AJs Bikeparts FrameGuard Chain Accessories

4.93/5 (14 Reviews)

Specifications:
  • Prevents the chain from dropping off the inside of the chain rings
  • Protects the bottom bracket area from chain damage
  • Designed for use with 2 or 3 chain rings
  • Bottom bracket mounting fit most frame designs from hardtails to long travel suspension bikes
  • 2 models available to fit most BB shell width-BB spindle length combinations
  • fits new style integrated BB cranksets
  • CNC machined 6061 T6 and black anodized
  • weight-52 grams
  • XC and freeride tested

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by bgriff008 a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, OH USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2010

Strengths:    Works like it says

Bottom Line:
    Everyone who posted before me, has already said everything there is to say about this product....Just plain awesome. My chain has never come off since I installed this. Also, it protects the BB shell and Frame....Great product.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry and Steves Loop

Bike Setup:   Turner Spot

Submitted by Bobthebuilder4541 a Weekend Warrior from Halifax

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2009

Strengths:    It works a treat! I would not have a bike without one now. well finished.

Weaknesses:    Bit pricey, Can't find them anywhere now. How can a product this good not be sold at every LBS in the world.

Bottom Line:
    Great product! Full Stop!

Favorite Trail:   Pennine's

Similar Products Used:   ronnie ring

Bike Setup:   Stumpy 09 Expert carbon. Ghetto tubeless

Submitted by Jeffrey Hoffmann a Weekend Warrior from Fairfield, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2009

Strengths:    It works - It can't not work! The design is so simple it is fool proof. It can't go out of adjustment because there is no adjustment once set up (there is a spacer supplied for minor adjustment which I did not use). Tried to throw the chain off by mis-adjusting the front derailer, lossening the chain even sticking a screwdriver in it to force the chain off the inner chainring and I could not get the chain to come off! Beautiful CNC execution and it fits. AJ has two widths according to the bottom bracket width.

Weaknesses:    None.(only come in anodyzed black)

Bottom Line:
    Why is this not installed on all bikes? Good price for something that actually works, keeps you from getting killed on a downhill, is made well, and did I mention it actually works! And it's made in the USA. Worth every dollar. Stop complaining about the $10 clamp on "thing" that does not work on your $_,000 bike and spend a couple of bucks for a quality part!

Favorite Trail:   Houston Woods, Oxford

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   N-Gear Jump Stop and Redline "tooth" clamp-on type of devices.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F1000 hardtail, FOX RLT 100mm Forks, XTR Shadow Rear derailer, XT triple front derailer, ATAC pedals, SRAM PC99 chain, Cane Creek Aeros High Tension Wheels, AVID Single Digit Ultimate Brakes, Easton carbon bars, Good-Evil Grips, XTR Shifters, XTR Brake levers, Michelin Extream Tires.

Submitted by vmoon2@cox.net a Weekend Warrior from Laguna hills

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2008

Strengths:    really works

Weaknesses:    should be called a chain tamer or something related to keeping the chain in place. The frame guard name made me pass on it before. I thought it was just to protect paint.

Bottom Line:
    Very rarely do I make phone calls to my friends to tell them they have to buy something. This invention is simple and trick. I no longer have to interupt my flow to convince my shifter to grind the chain back on after coming off. I don't have to stop and pull it off my bb shell with my hands either. You big companies out there, try one out and make it a standard deal on your triple ring aggressive trailbikes. This is a product that once on, you'll take it for granted. Pull it off, and you'd wish you had'nt. Excellent idea AJ.

Favorite Trail:   five oaks, telonics, laguna ridge

Purchased At:   The Path in Tustin

Similar Products Used:   nothing else, but have been researching rollers. I like being triple chainring so this was one of my few options.

Bike Setup:   '08 Heckler5 with a very amazing '06 thru-axle Nixon fork. XT cranks and an AJ's fg1 guard.

Submitted by Stephen a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Niguel, CA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
    No matter if I started a downhill run in the middle ring or not, seems by the end, or at least when I needed to peddle again my chain was sitting there on the frame.. Let me tell you the frame got trashed over time. Wish I had known about this product before.

I've been on a couple of pretty good rides since installing it, Chiquito was the last one and I had NO problems what so ever, I can even ride in the granny gear knowing that the chain will be there when I need it.

The best features are that I can keep all 3 rings up front and don't have to go for a chain tensioner and rock solid manufacturing.

Go AJ!

Purchased At:   ThePath

Bike Setup:   2001 Bullit XL, Mavic rims, R2 forks, Thompson post, Chris King hubs....

Submitted by Simon Lorry a Weekend Warrior from Sydney,AUS

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2006

Strengths:    Awsome quality. Does exactly as advertised.

Weaknesses:    Unfortunately it just wont fit on my Reign1. I tried the FG-2 model and it wont clear the tricky lower swingarm links. If anyone has fitted to a Reign pls let me know how and which Frame guard model they used!

Bottom Line:
    Brilliant piece of equipment fits the Blur ok and perfectly if your prepared to file a little piece out of the outer diameter to clear the swingarm main pivot.(FG-2)

After several days of riding familiar territory, which normally has me cursing the dreaded chain off the granny, absolutely no problems. Works perfectly.
    Happy enough to pay the price for that level of quality.
    Would be great if there was a bike suitability list, even if just for the more common/popular brands.

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign1. Santa CRuz Blur.

Submitted by Jeremiah a Cross Country Rider from West Richland, WA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    It works!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I built a new bike and with previous bikes I have always had an occasional problem with the chain falling off from mid to granny. Now that I have installed this I have never had a problem with the chain falling off. Great product and not too expensive or bulky.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outfitter

Bike Setup:   17" Litech Magnesium, RockShox Duke SL, SRAM X.0

Submitted by Larry from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2006

Strengths:    It simply WORKS.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    This is an easy review to write since the product flat out works as it's supposed to. I couldn't not use the typical "fang" type chain guards due to my frame design, so I searched another solution and found the AJ's Frameguard. Before using this product, my chain would fall off every couple rides at least once. Since installing the Frameguard on my Giant VT3, my chain has not dropped off once.

I am getting one of these for my girlfriend's bike, and I plan to use one of these on any future bike I get right off the bat (before I even ride it the first time.) It's a bit more expensive than other similar products, but it REALLY WORKS.

Note that my bike needed the "new" version with the extra machining (less metal on the inner ring area.) If you have a suspension pivot that is close to the BB shell, make sure you get this new version.

One last note -- I called AJ at the company and he was quite nice, taking the time to answer my questions before I ordered it. This is a quality product from a good company.

Larry

Bike Setup:   Giant VT3

Submitted by Kracker from Texas

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2006

Strengths:    IT WORKS!!! no more chains eating the bottom bracket!

Weaknesses:    hard to get a hold of one... not many retailers out there; avg price $40 - a bit high for a machined aluminum ring, but hey it works

Bottom Line:
    GET ONE! I’ve tried two different dual ring tension guides to keep the chain from dropping. They worked (sometimes) but cause the chain to drop when you backpedal. The AJ's Frame Guard works with 1, 2 or 3 rings. It adds no tension to the drive train and doesn’t affect the chain line so pedaling is unaffected. There is no way the chain can drop... it's as big as the mid chainring.

More retailers should carry the frame guard IN-STOCK, been waiting over a week for mine. And what's with the $40 price tag, I know it's not much but it has to cost less than a forth of that to make. For that I give it a 3 on value.

Similar Products Used:   MRP LRP , E-13 DRS

Bike Setup:   free-ride dual suspension w/dual chinrings and 9 speed cassette

Submitted by Pawel a Cross Country Rider from Okemos, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Strengths:    Stops chain jumps for good. Allows to ride with a completely slack chain. Sturdy.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Requires a bottom-bracket cup with a lip. Another FrameGuard's version may be required after a drivetrain rearrangement.

Bottom Line:
    The FrameGuard is outstanding. I first used it when riding with a 4t of chain slack beyond what the rear derailleur tensioner could absorb. I could regularly shift when standing without any chain jumps. Spare your chain, frame and the small ring, and $10-15, when buying a cheaper chain-jump protection, and go immediately for the FrameGuard.

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   N-Gear Jump Stop

Bike Setup:   Trek 730 with 11-34 rear cassette and 20-46 front chainring range.

Submitted by Todd Stephenson a Cross Country Rider from Aliso Viejo,CA. USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2004

Strengths:    First,it is obvious from one look that AJ's frameguard is solid and well built. It's simple, easy to install,and also looks really cool.

Bottom Line:
    This thing really works. No more scrapes around my bottom bracket or dropped chains. I've stopped twisting chains and even had a lot less chain suck! If you are a cross country racer,this is a must;especially when it gets muddy. AJ's frameguard gives me confidence when I shift down or go through rough sections. Also,it was super easy to install. When I got my new XTR crankset - it simply replaced the driveside spacer that Shimano gave me.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe rim trail

Purchased At:   aj'sbikeparts.com

Bike Setup:   Trek STP 400 soft-tail. Carbon Rock Shox forks,full XTR,Bontrager race lite wheels,Crank Bros eggbeaters.

Submitted by thephat from Tustin, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2004

Strengths:    It is simple, no moving parts, and not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    Not as secure as a chainguid, but less heafty, simpler, cheaper, and no drag.

Bottom Line:
    I used to drop the chain on this bike, and it would get stuck between the small ring and the main pivot. This is not possible any longer. If the chain is going to come off,it is going to come off over the top of the frame gaurd, or out past the big ring. I'm not sure, but I think this thing would help deal w/ chainsuck too.

Purchased At:   The Path Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   MRP WC 2 on another bike, not that similar

Bike Setup:   Kona Bear (02 version of Dawg)XT M760 cranks set up double with a bash.

Submitted by sokratis a Cross Country Rider from tahoe city ca.

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2004

Strengths:    yet to lose a chain

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    I kept loosing my chain on the xlt on really rough section mixed with dropping down two my small ring right before a small climb(It all happens so fast). Loosing your chain right before your climb is the worst. Your rhythm and flow are gone then your sitting there trying to pull the F^%#$n chain out and back on the your ring as your buddy blows right past you. I've yet to lose a chain since I started using this product. It's hands down the best purchase I ever made for my ride. I've had a few people tell me that if your front derailleur is set right you should never lose your chain. Maybe so, then my response is let me see how scratched up your bottom bracket is. End of story..
    If you have any questions about this product feel free to call AJ himself.(check out his web sight) Way cool guy and he will gladly answer any questions you might have..

Favorite Trail:   so many

Purchased At:   on the web

Bike Setup:   I had an xlt 2.0 last years and this years version broke frame three times. Great ride but could not handle the abuse so now I ride the kona coiler. So far so good..

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Los Angles, Ca.

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2004

Strengths:    haven't lost the chain yet! (it works)
    nice machining
    easy to install

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    this thing really works! I used to lose my chain about once a ride while decending in the rough stuff. I haven't lost it once since I put this on. I love my 4 bar horst link suspension. I don't think there's a design out there that tracks the ground better. But they do tend to let the chain flop off. If your chain ever jumps off the front chainrings, put this sucker on and forget about it!

Purchased At:   cambria bike

Bike Setup:   Turner XCE, Romic, Marzocchi marathon, full XT, Thomson

AJ's FrameGuard on Blur LT?

I was wondering if anyone has tried the AJ's Frameguard ( [url]http://www.ajsbikeparts.com[/url] ) and if so, which model of the will fit on a Blur LT (FG1 or FG2?). I have a new bike coming soon and was thinking that I might just stop the chain from falling off the small chainring before it ever ... Read More »

Any 575rs running AJs Frameguard?

Any of you 575rs running AJs Frameguard? If so what version? 1/32 FG1 or the 1/8 FG2? Thanx for the infoRead More »

AJ's FrameGuard with Ventana

Anyone use the above product on a Ventana with a X-Type BB? Does it replace the RF drive side spacer?Read More »

Anyone using a Frameguard on their Spot?

Has anyone tried the AJs Frameguard pictured on a Turner below? Since I've been taking my 'Spot into rougher, more technical descents I've been having a problem with dropping the chain onto the bb shell (even if I start with the chain on the middle ring). The shifting is flawless and I'm pretty ... Read More »