SRAM PG-990 9SP Cassette

3.29/5 (35 Reviews)

Sram Powerglide PG-990 Cassette 9/speed. Sram's competition level 9/speed cassette. Anodized alloy Lock Ring. Blast Chrome Plated finish. Powergile II Precise shifting lanes designed to more smoothly shift the chain form cog to cog. Less wear, long l

Submitted by Neverdab a Cross Country Rider from Winthrop Harbor, Il

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    Very durable. Reasonable price and weight. Reliable shifting.

Weaknesses:    Zippo.

Bottom Line:
Just finished up my 3rd season on this thing and it still looks good and works great. I'm not the most diligent with cleaning and I'm not some pipe cleaner racer boy at 200lbs. It has been just dandy, always providing predictable shifting and with no visible wear on the teeth. I do change my chain once a year. As close to a set and forget drivetrain component as you're likely to find, five flamers all around.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mtn in Tennessee

Similar Products Used:   XTR XT

Bike Setup:   Custom Carl Strong 29er 1x9

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    works well

Bottom Line:
For me, shifts better than XT cassettes. Don't know about comparable durability yet.

Similar Products Used:   xt

Submitted by BokorSolo a Weekend Warrior from Prince William, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2010

Strengths:    Lightest cassette I have ever used. Cool color and looked great on the bike. Shifted great.

Weaknesses:    Wears very quickly. Price is not too great if you were buying it MSRP or even on sale.

Bottom Line:
I was riding a few days a week about 1-3 hours per ride and by the end of the season the cassette was working horribly. The teeth wear very quickly. It is not worth the money if you are a recreational rider and you just want reliable, long-lasting equipment. Get a PG-980 or an XT, they last longer. Unless you are a racer. Then give it a try.

Purchased At:   Liquidation at LBS

Similar Products Used:   PG-980, Shimano XT

Submitted by JH a Cross Country Rider from Sarasota,FL,USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    It never came to that...

Weaknesses:    Tolerances between spyder and freewheel

Bottom Line:
Building a new bike, got a cassette from Sram PG-990,2009,new condition. Tried to install it on a Shimano wheelset with a standard Shimano freewheel body(XT). The play of the spyder on that freewheel body is unacceptable...at least for me! The result would be a constant klicking noise under load change(shifting), reduced shifting quality. The play is radial meaning the freewheel (steel)would work it's way into the spyder (AL alloy). No, this is not my first bike I am building. Might be a one time fault??? No word yet from Sram! One chili is the lowest I can give, just for the look of the cassette, basically it is junk! Do not recommend!

Favorite Trail:   The woods in Germany

Similar Products Used:   xt, xtr mountain bike, ultegra, dura ace, campagnolo, miche road bike

Bike Setup:   This one- X-racer Titus, KCNC stem,handle bar,seat post,xt cranks,xtr front shifter,Sram x.9 rear shifter,Magura Marta SL, Magura Durin Race,Wippermann chain,tubeless tires on different wheel sets...you want that I list them all?

Submitted by Spokaned a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA.

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Nice and lightweight, crisp shifting, looks great too. I had this on my last bike (Blur XC) and replaced the worn XT on my recently purchased Enduro SL PRO CARBON. Nothing wrong with the XT, just had great luck with the SRAM and I prefer buying from an american company.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I'm sold on SRAM's top-end stuff XO shifters, hollowpin chain, XO der. They're an innovative company cranking out great products and they're an alternative to Shimano (I always like choices).

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Jenson online

Similar Products Used:   XT cassette and chain

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro SL PRO CARBON with SRAM XO drivetrain.

Submitted by Bike Bloke a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, Performance, Looks...

Weaknesses:    Price - but if you know where to look, it's not so bad - especially next to XTR?!!

Bottom Line:
I've been running this for over a year now on my hardtail, and recently put one on my full suspension bike. Firstly, they obviously look great, but its not all looks. They shift much faster and smoother than my old 970, and the loss in weight is great. The only downside is the price, but you really cant get much better than this.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PG970, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Custom Scott Hardtail & Custom Mongoose Teocali Super

Submitted by DavidNeiles a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2009

Strengths:    Light and strong. Looks/Style. $$. Good way to go shimano-less

Weaknesses:    Can't say I have found one.

Bottom Line:
I have always loved shimano but, I got my first experience with my new ride last year that came w/ pretty much all sram. I upgraded right away to the 990 and x9 frt der. because I can! I now have 2 bikes with all sram and I love there smooth shifting and it has been flawless for me.(1:1 is better) I do keep my stuff in top shape(shop mechanic has its benefits). Can't say it is "soft", I ride hard and this cassette is really awesome. Can't say I'll go back to xt. Buy it if you don't want to run shimano and/or looking to save some $$

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mtn

Similar Products Used:   Have run Shimano xtr &xt for 13+ yrs. before moving to all sram now.

Bike Setup:   08 Mission 2 w/ x9 stuff and also 09 Sortie Black w/ XO

Submitted by GrantB a Cross Country Rider from Macon, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Not a long wearing part

Bottom Line:
I am a cheap guy who likes to race a few times a year, so I'm always trying to split the difference between price/weight etc. In that pursuit, I've used I don't know how many of these things. I'm a victim of false economy, though.

I keep coming back because of the price. I look at the cost of an XT cassette and have to shake my head. So I pony up for the cheaper SRAM.

The problem is that, even changing chains well before the .75 stretch mark, I can't get one of these cassettes to last through more than one chain. I hate leaving a chain on too long because replacing chain rings is even more of a PITA than the cassette, so typically here I go getting another reasonably priced but made of butter SRAM.

Well, I returned to the XT today. I had one years ago that lasted and lasted. I couldn't believe it. Well, I sucked up my frugality and threw my lot in with a new XT. If I can get just through two chains with it it will have been as cost effective as the SRAM. And it's lighter, too. We'll see.

Favorite Trail:   Huff 'n Puff @ Dauset

Purchased At:   various and sundry

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Kona King Kikapu, XT derailleurs, SRAM chains, lightish everything else.

Submitted by Montytian a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Strengths:    upgraded from PG870, the PG990 is a really eye catcher, but much cheaper than XTR, working very smooth with SRAM X9 mech and shifter(don't use it with any Shimano's).

Bottom Line:
some people said it's too soft but mine is fine so far. just keep cleaning dirt every month---good Cassette needs your care :-)

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PG870, Shimano deore XT, LX and 105.

Bike Setup:   an old Orange Evo2

Submitted by dtacmed a Cross Country Rider from Kannapolis, NC USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2009

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    Noise, Poor Shifting compared to Shimano

Bottom Line:
Not the same quality as Shimano. Liked the color and was told it was the same quality. Well it's not on the same level as Shimano. Has a weird metal sound when shifting kind of a "ping" have removed re-installed adjusted etc. Go with Shimano. Forget the color.

Favorite Trail:   Sherman Branch

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   XT

Bike Setup:   Kona Full Suspension,

Submitted by AwP a Cross Country Rider from 904

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight. Dropped 6 ounces from the stock cassette.
Much improved shifting from the stock cassette. Very comparable to XT's cassette in quality.

Weaknesses:    Not sure how durable it is given that I have only pedaled it for less than half a year. Good so far and I have high hopes.

Bottom Line:
Buy it. Just ask your bike shop to special order it and ask nicely to work a deal.

And the red anodized lock ring is smokin.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline

Purchased At:   Champion Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Sram stock cassette. Heavy crap.

Bike Setup:   XTC. X-9. SLX cranks. Mavic Crosslands. BB7's.

Submitted by theminiking a Cross Country Rider from Crowthorne, Berks, UK

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2008

Strengths:    Love a bit of anodised bling!

Weaknesses:    Made of stainless cheese and wears incredibly fast

Bottom Line:
Looks great but has only lasted about 300 miles!! Chain was replaced at the same time and cleaned and relubed after every ride. Chain has easily outlasted this cassette.
As someone else said, the rings seem to be stainless steel which simply doesn't wear well, especially in the sandy conditions around here. I'm not exactly gentle on my drivetrain either at 6'8" and 225lbs!

Favorite Trail:   Swinley Forest

Purchased At:   www.wiggle.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano cassettes

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS Carbon, Fox Float forks, XT drivetrain, Middleburn rings, etc, etc.

Submitted by Bob12676 a Cross Country Rider from Pinckney, MI

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2008

Strengths:    Lighter & more ridged than LX cassette I replaced

Bottom Line:
I have been told that the rings will wear quickly,I ride 3 or 4 times a week (40 or 50 miles a week) and have yet to see any evidence of excessive wear. My guess is this has a lot to do with the trails I ride and my riding style. So far this cassette has proven to be bullet proof. There have been times I thought for sure I would have bent or broken a tooth (shifting at the worst possible time mid-climb), but nothing and I am not a small guy (6’4” 200lbs).

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Easton 70 series- seat post, stem- monkey light bars
Sram 970 cassette

Submitted by jj_4x4 a Weekend Warrior from pomona, ca

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2008

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Everything, skipped in 3 gears from day 1 never worked smoothley

Bottom Line:
Do not be fooled by SRAMS cheaper but just as light as Shimano products. They are pure garbage. I thought maybe it was just me or they needed to be broken in but the combination of a high end SRAM chain and Casette caused me tons of anger and frustration. Chain broke twice in 2 different places and Casette never would work right paired with x7 derailleur and shifters. Switched to an LX chain and casette and everything is perfect. PURE JUNK, cant believe they even sell that CRAP.

Favorite Trail:   Claremont Wilderness

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   LX

Bike Setup:   Trek, marzocchi mx pro, RaceFace cranks tons of goodies

Submitted by mtbman007 a Cross Country Rider from Williams Bay, WI

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2008

Strengths:    price

Weaknesses:    wears quickly, very flimsy construction

Bottom Line:
I would say that you are very lucky if you get over 500 miles out of one of these. On my last ride, I noticed a new noise after a few miles. I suspected it was the cassette, but didn't stop because the skeeters were so thick. When I got back to the trailhead I took a look at it; several of the rings were actually loose even though the lockring was tight! I took it all apart and cleaned it, put it back together, and it appeared to be OK, but it looked as if some of the sprockets are bent or warped in some way. I really don't like the plastic spacers between the rings. Wish me luck on my next ride, I ordered a new Shimano, but will have to make this work until I receive the new one.
This is the second sram cassette that gave me problems. I am an ex-mechanic, and take meticulous care of my bikes. There's no excuse for this, sram. I'll be purchasing Shimano cassettes from now on. I have to admit though that sram shifters and derailleurs are top notch and will continue to use them. I'm just disappointed that the cassettes suck so bad. I doubt that the 990 is that much better. I would be reluctant to buy one of their cranksets as well.
Two chilis for value since the price was right, one chili overall because of the poor quality.