Bionicon C.Guide V.02 Chain Guide Chain Accessories

3.54/5 (28 Reviews)

a sweet new 19-gram chain guide called the C.Guide......

Submitted by Yeti_Spaghetti

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2013

Strengths:    price (compared to other chain guides)
weight
performance

Weaknesses:    price (for what it is)
fragile

Bottom Line:
I bought one of these 6 months ago to mitigate chain slap and dropped chains. It worked great until one day a stick got wedged in with the chain through the plastic tube. I stopped on the trail and fixed it, but the guide was never the same. The arms that retain the tube are easily bent and the zip tie supports break frequently. Once the arms were bent, the two halves of the tube weren't held together as well and that increased drag on the chain. Finally, one day I got home and the c.guide had simply disappeared. I guess it broke off somewhere on the trail. It gave me an excuse to upgrade to an MRP roller. hopefully it will be more robust. Also, for anyone who cares, the red color is more blood red than most other red anodized parts.

Submitted by montana_ben a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2013

Strengths:    Worked great--for awhile

Weaknesses:    Seems to lose effectiveness as parts wear and chain stretches.

Bottom Line:
Set this up on a new bike, 1x9, hardtail with xo (non clutch) rear der. New chain, cassette, derailleur, crank--and it worked great for awhile. Chain slap was lessened, and running with a bash I never dropped the chain to the inside. Now with 2-300 miles on the parts the c-guide is still there and intact, but chain is dropping every ride and chain slap seems to be increasing--chainstay is getting beat up way up near the chainring, where I usually don't even run a protector. Even took a link out to increase tension in the system but no joy. For a little while I was very happy with it, now ordered an E13 guide.

Bike Setup:   1x9, X0 rear derailleur, 30 tooth front ring with bash

Submitted by t3mplar

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2013

Strengths:    Very light
Very simple to install
Works with a 3x front crankset

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a chain guide for a 3x crankset but there are no options out there, except the C.Guide. Although the price can seem a bit high at $50, if you consider the alternatives, it is very cost effective. To get one of the new clutch systems like would have to replace my drive train to a 10 speed from a 9 and that would cost me well over $250 (new derailleur, cassette, rear 10 speed shifter). Or to get a decent chain guide, it over a $100.

So far no chain drops and much quieter on the descents. No complaints and well worth it.

Submitted by Miker J

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2013

Strengths:    Works well, as advertised.

Weaknesses:    Price for what it is. Otherwise none so far.

Bottom Line:
As above.

Submitted by Tarekith

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2013

Strengths:    Small and lightweight, easy to install, works perfectly even for more aggressive riding/terrain.

Weaknesses:    Screw that hold the unit together could be a little larger/stronger.

Bottom Line:
I was a little hesitant about how well this little chainguide would work, as I am definitely on the more agressive side of things when it comes to all mountain riding. So far after a couple weeks of heavy use on really rough trails, not had a single dropped chain. Something that would happen often on my Rocky Mountain Slayer70 when the trails got rough. It's even held up great when hitting larger jumps and drops at the bike park, so no complaints from me. Just be sure you add a couple links to your chain when you install the Bionicon, otherwise your shifting may suffer.

Only slight downside in my opinion is the allen screw that holds the two halves of the guide together is kind of small. Even the manufacturer recommends putting tape or something over it to keep it in place. Surely there's a sturdier option?

Regardless, does what it's supposed to quite well, even on rougher trails and larger stunts.

Submitted by pocgnikcuf a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2013

Strengths:    Light, Light, light. Easy install, can't break or bend like a roller guide when riding square edged rocks. Keeps your chain on your rings.

Weaknesses:    Plastic mount can snap, mine did, but it comes with a spare. Paid full retail, $50. Wow.

Bottom Line:
Great product, basically the same thing that comes on a new Stumpjumper.

Purchased At:   omline

Similar Products Used:   Blaskspire roller.

Bike Setup:   GT Sanction

Submitted by celman1

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2013

Strengths:    Construction, Design, Cost, Mounting options

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Read many differing opinions and decided to go ahead and buy...only $50, not the end of the world if it doesn't work. I was very pleased with its performance. Our trails along the Front Range here in Colorado go straight up and straight down. Lots of lost chains on the rocky steep trails. This device works perfectly. Very quiet too and I do not notice any additional drag or any issues whatsoever. Great addition to my freeride rig!

Submitted by Jantzen a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2013

Strengths:    prevents chain suck and chain slap if it's not broken.

Weaknesses:    Extremely delicate thus easily broken.

Bottom Line:
It's a great idea, but breaks far too easily and is too costly to economically justify the constant need to replace the "barrell" (or more if you happen not to notice you have snapped it off and the guide then tries to follow your chain through your rear mech).

Specialized specs many of their Stumpjumpers and Enduros with a similar unit (made by Specialized) that does not break.

I cannot recommend this product until it's made more durable.

Purchased At:   Bionicon online

Submitted by Chuck

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2013

Strengths:    Prevents chain suck and chain slap

Weaknesses:    Plastic parts, cheaply made, doesn't last

Bottom Line:
This thing was great when I first got it. Did everything I was looking for it to do, stopped the chain suck, no more chain slap, and was able to hit bigger things without having to worry about my chain slopping around. Unfortunately everyone is correct this thing isn't worth $50.00 and it doesn't last. I broke mine and I am going to have to find some other solution for my chain suck problems. If you have money to burn and don't care go for it, it'll last about a month of hard riding.

Submitted by Varaxis a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2013

Strengths:    Gives peace of mind about chain security
Adds color to the bike
Can prevent some chain slap noise

Weaknesses:    Fragile
Adds pedaling resistance
Adds pedaling noise

Bottom Line:
Broke on me after maybe a dozen rides. I noticed it missing when my chain dropped on the inside, trying to shift to the granny ring on a climb. Metal part and the chain "shuttle" went missing, never to be found. Looked for maybe some support from JensonUSA, where I bought it, and they said I'm on my own on that, as they wouldn't accept just the plastic mount. Was like an Easter Egg hunt on the trail, looking for it a little blue anodized doohickey, worth $50.

Rode my bike without it and didn't find chainslap noise to be a problem really. No interest in getting another.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Bike Setup:   Yeti SB95, full XT 3x10, Rock N Roll Gold lube

Submitted by Eric H a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2012

Strengths:    Eliminates 90%+ of chain slap on my Ibis Mojo HD 3x10, Quiet running, Light, Helps prevent drop chains.

Weaknesses:    Price, Plastic mounts are cheap and make it a little awkward to install, Price and Price again.

Bottom Line:
When I bought my Ibis Mojo HD I really wanted a 2x10 system with a MRP Chain-guide but I found a deal too good to pass up on my 3x10 equipped one so that's what I settled on for now. The chain slap and dropped chains was terrible until I got this. Almost zero chain slap and haven't dropped a chain since. It does what it is supposed to do and does it well.

My complaints? This thing is dang pricey for what it is. Talk about a mark up! Also the mounts are made of cheap weak plastic which I can possibly see being an issue as far as reliability is concerned. I used a few extra zip ties when mounting mine and haven't had an issue yet but time will tell.

Overall I am VERY glad I got this, I cant believe how quiet it makes my drivetrain and in helping the chain drops I was having so this alone made it worth the $48 shipped I paid for it. Think they should beef up the mounting a little on it and drop the price about $15 but knowing what I know I would buy it again.

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo HD 160

Submitted by Mike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2012

Strengths:    Eliminates all chain slap and dropped chains on 6' trail bike running 1x9 gearing , using mrp 1 X top guide and c guide v. O2 mounted adjacent to the base of the tire , does what it says it does . I've hit dh runs using this setup and haven't dropped a chain yet . No noticeable drag at all , runs super quiet

Weaknesses:    Mounting hinge is plastic and very weak , broken two in 6 months but they are designed to fail to save the alloy guide, price is very steep for a product that probably cost $2 to make but the performance is worth it . Positioning is crucial though for decent performance and longevity , particularly on a long travel bike , mount it close to the base of the tire .

Bottom Line:
Using this thing for 6 months now with decent success , including some nasty DH and all mountain funs . Easy way to run a 1 x 9 setup with a super efficient chain line without dropping the chain when the trail gets rough . Be prepared to break some hinge hangers though they are not strong but at least they are cheap to replace ( bionicon website ) . Best option for a trail bike with no ISCG tabs , if it was more durable I would give it 5 chillis

Favorite Trail:   Mt Joyce black rock

Duration Product Used:   6 months or more

Purchased At:   Ebay uk

Similar Products Used:   E13 dh guides , MRP 1 x guide , wigit chainring and just about everything else.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher roscoe 140mm

Submitted by Zachary a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2012

Strengths:    I see where they were going, but they failed miserably.

Weaknesses:    Piece of Sh*t

Bottom Line:
I laughed when I saw Jimmy's review down below. BROTHER, I FEEL YA!!! This absolutely overpriced piece of JUNK cost me nearly $300 in parts alone (I do my own work, so some of you poor schmucks are going to pay for labor as well) ... why???!!!! Well, after I paid $60 for the stupid thing, it's incredibly cheap construction, poor mounting hardware and pathetic design cost me another $200+ in repairs.

When this stupid waste of your money broke off after only a few months, it got caught up in my $170 XTR derailleur and bent it up into the spokes before I noticed it had happened. Not only did it destroy my derailleur, but it bent the hanger, costing me another $30.

This is an ok (and just ok) design done terribly, terribly wrong. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! Black spire does a 2X ring that is pretty good, but MRPs 2X guide is pretty bad ass for a bit more $$ and a small hit to the ol' scale.

If you are a pansy, techno-weenie who looks at his bike more than he rides it, you'll probably LOVE this guide. If you are any sort of real mountain biker who demands performance and durability, do not waste your time or your frustration ... this thing SUCKS!!!

Favorite Trail:   Bring it

Duration Product Used:   not long enought

Purchased At:   Chainreaction

Similar Products Used:   MRP 2X, Black Spire

Bike Setup:   The bad ass mo fo

Submitted by Cutbert

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2012

Strengths:    Outstanding, does as advertised and hardly noticeable to boot! Quality product, smooth & polished finish. The answer if you bike frame doesn't have chain guide mounts.

Weaknesses:    Pricey for the simplicity. I guess it's worth the price because I couldn't make one on my own, I tried. Maybe I'm just pissed because I couldn't make this on my own. Seriously though $30 would sell twice as many, maybe that's a good thing?

Bottom Line:
Does everything it states it will. I am completely happy with my investment. Took maybe five minutes to install. Added 3 links to my chain. Zip tied the guide with the supplied ties to my chain stay and hit the trails. Pedaling and shifting I didn't even know it was there. I tried rigging my own version of this contraption on my own, although they worked, I always knew they were there, noisy, chain drag, etc.... This product is hardly noticeable, no perceptible chain drag that I could tell. Shifting is as smooth as a new bike, hard hits through rock gardens over logs, etc.... this answers my wishes. Will yours too!

Submitted by TwoHeadsBrewing a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to install, relatively cheap compared to ISCG or BB mounted guides

Weaknesses:    Plastic mounting tube breaks, zip ties break, expensive for what it is.

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line: I think the C-Guide is a great idea that needs to be re-built with all metal construction. It's ripped off 3x in as many months of riding. Not the best $50 I've spent.

I installed this originally as instructed, with the 3 zip ties. The first ride went well, rolled smooth, was VERY quiet in addition to keeping my chain from popping off. However, on the second ride it was ripped off, and I'm not sure how. I wasn't riding anything too crazy but after the ride I saw it just hanging there by one zip tie...the other two were broken somewhere on the trail. I installed 4 zip ties this time and it worked for 3 rides but on the fourth ride it was ripped off. Again this happened on a fairly tame river trail, but earlier in the day I was riding some rough downhill stuff, so maybe it broke there. I fixed it again with 4 zip ties, and it worked for a ride, then broke on the second ride. Disgusted at spending $50 on this thing, I threw it in my pack and there it's sat for weeks. Disappointed for sure.

Favorite Trail:   Guardian's

Purchased At:   Bionicon Site

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT2

Bionicon C.Guide V.02 Chain Guide + Fuel EX 8?

[url=http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Pinkbike-Product-Picks2345678.html]Pinkbike Product Picks - Pinkbike.com[/url] Been looking for a chain guide for my '10 Fuel EX 8 and was wondering if anyone has tried this on their Fuel EX's?Read More »