BBG Bashguard 104 32T BCD Drilled Chain Accessories

Made in Portland, Oregon USA. This is a light weight but strong bashguard that is designed to replace the big ring on your mountain or cyclocross cranks or you can cover the big ring. All bashguards are made from the same 5000 series 1/8 inch thick aluminum (except the superlights which are 1/16 inch thick) and are all anodized and laser etched for durability. It works great for single speeds, cross country and all mountain riding. They can also be used for freeriding and downhilling. The 104 32T weighs just 58 grams which is alot lighter than the 5 ounce freeride type. This product has been tested over boulders and rocks for over four years now and we have not been able to bend or break one yet.

Submitted by uf_gators06 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2014

Strengths:    price , can't beat 20.00 for some protection from snapping a chain. looks awesome, and a awesome guy to deal with.

Bottom Line:
I am so glad I was told about these from the fellow members here...

Favorite Trail:   dirty south, in knoxville,tn.

Duration Product Used:   a week so far

Purchased At:   www.bbgbashguard.com

Similar Products Used:   first bash guard ever !

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 2009 GF-Paragon 29er

Submitted by DesertRat

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, Light, Inexpensive. Easy to Install and great customer service (see below). Does exaclty what it's suppose to do!

Bottom Line:
Had this bash on for several years and literally smashed it on everything (i'm not a graceful rider). Finally bent inward a bit and was rubbing on the chain. Emailed BBG and he shipped a new one out next day, no questions asked. BBG stated they have a lifetime warranty! If you don't need a fancy chain guide/bashguard this is definitely the way to go. Highly recommended and for less than $20 shipped you can't go wrong. Thanks BBG.

Submitted by deserthouse

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2013

Strengths:    good fit and finish. well made. installs easily. looks clean and tight.

Weaknesses:    seller does not provide shipping tracking.

Bottom Line:
Easy to order and responsive seller. Good home style business.

Submitted by jtwinton a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Strengths:    light, well made, fits perfectly

Weaknesses:    none with the product. only knock is shipping cost but given the low price of the guard i can't complain too much.

Bottom Line:
i bought the 130 BCD 42t bashguard. Kept losing my chain on my recently converted road bike to flat bar 1x9 setup. Didn't want to pay a lot for a guard and found BBG online for only $14 plus $6 shipping. Super fast shipping. Highly recommend.

Purchased At:   BBG website

Submitted by Jeff James

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2013

Strengths:    Bullet proof, super easy install, looks clean, price is right!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
After reading the reviews I decided to pull the trigger on this bash guard to replace the big ring on my Shimano M552 crankset. The install was easy.... remove the 44T big-ring and replace it with this bash guard. I have SXT shifters made for three up front, but all I did was screw the high limit screw in all the way so the derailleur can't go past the middle ring. Works like a champ! Cleans up the crankset a ton, and I never used the big-ring on my previous set-up. Best MTB purchase I've made in a long time.

Submitted by burtronix a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight
Strong
Inexpensive
Good looking
Speedy shipping
I haven't needed customer service, but I hear it is great.
Easy to install.
Gained 2" clearance compared to the 44t ring it replaced.
No more chainring blood tatoos on my calf.

Weaknesses:    It's not ugly enough to scare off thieves.

Bottom Line:
I haven't bashed it on any rocks yet, but it stands up to log strikes great. Because of the extra clearance I gained by replacing the 44t ring, I hit fewer logs, but when I do I still clear them well. Replacement of the 44t ring was easy from a Sram X7 3x10. Since the BBG was roughly the same thickness as the ring, I was able to reuse the existing chainring bolts. This wouldn't have been possible with the thicker, more expensive steel or plastic bashguards. The only derailleur adjustment necessary was turning in the front high-limit screw. I'll eventually move the front derailler lower on the seat tube, but it works OK for now in the original position.

Favorite Trail:   Dryer Rd Park, Victor, NY

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Purchased At:   BBG

Bike Setup:   2012 Giant Anthem 29er X2, all original except for the BBG bashguard.

Submitted by willworkforbeer a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    Works just like it is supposed to

Bottom Line:
Been running a bashwich 1x9 for about 2 years, never lost a chain, and I can't imagine anything that would work better, especially for the low cost.
Got a new bike coming, it will be converted to 1x10 as soon as I get it, with the standard drilled one on the outside and a superlight on the inside.

Favorite Trail:   Stanky Creek

Duration Product Used:   2 yrs

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Cormac a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2012

Strengths:    does exactly what it claims. Protects your chainring(s)

Bottom Line:
I run the bashwich. Using the oval outer ring and a 64 BCD inner. Works great! With a blackspire 32t SS chainring in the middle position. Haven't lost a chain since I've gone to this set up on my 1x8. Even on rough rooty decents. I hear the chain bouncin all over the place, but it never falls off. If you use the bashwich as a chainguide it WILL work, period! Just make sure you have the correct length of chain and you'll be fine.

As far as durability of the bashguard itself? It's basically bomb proof as others have said. Only problem I ever had was when a small stick got pulled in between the inner bash and my chainring. It bent the inner bash just a little and just enough that it barely rubbed the chainstay. Laterally the superlight at least isn't very good. It was easily bent back straight however. I knew the twig was there but I kept pedaling anyway. So it was my fault. But hitting something like a log or rock head on is fine. The paint will be chipped off where you hit, but your chain and ring will be unscathed!

If your considering running 1xwhatever I'd recommend this as a chain guide/guard. Has a nice clean appearance and works great! Only reason it was so expensive is because I had to have the oval cut for the outer bash.

Favorite Trail:   Rum Village

Purchased At:   bbgbashguard.com

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Trail SL4 29er. 1x8

Submitted by Brhocker a Weekend Warrior from Oviedo,FL

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2012

Bottom Line:
here is a link to my review

Purchased At:   bbg bashguards

Submitted by barnbig a Cross Country Rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2012

Strengths:    easy to install, lightweight, made in usa, quick delivery, simple, custom looking, i think i am the only one who has it in the philippines, cheap, compared to the other made in taiwan or china plastics.

Weaknesses:    None!!!!

Bottom Line:
BBG ROCKS.
Great customer service, delivery was fast took only a month for it to reach my mailbox.
Bashwich is the way to go, tried bash and jumpstop setup which was fine until i switched to bashwich will never go back. Not saying that jumpstop will not work it was fine for most of the time and i never dropped a chain. But bash wich made my bike looked more awesome. And i think i am the only one who has it here in thephilippines.

Favorite Trail:   Camp aguinaldo, timberland heights

Purchased At:   Online direct from e

Similar Products Used:   Shimano bashguard (weighs a ton)

Bike Setup:   Niner rip 9, 1x10 setup, bbg bashwich 32tdrilled and 64 bcd inner guard installed on race face turbine single 32t chainring cranks.
Fox 32 talas 29 terralogic fork, hope hubs, velocity p35 rims, all slx drivetrain and brakes, kmc x10sl ti coated chain.

Submitted by afullsodacan a Cross Country Rider from Orlando, FL, US

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    Looks great! adds a custom look, adds more clearance, makes it a lot easier to go over logs, rocks, etc. makes it a whole lot harder to get sliced by a chainring (I have gotten a pretty nasty cut before I switched). Oh yeah, and it makes it just about impossible to drop a chain on the outside.

Weaknesses:    Might could use a teeny bit more offset as the guard has been slightly rubbed by the chain, but I think it is more because of the chainring I have. Either way, no big deal

Bottom Line:
I just recently went "ghetto" 2x9 with this bashguard instead of a third chainring, and I absolutely love the setup! I got this in blue and it looks great on my bike, I think the drilled holes really give it a simple, yet rugged look. I have only taken it over a log or two, but I am pretty confident that it is going to hold up. I have not been using it for very long and it has already been rubbed a little by the chain, but it is meant to get beat up anyway so who cares. The price is great, it ships really fast, it is made in the US! what else could you want. He also offers a lot of different styles and sizes for your needs. His customer service is great. I asked him if he could send me his darkest blue BG (because the anodizing varies slightly from batch to batch) so it would match my bike better, and he was like "sure, no problem." I wouldn't mind it being a little darker, but it matches pretty well, so I am happy. I was a little reluctant to convert to 2x9, thinking that I might miss my 3rd chainring for the occasional use like on pavement, but overall am really glad I switched (I especially do not miss getting the back of my leg sliced) .If you have thought of going 2x9, I would definitely recommend doing so and getting this bashguard.

Favorite Trail:   Carter Road, Lakeland, FL

Purchased At:   BBGbashguard.com

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant NRS C2, Fox Float 80 RL fork, Fox Float R, Easton EA70 Monkeybar, FSA 110mm stem, Avid Juicy 7's, Avid 160 rotors, a "ghetto" 2x9 drivetrain with BBG bashguard, SRAM X0 rear derailleur, SRAM X7 shifters, Shimano Deore LX front derailleur, SRAM PG-980 cassette, Raceface Deus XC cranks, Crankbrothers Eggbeaters 1 pedals, Mavic 317 wheels, Kenda Nevegals 26x2.1

Submitted by J. Bro a All Mountain Rider from Redwood City, CA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2012

Strengths:    I ordered the 104-32 that isn't drilled. This thing is super light and bomb proof with a hard as hell anodized finish. I think it only weighs around 53 grams. Not your average lexan piece of junk. It's a very simple design that looks awesome. BUILT IN THE U.S.A! Very quick delivery (took a couple of days). Thinking about swapping out my 32T ring for a 34. I'll just grab another one of these bad boys for $18. Oh yea, lifetime warranty.

Weaknesses:    Weakness? Nope.

Bottom Line:
Decided to drop the big ring since the trails here in the Bay Area have some serious climbs. Not worried about the rockier sections of trail, or the giant exposed redwood roots covered in chainring scars. Also not running the risk of my big 44T ring biting my leg anymore. Why buy overpriced Chinese stuff when you can get one of these directly from the dude who makes them up in Oregon?

Favorite Trail:   Resolution (El Corte De Madera)

Purchased At:   BBG Bashguards

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Ciclon (USA), Thompson, Shimano XT, DT Swiss hoops, King Headset, Fox RP23 shock, Rockshox Sektor U-Turn fork, Monkeylite carbon bar...

Submitted by jhuffman a Weekend Warrior from Chardon Ohio

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, appropriately priced for a plate of aluminium cut and drilled, fits perfect. Made in USA!

Weaknesses:    Absolutely nothing

Bottom Line:
Perfect bash ring. Strong simple and affordable. Made in Portland. Why would anybody ever pay 40+ dollars for a part made in China, out of plastic designed to be smashed into rocks?? I LOVE my BBG bash ring. If I could give it 10 flaming chillis I would! Thank you Erin for your great customer service. Shipping immediately.

Favorite Trail:   Rockwall