SRAM PG-950 Cassette

2.67/5 (15 Reviews)

Tremendous value!The 950 cassette is available inTooth rangesTo suit both 9sp MTBs or road bikes. PowerglideTechnology ensures smooth shifting up and downThe gear range. claimed 372 grams includes lockring fits SRAM orShimano andShimano-compatible 8/9/10sp freehub bodies (Virtually all modern wheels)

Submitted by františek a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2012

Strengths:    good and smooth shifting, light, comes in one piece

Weaknesses:    actually I bought the pc950 with this, cause it would fit good together. But actally after 1,5 years I realized, that the chain still is in good shape, but the cassette is over ... Better go to the shimano products ...

Bottom Line:
a waste on material an money, cause the life time is not given and the price is still comparatively high. still the chain pc950 seems a relative good buy / value ...

Duration Product Used:   1,5 years

Purchased At:   bike 24.de

Bike Setup:   ghost se 3001

Submitted by Herger a Weekend Warrior from Willmar, MN USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2011

Strengths:    Not sure on this. It certainly didn't surprise me with any hidden talents.

Weaknesses:    Structural.

Bottom Line:
30 minutes ago I bent the 28T cog doing a backhop. I'm 6'0" and 180 pounds, fairly light on my feet/bike and have just started trials/street trials. In my opinion, this cassette is not suited for trials/street trials as too much metal has been removed from the cogs to appease the weight weenie gods. The trade off is that the broken bike gods are no longer happy.

I gave 3's because the type of riding I'm doing with it puts more stress on the cassette than even steep CC climbs so it doesn't deserve a 1 or 2. Probably more a problem with Giant spec'ing it on this particular bike rather than a SRAM component problem.

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   XT and XTR

Bike Setup:   2009 STP Zero with 36T front chainring

Submitted by angel4finance a Weekend Warrior from manteca, ca, san joaquin

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Strengths:    Light Wieght, Price

Weaknesses:    Not heavy duty enough for larger person up hill.

Bottom Line:
The Casssette came stock on my 08 Trek 6000. After a few rides up hill, my chain started Skipping. I have broke 2 chains in 3 months and the 2nd and third smallest cogs have broken teeth. I am 6'0" 275 lbs so i dont know if it just isn't cut out for my size, but any shifting uphill thrashes this thing. I'm going to try the Shimano Deore XT becouse iv'e been told it's more heavy duty. this cassette might work fine for a stock cassette if you are not as big as me, but it has not done well for me at all.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere down hill

Similar Products Used:   trek 6000 my first real MTB.

Bike Setup:   08 Trek 6000, avid bb7 breaks, otherwise stock

Submitted by zach.scofield a Weekend Warrior from Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    shifts good when it stays together.

Weaknesses:    comes apart to easily and the aluminum is weak.

Bottom Line:
The cassette shifts good when its new. I have been riding this cassette for a little over 2 months and a couple weeks ago I started hearing a snapping sound coming from my bike. Initially I thought it was loose pivots but it wasnt. Then thought it might be my rear wheel but after a truing and inspection ruled that out. When removing the cassette I noticed that I coould rotate the cassette by hand about a quater turn. Looking at it further I noticed the aluminum around the grooves for the carrier was distorting. Im not real impressed w/ the aluminum used for this item. Sending it back for warranty. I will try the new one when it comes back and see how that lasts. wish I had been able to give a better review. Hopefully the new one will last longer. I'll give 3 chilis for value and 3 for overall. Hopefully the new one performs much longer.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere there is dirt

Purchased At:   Viking ski shop

Similar Products Used:   pg 970, hg50, xt 750

Bike Setup:   05 trance w/ lx/xt and tons of upgrades

Submitted by Tuifu a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2008

Strengths:    Shifts OK. By removing the long thin bolt connecting cogs 1-6 the cassette can be completely dismantled for thorough cleaning.

Weaknesses:    The long thin bolt tends to undo, so unless you have a plastic spoke guard disk the bolt will unthread and drop out somewhere. It's no disaster but it's a pain.

Bottom Line:
Seems fine as a cassette, at least equivalent to a Deore. Shifts well, especially with SRAM chain. I'd be happy to buy another. The opportunity to deep clean is nice but balanced by the likelihood of losing the connecting bolt. If buying a new one, get a very small hex key and tighten that bolt!

Favorite Trail:   Follow The Dog

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore

Bike Setup:   Olypmus XT. XT drivetrain. Deore hydro brakes. Rockshox SID forks.

Submitted by chris a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, australia

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2008

Strengths:    strong, durable, looks good, ramped well.

Weaknesses:    tiny, tiny bit wobbly on the hub.

Bottom Line:
very good. i have been informed that the only difference between this and the sram pg-970 is that the cutouts are bigger on the 970 cogs to save weight and that it has a different coloured lockring. feels the same as a 970 and costs less. very good for the money. comes on $3500 Giant dualies so it must be doing something right.

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Similar Products Used:   pg-970

Bike Setup:   xc hardtail

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Simi Valley Ca

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2007

Strengths:    Never slipped on me. Never misshifted or jumped.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
If you use a good derailleur with this cassette you won't be dissappointed.

Bike Setup:   raliegh xt 3500

Submitted by Chris Pase a Cross Country Rider from Box Hill, Vic, Aus

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2007

Strengths:    Works well, granny gear, strong and lasts well

Weaknesses:    weight, no alloy spider (on the up market Sram cassetes)makes it less stiff

Bottom Line:
Works exceptionally for the price. No faults after a years use. Buy it if you cant afford better but still use it heavily.

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield

Purchased At:   Lawrencia Cycles with Bike

Similar Products Used:   Deore Xt, sram pg-990

Bike Setup:   XC hardtail with xt derailleurs this cassete and truvativ fiveD cranks.

Submitted by Corstian Devos a Cross Country Rider from Phialdelphia

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    It works. Came stock on my Glory Freeride. I am 6'3" 250 lbs. I ride hard and like to climb. This cassette has held up under everything I have piled on it. I like the 34t granny.

Weaknesses:    None come to mind.

Bottom Line:
It works. In my opinion no better or worse than anything else I have used. If you can get it for a good price then I say use it.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail is a good trail

Purchased At:   Cycle Sonic

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, XT, XTR cassettes. Sram 850 cassette.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2007 Giant Glory Freeride with the following: peddles SH M540, seat Fizik Atlas, grips Oury DH, and replaced stock 2.5 Kenda tires with WTB Tyrannoraptor back (Yes I have a few of these old tires around) and Conti Double Fighter front.

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Sherwood, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2007

Strengths:    Solid and stiff with little latteral flex

Weaknesses:    Broke 4 teeth off gears 4-6 in a matter of 3 months. Went through a chain every 150-200 miles for 800miles (Various 9spd Shimano chains) Does not hold up under strenious up-hill shifting (down or up). I've had cheap Wal-mart bike's that never broke a chain or tooth.

Bottom Line:
Cheap pos worth upgrading if you put any load on it while shifiting. If you think the chain is the problem, think again.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT 750, soild so far after 400miles.

Bike Setup:   05' Cannondale F400. Avid BB7 front disc

Submitted by JP Taberdo a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2006

Strengths:    Works. Seems to shift well.

Weaknesses:    Feels heavy. But I'm sure there's only a few grams difference between cassettes in this price range.

Bottom Line:
No problems with it so far, and I have done about 1000kms of dirt road touring on it.. So it seems to be able to take the extra weight when climbing lotsa hills. I'd consider an upgrade to the 970 or something when this one wears out though. It came stock. I docked it a chilli cos I wouldn't say its 'outstanding'.

Favorite Trail:   The flames of mount buggary!

Purchased At:   Brisbane Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   First time i checked!

Bike Setup:   Its on the hub of my rear wheel. Although last night I took it off. But then I put it back in the same place about half and hour later. It was fun!

Submitted by Dan from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
Cassettes don't have internal bearings. If something is wobbling, it's your hub.

Submitted by Sweathog a Cross Country Rider from Florida, Brazil

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap (I paid so much because of unfavorable dollar exchange rate), strong

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I just want to confirm the chain compatibility problem, it´s a good thing I saw the other review. My cassette, purchased in 05, must be an 04; it was horrible with a brand new SRAM chain, now is just fine with a Shimano chain (Deore HG 53). Excellent value at US prices, but I knocked it down a chili because I had to buy another new chain.

Favorite Trail:   canefields

Purchased At:   Brazil

Similar Products Used:   SRAM

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS, all drive components now Shimano

Submitted by Robert Sears a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham, WA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2005

Strengths:    Strong cogs, shifts smooth even under pressure.

Weaknesses:    Internal berrings are weak. I have worn out 2 in 9 months.

Bottom Line:
Avoid this one unless you are a light weight or don't ride much. This was the stock cassette on my 04 Haro X2. The first one failed in less than 3 months (berrings shot, cassette wobbleing) I got it replaced under warenty. The second one lasted almost 6 months, same failure mode. (berrings shot, cassette wobbleing)

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Haro Extreme X2

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from Garden City, MI

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, reliable, doesn't seem to wear much

Weaknesses:    heavy, chain compatibility (I'll explain below)

Bottom Line:
Overall, it's been a great cassette. I've been beating the crap out of it for 6 months and haven't managed to bend, chip, or in any other way screw up any of the cogs (which is reasonably notable for me...). It's a bit heavy, but I'm over that. Now, here's the interesting part. The 2004 version of this, despite what is advertised, is only compatible with Shimano chains. I had to replace the OEM chain, so I put on a Sram chain (it's a Sram cassette, so it'd seem logical, right?) only to have all sorts of shifting problems and ridiculous amounts of noise. I did some investigating and finally found Sram's dealer technical publications, which listed chain compatibility as being only Shimano for this cassette (it used to be on Sram's website, but the link now leads to the 2005 technical publications). So, I put a Shimano HG-93 chain on it, and it's been great ever since. According to the 2005 technical publications, the compatibility is now Sram, but if you find a 2004 version, beware of that.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with this cassette, but I am going to knock a point off for the compatibility thing and the weight. If you need a cassette on the cheap, however, consider this.

Favorite Trail:   yes

Purchased At:   came on bike

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed 3.0 hardtail with other goodies...