Sunrace Freewheel Cassette

2.46/5 (28 Reviews)

9 speed freewheel(thread on style) Compatible with 9 speed chains 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32t

Submitted by rudi

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2013

Strengths:    no review but a question

Weaknesses:    no review but a question

Bottom Line:
no review but a question.
Is it possible to convert the 8speed sunrace freewheel to
a 9 speed freewheel?
It should be possible but how?

Submitted by John Turner

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Strengths:    inexpensive

Weaknesses:    poor quality material

Bottom Line:
this is the only 9 speed cassette free wheel available to go with my Bionx electric have only gone 1000k already noisy don't expect many more miles out of this unit.

Submitted by azonic_alex a Cross Country Rider from Colchester, UK

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2011

Strengths:    This is for the 9 speed model. It worked for a while OK.

Weaknesses:    It developed movement, teeth broke off and the lockring came loose. I had only done 1100 miles on it.

Bottom Line:
This is awful, it broke after 1100 miles. I replaced it with a Shimano Alivio 9 speed model which works fine. Not worth saving a few pounds on as it will break long before a Shimano. Avoid like the plaque.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano cassettes

Bike Setup:   XC hardtail

Submitted by jalooka a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2011

Strengths:    The 11-32 9 speed casette came stock on my 2010 Access 29er and lasted 2000 miles before it was replaced - my chain was long over due for a change and wore it out. Even so, it shifted seamlessly until the end, never bent or chipped.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I've commuted a few days a week for most of this year with this cassette. The round trip is 23 miles, of which 8 miles is through some pretty rough trails (or lack thereof). I weigh in at around 240lbs, gear included and tend to ride with a low cadence. This cassette picked up and drug pretty much anything you could find in a bush including tree branches. It never bent, broke or chipped. It was always reliable and I never had any issues with it. Even with a trashed chain it shifted and performed reliably. Great product. Great value.

Favorite Trail:   286

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 970 11-32 9 speed

Bike Setup:   Access XCL 9.5 2010.

Submitted by xmessenger a Weekend Warrior from Vic BC

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2011

Strengths:    INEXPENSIVE!,shifting,durability(thus far)

Weaknesses:    None...so far.

Bottom Line:
Frankly, at just $15, I just had to try it.I required a 7 speed(12-28)and couldn't find a Shimano, plus I was expecting to have to pay at least a hun as that was what I paid before I had stopped riding 10 years earlier. A year has passed and I havent experianced any problems. NO bending or breaking.The weight isnt excessive due to the plastic/polymer spacers and drilled holes.The shifting is decent with the ramps. I am a light rider, and ride mostly street but I see no reason to pay so much more for little improvement. At $15 you have only that to lose.

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT 8 speed.

Bike Setup:   92 Rocky Team Comp(Tange Ultralight),TB Project 2,Syncros stem, XTR RD,DX Thumbies,EC 70 flat bar. Built for street w/ 1 1/8" Gatorskins.

Submitted by maurothebiker a Cross Country Rider from italy

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    technology:light weight holes,fluid drive plus,lock-ring type,engineered polymer spacers(mfm30 7cs c)

Weaknesses:    big gear sprocket with only 28 teeths

Bottom Line:
beautiful chromed,very silent,big purchase

Favorite Trail:   x-zone,sulfury water,ciociaria's hills

Purchased At:   ruotalibera pofi fro

Similar Products Used:   shimano tourney,tridiamond,regina,taiyo

Bike Setup:   royal seat,wellgo pedals,sunrun,liqiya,ke zhen,kilin,dino 808,zy,tec chain,yin xing,huan yu,fu feng,golden hill frame malaysia very heavy,very tough

Submitted by mchalk9012 a Weekend Warrior from Huntsville Aabama

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Chipping, bending, breaking teeth

Bottom Line:
Less than 300 miles and it has chipped, bent and broken teeth. I am riding this bike only on the street with a set of Shimano 2200 derailleurs and shifters and its disintegrating rapidly. Especially bad on upper cogs. If you buy a bike with one of these on it, have them change it immediately, if you are riding one check it immediately. Ride strong, Ride SAFE!

Favorite Trail:   Green Mountain

Purchased At:   Came on my bike

Similar Products Used:   SRAM, Shimano, Regina, Atom, Suntour, Cyclo

Bike Setup:   Stock DAWES Lightning tour, Shimano 2200 derailleurs, Alex 500 Rims, Kenda tires, Promax brakes, triple chain rings, etc.

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Texas

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2006

Strengths:    crisp shifting

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
good performance, no complaints

Similar Products Used:   shimano, shram

Submitted by Evan Plews a Racer from Dallas, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Strengths:    Shifts great and very durable.

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than XTR.

Bottom Line:
Great alternative to the status quo. Very durable and the ti nitride coating looks cool, too! Just replace your chains and these things wear like--well, steel.

Favorite Trail:   Waldo Lake

Similar Products Used:   Sram, shimano.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Super Grizzily with Spinner fork; Sunrace/XTR drivetrain; Magura brakes; SDG I-beam seat/post, Syntace bar/stem; Kenda tires; Crank Bros pedals.

Submitted by Christian Combs a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2005

Strengths:    Cheaper than shimano & sram. Lasted (still going) longer than xt and any sram. Shifts well. Durability is excellent.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find. Not many bike shops know how to get the product. I got mine by calling direct.

Bottom Line:
I don't know if SunRace steped up their quality for 2004 but I had gone through 4 XT cassettes, chains, and chainrings between Dec 2003 and March 2004. I am a Clydesdale rider (a huge clydesdale rider at 270#) who races which means I ride the crap out of my gear. I was tired of dropping $220.00 every 3 to four weeks to keep riding. I made a few calls to SunRace about their products and bigger fellas. They sent me two different cassettes. I put one on each of my bikes back in March and they are still on there. Running, Shifting, and racing just fine. I have well over 500 miles on each. We're talking racing, road trips, and training. I have replaced my chainrings and chain at least twice and still haven't had to replace the cassette. BOTTOM LINE....THESE THINGS ROCK. I was supposed to gie SunRace a write up and send the cassettes back to them when they wore out but they are still kicking. I don't know if things have changed at SunRace but anyone who swore them off should give them another try.

Favorite Trail:   South Mountains AZ

Purchased At:   Free From Sunrace

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR, XT, DX, LX, Sram, Suntour (back in the day)

Bike Setup:   Secialized Stumpjumper and Epic with Thomson stem and post, XT Cranks (integrated), XTR ft & rr drlrs, Sram shifters, XT Brake levers, XT Hubs, Mavic X3.1 rims, Sram Chain. Dolomite Ti seat. Both bikes set up same

Submitted by American Lesion a Cross Country Rider from Venango County, PA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2004

Strengths:    Shifts decently, despite what these know-it-alls who "really know how to adjust" their derailleurs say. Cheap. Nice finish.

Weaknesses:    A tad heavy as far as cassettes go. Stigma from boobs that post bad stuff about it on MTBR.com when they are actually as clueless as they come

Bottom Line:
Listen, I have used all manner of stuff. These things shift just swell, especially for the price. I know those "If it ain't XTR it ain't squat" babies will look down their nose at you....until you catch them riding their NON-IMAGINARY bike equipped with Altus....which they bought at Walmart. Not everyone needs XTR...or XT for that matter. Sunrace cassettes are plenty tough...the cogs resist bending better than LX. So take that.

Favorite Trail:   Samuel Justus, Allegheny, and Oil Creek Trails

Purchased At:   Bike Parts USA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 600 Ultegra, Deore, Suntour (Shimano-spaced), Performance, and Nashbar. Sachs, Suntour, Falcon, Sunrace, Shimano freewheels.

Bike Setup:   Sunrace RDM-60 rear mech and Sunrace M30 twisters with Taya chain, Scott-Pederson SE brakes, Suntour fork, Wellgo clipless peds, Acera X front mech Specialized Son-of-a-Strongarm crank with Avitar and LX rings (bike 1), Shimano Deore full-kit w/disks, Zoom Gordo 650 double crown fork, Titec goodies (Bike 2), Sachs/SRAM Plasma rear mech, Judy TT fork, Shimano Exage M350 Trail front mech and crank with Syncros, LX and Specialized rings, KMC Chain (bike 3) XT rear mech, Deore front, Truvativ 5D crank with Syncros, LX, and steel Truvativ inner rings, Taya chain, wellgo peds, Titec goodies, Gripshift MRX.

Submitted by tr smith a Weekend Warrior from midland,mich

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Strengths:    Chrome plating on cogs, shifts very well for me, good price. I bought two for two different recumbents,, works fine on both.

Weaknesses:    None that I know of, except whats listed on this board.

Bottom Line:
So far so good.!! My use is not real hard riding at all,,but I do shift under load,,and it works great for me so far. Based on what you z are saying though,,I am going to start inspecting it regularly.

Purchased At:   alfred e bike