SRAM 9.0™ Powerglide II™ Cassette Cassette

2.96/5 (25 Reviews)
Weight : N/A

• Simple design: lightweight, efficient, stiff componentry
  • Durable construction: composite spider, high-quality steel cogs, durable heat treatment
  • Optimized performance: excellent SRAM Power Chain™ match, great performance on many other chains
  • 9-speed, 11-32 & 11-34 options

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Helena, MT

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
    I used this cog for a long time with no issues riding around town and doing relatively flat more technical riding. As soon as I started doing riding with hard climbs I destroyed the teeth in about 2 weeks. At this point I can no longer use my bike until I replace the set. I am definetly shopping around for a different product.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge Trail

Submitted by Ryan Simmons a Downhiller from Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2006

Strengths:    It's SRAM and not Shimano. Relatively light.

Weaknesses:    I have to say that I had high hopes for this cassette. I dropped Shimano with the introduction of their dual-control junk and upgrading all my bikes to SRAM 9.0. I just built up a new Titus and had one XC ride on the cassette and have already managed to bend the second from the largest cog. I have no idea how this could have happened as I was riding in Fruita and there are really no hard climbs down there. It looks as if perhaps the plastic center somehow failed. Fortunately I have an older X-7 cassette and was able to swap it out.

Bottom Line:
    After reading some of the other posts on here about this cassette I guess I'm not the only one having problems. All the other X-9 components I've run have worked really well so I'm not certain why SRAM released this cassette on the public. I'm still not going back to Shimano as of yet, so SRAM better have stepped it up with the new aluminum body cassette this year. Although SRAM needs to refund my $$$$ for this POC.

Favorite Trail:   Right now-anything that's dry.

Purchased At:   BTI

Similar Products Used:   SRAM X-7 on a down hill bike with absolutely no problems. Shimano XT.

Bike Setup:   '06 Titus Moto-Lite with Sun SUV's.

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Westchester

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2005

Strengths:    Shifts smoothly

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    I usually have used Shimano cassettes on my bikes. This is my main bike, which I try to ride about three limes a week. Whenever I put a new (Shimano) cassette on, it shifts pretty well for a while, and eventually gets kind of crappy. Last time I tried to resolve the situation by replacing the shifters (which were about two years old, the rear derailleur (same), and the shifter cables with those fancy chrome looking ones from Germany (can't remember name). Bike shifted well for awhile. I had a crappy old hardtail that I had upgraded from top to bottom. It has all SRAM drivetrain and always shifts beautifully. I installed everything myself without difficulty.

I was getting this weird knocking noise from the rear wheel on the Kona after I put on the Crossmax XLs. I figured that I needed a spacer to go next to the XT cassette I had on the bike. When I took the cassette to put on the spacer, the cassette fell apart all over the floor. I was in a hurry to get out and ride, so I took the cassette off my hardtail.

My Kona has never shifted so well. This cassette is already a year old. I don't expect any problems. I think it was more expensive than LX but cheaper than XT.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX and XT

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg, BETD linkage, Crossmax XLs, RP3, Sherman Firefly, FSA DH pro headset, HFX mags with BONZ one finger triggers, Hutchinson Bulldogs UST tires, XT drivetrain

Submitted by G-child a Weekend Warrior from Butte, MT USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Strengths:    34 tooth cog helps you get up steep hills with ease. The 9.0 looks sharp.

Weaknesses:    DURABILITY! Two 9.0 cassettes have broken on me in the past year. I do not ride that much either.

Bottom Line:
    Never buy a 9.0 cassette. I have broken two in the past year under normal pedaling up a hill. The first time, my 34 and 28t rings bent going up a routine hill. I thought that hey, maybe it was my fault and the cassette got dinged up during transport and this caused them to bend. So I replaced it with another 9.0 34t from the LBS. 4 months later, the 28t ring cracked and half broke off duing another routine climb. Sram is going to hear about this. I will go back to running Shimano cassettes from now on. I have been extremely happy with the X.0 derailer and shifters, however. Their cassettes just suck. If I could give 0 chillis, I would.

Favorite Trail:   Slab Ride

Purchased At:   LBS and Greenfish Sports

Similar Products Used:   Shimano cassettes

Bike Setup:   Homegrown HT, with Sram X.0, XT cranks, SID, Mavic, Raceface Deus Stem, etc.

Submitted by MrXC a Cross Country Rider from Washington, DC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2004

Strengths:    Shifts well. Gear rations

Weaknesses:    Big cog not durable, bends easily.

Bottom Line:
    After a few years on XT cassettes and SRAM chains I decided to give the SRAM 9.0 cassette a shot. I was pleased with the shifting and actually liked having the 8 smaller cogs closely spaced with a big jump to a largest cog. However, like some other reviewers have experienced, my big cog bent this past weekend after not much use. A very small twig got caught in my derailleur, I pedalled 2 more strokes and by the time I stopped the big cog was bent big time. I had to finish the ride with the equivelent of a 7 spd road cassette! I bent it back so I could ride the next day and it worked ok, but still skipped a little in the 2 largest cogs.

Long story short: If a tiny twig can bend the big cog easily this isn't a part I'd trust during an epic ride. I guess SRAM can't win them all.

Favorite Trail:   GWNF, VA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   2000 Voodoo Bizango

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2004

Strengths:    Light, fairly durable

Weaknesses:    Poor QC from factory

Bottom Line:
    I was building up a new C-dale Cross 1000 last night, and out of the box I noticed the rear cassette slipping on the freehub. It turned out that the SRAM PG-970's lockring had stripped (very light and cheap-feeling alloy) and therefore the cassette wasn't tight on the freehub. I am not knocking the quality of this cassette (I have had quality shifts with another mounted on a C-dale Scalpel) but if you buy a bike with this cassette installed, have the shop check the tightness of the lockring for you-if it works loose on the trail, you may be walking home! Most cassettes have a more substantial lockring than this one-not sure why they went with such a lightweight alloy on a part that is designed to be torqued to 40 N*m, which is alot of force (for comparison, the average high-performance stem's HB clamp is only designed to be tightened to 8-10 N*m).

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie

Similar Products Used:   XT/XTR cassettes, Campy Chourus (gold standard!)

Submitted by Freddie a Cross Country Rider from Harbor City, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2004

Strengths:    Clean, crisp shifting and quiet running. The backside of the cassette (closest to the spokes) is smooth so if by chance your chain overshifts off of the biggest cog, it won't get wedged between the cassette and spokes, ala XTR or XT.

Weaknesses:    None for the 11-32 cassette, haven't tried the 11-34.

Bottom Line:
    Works great! Definitely quicker shifting than the LX cassette that came with the bike and just plain better than XT cassettes I've used. For some reason I've had issues with the two XT cassettes I've used on my Fuel (eg. noisy on some cogs, skipping problems, even a "rough feel" felt through the pedals on the second to biggest cog on one of 'em). And yes I DO know how to tune my derailleurs and always use a new chain when replacing a cassette.

I started out with an XTR chain and most recently switched to a SRAM PC 99 chain (I replace my chains when my Park chain checker reads .75 of stretch) and both work just fine. I expect to get at least one to two more chains on this cassette. Go for it!

Favorite Trail:   Sullivan Canyon/ Backbone loop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX and XT

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel with XT shift pods, XTR rear derailleur, and SRAM PC 99 chain.

Submitted by Loehr Young a Cross Country Rider from Athens, GA. USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    Looks to be a solid cassette, it is SRAM!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    After reading up on this I got the 11-32. So far it works great, just as good as the simano stuff I've always used. Don't know about durability yet but I'm sure it will be o.k.

Purchased At:   Greenfish Sports

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR.

Bike Setup:   GT I-Drive 1.0, Psylo SL, X-Max, All SRAM, Stylo Team.

Submitted by Neil from Vermont

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth shifting, light, pretty

Weaknesses:    I guess it is weak - at least this one.

Bottom Line:
    I've owned two of these now, this being my second, and I've had it <12 rides. The big (34T) ring on this literally expoded on me yesterday, necessitating a trip back to the car for pliers, brute surgery to continue ride (in a max. 28T ring on hills no less), and now, $50 for a new cluster. I think the 34 sticks up too high w/out reinforcement from teh spider, and is not able to withstand the forces on it. The old one was a 32T...much more stable - and it lasted the drivetrain. Oh well.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bristol

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Strengths:    Bah

Weaknesses:    Bent rings right out of box. SRAM chain (PC-99) rubbbed like mad in 1,2,3 big gears, ghost shift, dropping up/down in the three big rings, IN THE STAND. Checked it out before first test ride and BENT RINGS!! 2nd biggest ring was WORST. Bent with pliers as good as I could. Well, it seems ok now, don't know about durabilty yet.
    Most likely will NOT buy SRAM cassette again. BUT I love the PC-99 chains, makes drivetrain maintenance SO EASY with the gold pwer-link. SRAM chains work FINE with Shimano cassettes.

Bottom Line:
    Avoid this cassette, and probably the whole SRAM line of cassettes Spend a little more get XT. XTR is too expensive with almost NO weight advantage anyway.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT. LX

Submitted by james campbell from encino

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Strengths:    good quality, shifts nicely

Weaknesses:    Too large of gear change between 1st & 2nd gear

Bottom Line:
    The MAJOR problem with this cassette is that the largest cog is a 34 (something I wanted because I pull a trailer) but the next cog down is a 28! For my application, many times, a 28 is too little and a 34 is too big. I can't imange what SRAM was thinking by skipping 6 teeth between cogs. Shimino uses a 34, 30, 28 ...etc. This makes so much more sence. Although I like SRAM products I gona have to sell this and upgrade to a Shimino 9 speed. Any takers? It's got less than 30 miles on it. You can have it for $35.00.

Favorite Trail:   So many trials..so little time

Purchased At:   45

Similar Products Used:   Shimino

Bike Setup:   Litespeed obed setup to pull BOB trailer

Submitted by Andrew a Downhiller from metropolis

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Strengths:    swift shifting, easy maintenence, dont skip, i say its durable

Weaknesses:    nuttin

Bottom Line:
    this is a tight cassette, put it this way, i had an xtr cassette for about 7 months and had problems like every 2 weeks it either was the lock ring or the dented rings. i had this 9.0 cassette for about 5,4 weeks now and not one single problem at all, i keep it well cleaned check for any dents or summtin stupid like that and so far the thing is 100% perfect. This is the s**t i aint gonna go for 9.0 shifters but i am gonna buy 9.0 sl derailleur. 4 on the overall cuz it was kinda expensive.

Favorite Trail:   devils cliff

Purchased At:   JensonUsa

Similar Products Used:   xtr, deore

Bike Setup:   schwinn moab s30 special edition, boxxer, xtr/9.0, raceface, azonic, T.H.E.

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Buckley, Wa usa

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Strengths:    Crisp gear changes throughout cogs.

Weaknesses:    Wears quickly. The biggest 4 cogs develop chain skip. These were where I did alot of my riding using these cogs.

Bottom Line:
    It works great for awhile but really is less durable than the other cassettes I mentioned above. I had to replace it at the 6 month mark. I won't bother getting another due to this. 7.0 is my favorite. I use them exclusively. Last twice as long. I see Rob the previous reviewer experienced the same thing I did. I'm not a racer but I ride often and on trails that are technical as well as have alot of climbing. I'm also 220 and push them gears pretty hard. Maybe if you are a light weight, light push'n biker you'll be fine.

Favorite Trail:   Below Her navel.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   7.0 more durable. 5.0 8 speed more durable. Lx more durable.

Bike Setup:   Weyless noodle 67, Specialized HT Expert, Specialized Expedition with many upgrades to make it on the trail regularly.

Submitted by Rob a Racer from Orlando FL

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    Light thanks to partial use of alloy spider. Inexpensive compared to Shimano's top of the line equivilent.

Weaknesses:    Wears quickly.

Bottom Line:
    I have been using this for the fall race season and it has performed well through the first 5 races. I clean the drive train after every event or practice to ensure clean shifts. Though now, I am starting to notice wear in the 3 biggest cogs. If I stand and hammer on a climb, I can produce a skip in those 3. This is a less expensive and light alternative to the offering by Shimano, but be warned; it will wear fast.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback