Shimano XTR Cogset Cassette

3.79/5 (107 Reviews)

Shimano XTR Cogset

Submitted by dark rider a Weekend Warrior from brussels, belgium

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2004

Strengths:    strength, weight, shifts well in all weather conditions

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
still as new after heavy abuse ( lots of crashes on dirttrails, hitting rocks,...)
one of the parts that I would never change for any other brand

Favorite Trail:   secret

Similar Products Used:   shimano deore

Bike Setup:   Evil Bikes Imperial frame, marzochi Z1 Freeride

Submitted by Scott from Menlo Park, CA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2004

Strengths:    Pretty damn light, Looks nice

Weaknesses:    4th cog bent out sometime during a ride (only 6mo winter use).

Bottom Line:
My XT cassette has been working really well with the XTR setup.
My LBS tried to send it in to Shimano, but Shimano sent it back, said " you got to easy on the shifting." What the ....? That pisses me off. Oh well, I like the new XTR cranks. The cassette is pretty much an expensive paper weight. I guess I will try to bend it back.

Similar Products Used:   Always been an XT guy. Maybe I should try Sram?

Bike Setup:   SC Blur (it is really nice). I bought it used and it came with mostly XTR.

Submitted by patrick a Cross Country Rider from Fresno CA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, Shimano product,

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I chose to go with this cogset due to reviews about lighting fast shifting, I was a bit concerned about other reviews I've read saying the product might not be durable, I've had no problems so far. Good product to shed some wieght, durable. I'm 190 and it withstood my first race, no problems shifting, I feel it was the icing on the cake in terms of my shifting/drive train.

PEACE

Purchased At:   Steven's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   XT other Shimano stuff

Bike Setup:   EPic all XT/XTR

Submitted by Nitish Nag a Cross Country Rider from Fremont, CA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2003

Strengths:    awesome weight, great durability, nice looks, titanium kujos, shifts beutifully.

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
This is the best cogset i have had. going against the other reviews, this cogset has great durablility. Shifting is lightning fast with the complete 04 Setup. Nice job shimano but maybe the way people ride the things makes a difference in the durability. I am 130 and I ride relatively light in terms of stlye. Or they could have consistency problems.

Purchased At:   Phat Tire

Similar Products Used:   Deore XT, Deore LX,

Bike Setup:   2003 Santa Cruz Blur, 04 XTR, 5th Element Air, Easton Carbon Cockpit, Thompson Stem, Python Air Lights, Mavic 317's, Eggbeater SS, Stans NoTubes.

Submitted by Fritz a Racer from Sparks, NV

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Strengths:    Great shifting performance, light weight.

Weaknesses:    The titanium cogs bend easily, high cost.

Bottom Line:
Stick with steel cogs, titanium is too soft to withstand heavy use. Having your chain skipping across gears gets annoying as h*** on a long climb. So unless you're sponsored and can get a new cassette given to you every other week the XT cassette is a much better value. It's one third the price and lasts forever.

Purchased At:   came on new bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, XTR/SRAM combo

Submitted by KelCov a Cross Country Rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Strengths:    Looks good and love the gearin' on that Beatch.

Weaknesses:    Hard to clean with all those milk and cranys to dig into.

Bottom Line:
I refused to buy the Ti edition because I ride pretty hard and I not much of a weight weenie'. Some parts you should try to shave off some weight, Cogs are not one of them.

Favorite Trail:   Open Ones

Purchased At:   A brooklyn shop in Pk. Slope

Similar Products Used:   all of the Shamano cogsets

Bike Setup:   a tough ass salad of good parts.

Submitted by Buff a Cross Country Rider from Elkridge, MD

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Strengths:    Light, Looked really cool when it came out in 1996, Aluminum lockring fits other shimano cassettes

Weaknesses:    Titanium rings bend so you can't even hand cassette down to your beater bike

Bottom Line:
Rode cassette for 6 months on hardtail and bent the ti-cogs (the 4th biggest cog got on my nerves the most--nothing worse than a ghost shifting power gear). I used to bend them back after every ride by prying them over with a cone wrench (cone wrench just skinny enough to get between cogs). Replaced with XTR-8 steel and XT-8 and no bending. Tried another new one on a 4" rear travel bike thinking I wouldn't torque it so hard. I was right, I't didn't bend for a year. Now it's impossible to find any XT-8 that aren't 11-28, so if you want 11-30 or 11-32 in 8sp then jump on SRAM 5.0 if Nashbar's still got em (a bit heavier but who cares when you're a retro grouch who was only crazy enough to shell out for XTR group once in a lifetime). Seems to me Shimano could avoid the ti cog bending if the aluminum spider had 5 arms instead of 4--do the XTR-9 have 5 arm spiders?

Favorite Trail:   Avalon

Purchased At:   wherever

Similar Products Used:   XT-8, XTR-8 Steel, SRAM 5.0

Bike Setup:   94 S Works, 00 Z4 Air, 1996 XTR

Submitted by Fatman a Cross Country Rider from Feldafing

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Strengths:    Lite, reliable smooth shifting, holds out

Weaknesses:    expensive, but worth the extra money, and some of it is titanium, so the price seems justified.

Bottom Line:
Very good cassette. I am 260 lbs, at times, and when I get going, there should be much strain on the drivetrain. The only thing I do for maintainance is to change the chain frequently (2 times a year), and I have used only Shimano's HG90 and the Rohloff STL 99 eight (aaahhhh!!, what a chain). I really can't imagine how you can really bend or brake this thing. But I am used to keep strict shifting discipline, i.e. I never shift under heavy torque and I don't care for oblique chain lines. I am very satified with this product.

Purchased At:   Rabe Munich

Similar Products Used:   XTR steel eight, XT eight, LX eight

Bike Setup:   Trek 9900 Pro Issue 1998, full XTR 98 eight ...

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2003

Strengths:    Light, crisp shifting, fairly easy to clean

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Very happy with the 12-34 cassette and have had 0 problems. I ride about 1300 trail miles a year (wish it were more) so I think I put it to good use. The design allows for easy cleaning and maintenance which I performed every couple rides (less since I started using ICE Wax).

After the XTR started showing some wear, I a SRAM 9.0 cassette to save about $25. I ended up bending the 34 cog on the SRAM which is what people complain about the XTR here on the board. Well, since I don't want to stop riding I purchased another XTR cassette.

Bottom line, if you have the bucks, want crisp shifting, performe routine maintenance, and don't beat on your bike, then buy the XTR. Otherwise I would suggest going with the XT since it holds up and shifts reliably.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 9.0, 7.0, XT

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll, Mavic/King, Raceface ISIS Next LP, XTR, Hayes Hyd.

Submitted by rafi julius a Cross Country Rider from JERUSALEM

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2003

Strengths:    this review is for the xtr 8 ti 11 - 30 cassette:
amazing cassette: shifts great,very light, and after 1 year of abuse (12K ofroad) looks like new. theath selection of 11-30 is the best for a reasonblly strong xc rider.

Weaknesses:    i bought new in the box from a cyclist that did'nt know what he was selling and got it real cheap. in shop its rather expensive.

Bottom Line:
probablly the best 8 speed cassette (i find 12-32 cassette rather sealy gears selection)

Purchased At:   another cyclist

Similar Products Used:   xt 8, sram 5.0

Bike Setup:   trek stp xt\xtr 8 speed , avid sd ultimate, crossmax notubes converted, mars elite

Submitted by Mike B. a Weekend Warrior from L.A. Cal.

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    excellent ratios; seems very strong

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
This is for the 8-speed model.
As far as I know, this set is all stainless steel ( it was advertised that way ). It was on close-out at Jenson so I figured is was an older unit.
Anyway, in the brief time I've used it, it has performed flawlessly. I probably could use a 34-tooth low gear, but otherwise, the ratios are spot-on. And the shifting is superb ( unless I go through water ). The cassette feels very strong and solid, and I like the "spider" type of frame to hold the rings.
I have had it through horrible mud, water, up and down steep hills, and nothing has tripped it up. I only hope that it is NOT titanium ( it felt pretty heavy ) because I'm pretty hard on my gear.

Five flamers so far.

Favorite Trail:   LA River

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX 8-speed

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M50

Submitted by Nick Ong a Cross Country Rider from Melawati, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Strengths:    Light, 9-speed

Weaknesses:    Ti 8th and 9th cogs too delicate....

Bottom Line:
i decided to join the 9-speed masses last year. after years of trouble free rides with my 8speed xtr cogs, the 9speed 2002 xtr's looked like a good choice. big mistake! the 8th and 9th rings bent outwards after 6 months of riding (bent while shifting, climbing out of the saddle). my LBS changed the whole set for a 2003 (XTR again) set and within 2 rides, the same thing happened!
do people actually race with this untested fragile equipment? go for xt or sram.. they're tougher.

Favorite Trail:   jungles

Similar Products Used:   8 speed xtr from 1998

Bike Setup:   all-black cannondale f2000, mavic tubeless, sram x.0 RD, sram hydraulic discs

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Calabasas, CA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Strengths:    Light Weight, Precise Shifting

Weaknesses:    Cost, and durability

Bottom Line:
My 8 (12/32) speed has performed well throught the years, but the thin titanium teeth will eventually bend. I've
replaced my recently after three years of use. Overall
a very good cogset the shifts perfectly. Just expect to replace it every couple of years of hard riding.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   XT

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X

Submitted by Steve a Racer from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Not very durable.

Bottom Line:
I really liked this cassette at first as it shifted very smooth and was light. During a long practice ride, my bike wouldn't stay in gear no matter what. When tuning the barrel adjuster did nothing, I checked my cassette only to see that the teeth on the third largest ring were bent. Three teeth were bent inward, two teeth were bent outward. This stunk because now, I couldn't use the second or fourth rings either. Bottom line is that I went back to my XT cassette as it NEVER gave me any trouble. This is really unacceptable when you consider how much this thing costs. Do yourself a favor and use the XT or SRAM cassette.