Bibox Chain Cleaner Chain Accessories

3.07/5 (14 Reviews)

Bibox Chain Cleaner

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Boulkder,co.,U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    Easy To use!

Weaknesses:    Instructions show to use it on the lower chain. I like to use it on the upper
chain; the front derailler as a stop.

Bottom Line:
Good Product!

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   27 speed Specialized Stumpjumper. Purchased in 1998.

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    compact size, great cleaning, box holds a solution bottle too

Bottom Line:
I replaced my old Vetta chain cleaner with this, several years ago. It is easy to use, cleans the chain well and uses only a reasonable amount of fluid. I broke one of the hinge tangs off a couple of years ago, and it still works great.

It also includes a small bottle of solution, which I've refilled as needed. Self-contained in the little box, it's easy to pack in the tool box or for mtb-trips.

If it expires, I'll buy another just like it.

Favorite Trail:   Siberia Creek

Purchased At:   Performance store

Similar Products Used:   Vetta

Submitted by Kathy a weekend warrior from New England

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1997

Bottom Line:

I'vd used one of these for a few years, and it's pretty good. Much more effective than a rag soaked in degreaser, and easier than breaking the chain and soaking it in a coffee can of solvent. Do put some newspapers under the chainline while cleaning - it leaves a lot of solvent on the chain, which then drools... Simple Green is much better than the solvent it comes with, though. My Bibox unit was getting pretty dirty, so I tried some S.G. and it removed the sludge the original solvent left behind. S.G. is all I use now. Ride clean!

Submitted by scott lauer from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

sucked, I used it to clean a moderately dirty chain and it was useless. Hard to use. Easier and better to remove your chain and keep it clean.

Submitted by Paul Weeks a cross-country rider from Hampton, NH

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

This thing is OK. I used to use it to clean my chain, but now I use it to apply White Lightning. After investing in a new cassette and chain. I use nothing but WL on it and I use this gizmo to work the WL in. The only thing is you have to empty the WL out and rinse it good with hot water when you're done, otherwise you'll have semi-hard, waxy muck in your gears the next time you take it out. As a cleaner, 3 chillies. And the fluid it comes with is Vegetable Oil! Read the bottle if you don't believe me.

Submitted by Frans a weekend warrior from San Jose, California

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

This thing is IT! after using Vetta chain cleaner like things for the last 7 years I'm sold.To be honest I was pretty skeptical when I took a look at the thing, but what the Hell it couldn't be worse than the other things.
I used it and, WOW! No degreasing fluid gushing out of the thing. As an extra bonus, it cleaned my chain pretty good to boot.I admit that I live in an area where the most you will get on your chain is a layer of dust, so cleaning is generally more like degreasing and applying fresh lube. If you live in an area where you regularly have so much gunk on the chain that you can't even see the links any more, the Bibox won't do the job, but I think nothing will in those circumstances (except a tooth brush and lots of patience).To get the best results I put some pure degreasing fluid (like Performance or Finish Line degreaser) into the unit. Run the chain through it for a few turns. Let it sit and soak for 5 minutes.
Put water into the unit and run until water is dirty. Redo with clean water until water stays clear.

Submitted by Rich Perez a cross-country rider from Denton

Date Reviewed: July 5, 1997

Bottom Line:

Forget what everyone is saying about the thing comming apart while in use.
They're just clumsy! I haven't had a problem with mine and it gets the chain
reasonalbly clean. It sure beats wasting time cleaning your chain when you
could be riding instead. This is a cleaner way of chain maintenance. Oh, if you
don't want to blow a bunch of cash of bicycle degreaser, just buy some citrus
degreaser from the grocery store.

Submitted by Andrew Stokes a cross-country rider from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1997

Bottom Line:

What a complete waste of money! The dang thing comes apart while you use it and spill dirty solvent everywhere. DO NOT buy this product! The only reason it gets one flamin' chili is because there's not a zero chili's option.

Submitted by John Pinder a cross-country rider from California

Date Reviewed: March 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

The bibox chain cleaner is the first one that I have used that works - but the best feature is its cleaning fluid - if you can find any. The cleaning solution cleans and lubricates, and on my bike, it lasts about 100 miles off road between cleanings. If anyone knows of a place, other than Performance Cycling, that carries the Bibox cleaning solution, and is in Southern California, let me know at: jfpinder@gte.net

Submitted by Andy Wineinger a cross-country rider from Andover,MN

Date Reviewed: January 3, 1997

Bottom Line:

Works decently. The unit doesn't hold enough degreaser so I have to refill 2-3 times to clean 1 chain. Doesn't do the greatest job of cleaning the inside of the chain. However, I take it any day over spray-bottle and brush.

Submitted by Phil Blum a cross-country rider from Memphis, Tennessee

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1996

Bottom Line:

This is a waste of money unless you are cleaning your chain indoors (and then you have to be careful since the Bibox has an annoying habit of opening in use. Save your money, get a cassette cleaner brush ($3.99) and a bottle of citrus degreaser ($6.99) and you'll get better results.

Submitted by George Lackey a weekend warrior from San Angelo, TX

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1996

Bottom Line:

Instead of buying a Bibox Chain Cleaner for about $17.00, take my advice and buy yourself some throwaway paint brushes for about forty cents apiece and use them. Your chain will come out a lot cleaner, and you won't feel ripped off. The Bibox not only does a poor job of cleaning the insides of the chain, it is awkward to hold in place while in use. It is also prone to coming apart unexpectedly and dumping dirty solvent on the user, the bike, and the floor.

Submitted by Paul Kelly a cross-country rider from Marcellus, N.Y.

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1996

Bottom Line:

The Bibox Chain Cleaner suffers from poor design. The biggest problem is that the solvent sits in the bottom of the cleaner. Therefore, your chain is being washed by dirty cleaner after a few revolutions of the crank. I like the easy disassembly for cleaning, but gunk consistently remains on my chain after using this tool. I recommend the Park ChainMate cleaner over the Bibox. Solvent flows from a separate chamber above the cleaning bristles on the Park, guaranteeing that you get a steady flow of fresh cleaner.

Submitted by chris a downhiller from tulsa,ok

Date Reviewed: June 14, 1996

Bottom Line:

A bikcycle chain cleaner the best if you have been
riding and your chain is really dirty and want to
clean it go with this it is a good buy.

chain cleaner from walmart

anybody use the chain cleaner kit from wally world?! i think its made by white lightning and its $10. how does it perform in comparison to a park chain cleaner?Read More »

Chain cleaner and lube suggestions

Almost everything on ebay if from China these days. I am looking for a suggestion for a chain cleaner and lube. Which ones last and are effective and easy to use and well as a basic lube suggestion -does not have to be the most high end. Thanks!Read More »

query on parktool chain brite cleaner

Hi, I got parktool chain brite cleaner . The other options available are the Pedros, finishline, icetoolz. I put a few drops of it on a rag and wiped the bike chain. It cleans up better than the icetoolz degreaser. I am thinking of using the rag to clean followed by a brush which has so ... Read More »

BioSolvent Chain degreaser/cleaner

I love using my Park Tools chain cleaner, but I ran out of the solvent and would prefer to replace with a bio-solvent. Any recommendations? I found the Finish Line product but it is super expensive: [url=http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?id=BPC159113&gclid=CPizrI6xyL0CFUgA7AodqkUAYQ]Fi ... Read More »

Isopropyl alcohol as chain cleaner?

Hi Guys, I dont usually apply any degreasers to my chain unless they are gunked up good and need a good cleaning. I always clean my chain with a small brush and re apply lube and run through a rag. When I do use degreaser I use the ecotech stuff and let it sit on my chain for a few minutes and ... Read More »