buy this agian and have rec'd it to friends.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail

Purchased At:   Cove Bikes

Bike Setup:   rocky Mountain team

Submitted by Jon from Tehachapi, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff
Keeps the chain where it belongs
No drag uphill
No NOISE!!!

Weaknesses:    You're kidding, right?

Bottom Line:
I've been using this thing since March '03.

I don't know what the issue is that previous reviewers have had with throwing the chain off while backpedaling. I don't backpedal a lot, mostly when I'm ratcheting the cranks to make sure I'm in the right position to climb over some obstacle, but I've NEVER had it toss the chain while riding. I actually went out and rode the thing for a day and TRIED to get it to throw the chain while backpedaling and it WOULD NOT! Maybe I'm just lucky that my chainline is just right or maybe I didn't try hard enuf... (Don't think so...) LOL!

I've also never smacked the roller or its mounting tab. The REST of the inside plate and outside bashring have more than their share of scars, but the roller is still rolling along in one, unbashed piece.

Maybe this product isn't a perfect fit or spec for every bike, but it works exactly like the best products in the world on my bike: I don't even remember that it's there! Can't get much better than that!

Favorite Trail:   North Rim, Gooseberry Mesa, UT

Purchased At:   WebCyclery.com

Similar Products Used:   None. First time I've needed one! LOL

Bike Setup:   '03 XL Bullit; King headset; Thomson stem, seatpost; WTB Power V DH saddle; Azonic DW bars w/ODI S&M grips; Azonic HeadLock; XT shifters, chain, mech brake levers and derailleurs; Blackspire Badger FR cranks and Dewlie chainguide; Crank Bros Mallet OR Weyless B-37 pedals; Avid mech calipers with 8" Hayes rotors; XT hubs laced to RynoLite XL rims; WTB 2.5 Wierwolf (F), WTB 2.4 MutanoRaptor (R); Maxxis DH tubes

Submitted by Bogdan M a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2003

Strengths:    Keeps the chain on most times

Weaknesses:    If you do any urban stuff the little roller gets bashed into the object you bash ... instead fo the bash ring.

Bottom Line:
This is a pretty good product. I have had similar issue with it as the guy below me when backpedaling, though it is not happening to me withthat much frequency. Actually almost never when I ride. Most when I stop and the pedal goes backwards. Maybe I just don't backpedal enuff when I ride, I dunno, but it doesn't seem as severe. Also when I am doing urban type stuff where balance is and issue and I backpedal, I tend to be in the granny.

My major beef is with the roller bashing up on stuff when I try to get up on a 2-3 foot ledge. Instead of the bashring taking it, the roller gets it first ... so beware of that. I t is still in good shape despite a lot of wacks so it doesn't seem to be much a prob.

value wise .. dunno it came on my bike ... so not too sure. But over all I would say 3-4 chillys ...

Favorite Trail:   Too many

Bike Setup:   Norco VPS Shore 2003 .. mostly stock except for Chris King Headset, Easton Monkey lite bars, Raceface Diabolus seatpost

Submitted by Jake from VicTown

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
To follow up on my previous posts, I contacted Norco about my difficulties with this product since Black Spire offered absolutely no help. And they recommended that I simply flip the roller around, which temporarily solves the chain dropping problem but greatly compromises the chain line while in the granny ring, adding friction and a steep chain angle over the roller. I received a very poor response from Black Spire when i asked for help with their product. All I can say is buyer beware and this seems to be a common theme with much of there products. Hope you have a fix for next year. Cheers.

Submitted by Jake a Downhiller from Victoria

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    keeps chain tensioned

Weaknesses:    nothing if you only pedal forward....

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this product is great if you only pedal forward. Half a pedal stroke backwards and the chain falls off the top ring and down onto the granny. This happens in 2/3rds of the gear combinations in the top ring. In the middle of a long log ride 20ft in the air this can be very dangerous. I challenge anyone to get their chain to stay on while back pedaling. After emailing the Blackspire Dewlie guys for help on why this is happening I realized it is simply poor engineering and simply a poor product. I’m looking at buying the Evil dual chain guide which has obviously addressed and solved this problem. Secondly I’m ashamed that Norco and Blackspire Dewlie have suckered me into buying such a poorly tested product. Shame on you!! If anyone feels I’m out of line please email me with comments.

Purchased At:   Mountian Magic

Bike Setup:   Stock 2003 Norco Shore

Blackspire Dewlie/general chainguide help....

Price point has the Blackspire Dewlie 5arm 94mm guide on sale for only $50. I have 4bolt 104mm spacing on my cranks. Could I use this guide without the included chainrings and bashguard? The 4bolt 104mm guide is $110. My rings are brand new, does this system require the included rings and outer ... Read More »