SRAM PG-830 Cassette Cassette

2.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Two cassettes enter, one cassette leaves as the evolutionary XX 10-Speed cassette takes center stage with its incredibly lightweight status.

Submitted by aclsn a Cross Country Rider from Plympton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2012

Strengths:    It is a casette. . . I guess

Weaknesses:    Teeth on lower gears braek off after about 5 rides (100 miles or less)

Bottom Line:
Do not waste your money. I rode one of these casetts for about 70 miles then 3+ teeth broke off, so I took it back to the bike shop where I got it and they got sram to replace it for free, Now after other 100 miles two teeth broke off the third gear. I even checked with a gague to see if the chain was worn and it was not. Mabey I can get another free replacement because I'm not buying another sram casette. (If I could give it a zero on the rating I would)

Submitted by pipexp a Cross Country Rider from Temuco, Chile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight to price

Bottom Line:
i used in all conditions, wet terrains, mud, loose, rain, and works good, light (320 gr. 11-32), good rolling.

Submitted by Bruce a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa, Ca. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2008

Strengths:    Looks shiny

Weaknesses:    After today, I'd say the 3rd cog.

Bottom Line:
Please do not waste the time and money required to experience the unmitigated displeasure that I have with this sort of component failure by lowering yourself as to purchasing this Wal-Mart grade cassette. It will break. Mine broke after a dozen mild rides. I have shimano cassettes from the 80's that are still servicable (and not too worn). My mistake for buying crud.

Favorite Trail:   Cobblestone

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   shimano hyperglide jazz

Bike Setup:   Specialized P2 with all the goodies, except this cassette.

Submitted by Daniel A a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    Shifting is very smooth and fast. I like the ratio from one gear to the next better than the ones on the 9 speeds. I got exactly the gears i need. Perfect setup.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I had a 9 speed on my old bike and even though I wasn't so sure about the 8-speed setup on my new bike I came to enjoy it a lot. I especially love the ratios the way they are set up. The gears pop in very fast without fuss. Especially out on the technical trail it is a real bonus. If this set should fail however i'd probably go with the PG-850 next time.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Came with the Bike

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper 08

Submitted by Tremblay Jean-Michel a Cross Country Rider from Montréal

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2007

Strengths:    cheap,but i don't think it's even worth the 30$ you have to pay for

Weaknesses:    a feather is stronger than that. I mean i'm 145 pounds and i used the cassette FOUR (4 - quatro) days before one of the sprockets gave up, I used it downtown, maybe for 150 km, no big ridding, no jump, no downhill, no trails....

Bottom Line:
I really suggest you to pay 20$ more to get a cassette that will last you and is reliable. This cassette is only to put on the bike to say it's in working condition and ride in the park on Sundays. I really don't think the upgrade to a reliable cassette is expensive enough to buy this crap

Favorite Trail:   cross country