Shimano XT M760 Cassette Cassette

3.17/5 (30 Reviews)

Mega-9: Wide range 9-speed gearing with close ratio intervals for greater pedaling efficiency. HG Design: 9-speed specific HG sprockets for fast and positive shifting response. 264g.

Submitted by eran a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2010

Strengths:    good

Bottom Line:
after 13,000 on it, still running like new.
i'm wax the chain after each ride and replace it when needed (~5,000 km)

Favorite Trail:   XC + AM

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   non

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by bobbob a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Strengths:    Great value compared to XTR. Light, shifts well. Lasts okay so long as you replace chains when required.

Weaknesses:    Hard to believe all the complaints I read and not think that some other variable is at play with regard to their problems.

Bottom Line:
Install with a new chain. Adjust deraileur correctly. Clean regularly. Do not force it if something feels amiss.

Favorite Trail:   911 Nerang

Similar Products Used:   XTR, LX, Deore, Sunrace, SRAM

Bike Setup:   I have these XT cassettes on a rigid, hardtail and XC dualie

Submitted by smurf95 a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2008

Strengths:    changes smoothly

Weaknesses:    some times when you change down to first(the biggest)it jumps passed the biggest sprocket and gets stuck in the spokes, luckly it is easy to get it out... just keep pedling

Bottom Line:
its a great set of gears but they just need a bit of altering

Favorite Trail:   Top to Bottom Hesworth Common

Purchased At:   second hand

Bike Setup:   kona stinky 05, manitou stance forks, marzocchi roco rear damper, atomiclabatories wheel set

Submitted by supersleeper a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2008

Strengths:    Good weight, lasts long. Best value for money.

Bottom Line:
Best value for money. My first one 1 year old. No problems. Got another for a second wheelset. No problems. Cleans easily, clean shifts. Smooth. Strong. Get it. (In combo with a good deraillear and shifters)

Similar Products Used:   950, 970, alivio

Bike Setup:   Anthem. Reba team, XT front, X9 rear + shifters. Juicy 5

Submitted by Mutantclover a Cross Country Rider from Idaho

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2008

Strengths:    Shifts great, lightweight, stays clean inside better now that it uses the aluminum spider (which is really just a cosmetic plus)

Weaknesses:    Sometimes the chain jumps over the largest cog into the spokes (has only happened a couple times). The cassette has rivets to hold the large cog on the spider, and those rivets are not quite thick enough to keep the chain from going down past the cog, wedging awkwardly under my cassette (in a space that didn't exist until this spider design came out). Yet the rivets are the perfect thickness to hold the chain in there and give you a hell of a time trying to get the chain back out. When I say a hell of a time I mean 10 minutes of struggling and hoping you don't break the chain or cassette or your derailleur from all the pulling. But I have gotten it out each time with no damage. Shimano needs to make the rivets either thicker OR thinner to solve this problem! Personally I just don't shift into the first cog anymore, I find that at my slower than average cadence, 2nd gear is better in even the steepest climbs, because any slower and I'll be fighting to keep the bike pointed uphill. In other words I use only 8 speeds which is another problem, these should have different gearings available than just 11-32 or 11-34.

2nd problem is worse, somehow the 2nd smallest cog doesn't grip the chain. 7th and 9th work perfectly, but any significant power in 8th gear and the chain skips. It is a real PITA when riding to the trail head, it seems as though every stop sign I pull away from I'm in 8th gear unless and it skips like crazy. I don't know how it got this way, but I haven't been very hard on it nor is it very old.

It sounds as though the newer spiders have 5 arms and these haven't been bending the large cogs like the 4 arm spiders they were originally making. I also haven't had any trouble with it developing play, with approx 100 hours on the cassette.

Bottom Line:
I would buy it again. It seems although they aren't perfect they're still the best I've ever used (besides my ultegra which is flawless, but I think that's because medium cage road derailleurs give you better chain wrap).

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   ultegra 9 speed, deore hg-50, bmx freewheels.

Bike Setup:   hardtail 3x9, sram long cage rear derailleur and sram chain.

Submitted by Rome a Weekend Warrior from Yigo Guam

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2008

Strengths:    Light wieght, well built. Just looking at it copared to lower end cassettes and you can tell that there is qaulity built in to this cassette

Weaknesses:    My spoke protector would fit with this cassette. Yah some say spoke protectors are overrated, but have you ever had to pull your derailer out of your spokes ten miles from home. Yes that can be a long walk

Bottom Line:
I picked this cassette up on EBay, it was a package deal with an HG93 chain. I've rode my bike with this set up for two races. So far the performance has been flawless. Here in Guam there is not a lot of flat land and all the riding in up/down hill. Some of the people I race with use this same cassette and have had no issues. And in case you’re wondering I'm 180lbs and regularly tackle 5% and up grades on this bike. I'm not sure on the longevity yet, you know how that goes, you can have it heavy and last a long time, or you can make it light for racing and expect to replace it at least every season or sooner depended on how hard you ride. Light weight means it will fold up on you if you are a hard rider, most racers aren't. Bottom line: I like it; it works for me but may not work for you.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Tenjo, Channel 10 area

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Stock Sram casssette that came on the bike

Bike Setup:   '04 Fisher Marlin, stock with the following upgrades; LX M580 shifters, XT M770 front derailer, XT M770 crankset

Submitted by orangeoyster from sao paulo,brazil

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2008

Strengths:    lightweight

Weaknesses:    it developed play. probably it´s because its so lightweight - only 250g makes it weak. i´ll try the sram 990 this time - it has 290g....

Bottom Line:
i would not recomend this cassette. i like shimano crankset and chain, but this cassete is no good, unless you have extra $$ to replace your cassette onfently

Similar Products Used:   deore lx, pg 950 and 970

Submitted by Ognacy a Cross Country Rider from Warsaw

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2008

Strengths:    shifts well, looks good

Weaknesses:    developed play on the hub, damaging both

Bottom Line:
This is easily the worst casette I ever had. And I had quite a lot during my last 15 years of biking. After no more than a week or two of intense riding it developed considerable play on the freewheel. You could move the cogs clockwise and counterclockwise on the hub without dismounting the casette. Now, this is not something I'd expect from XT. The brand new, matching XT hub was damaged beyond repair as the casette mounting rails were all bruised by the casette. I appreciate XT/XTR shifting and all but their casettes have turned from very good to absolute crap in just a few years.

Purchased At:   local bike store

Similar Products Used:   full range of shimano, some sram

Bike Setup:   cannondale rush, xtr , avids, hugi

Submitted by Derick Thymes a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2007

Strengths:    Makes your ride alot better and easy

Weaknesses:    I have not had any

Bottom Line:
It is great and I so glad the I upgraded to it.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Bike Setup:   I have all shimano deore m760 xt componets. Front and rear derailleur, the cassette, brake/shifter combo and hollowtect crankset.

Submitted by Pathfinder from West Milford, NJ

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight. Looks great. Positive shifts even under load.

Weaknesses:    Upper cogs are weak.

Bottom Line:
Any side load on the larger cogs and they bend like tin foil. They can be straighted out, but not on the trail, so you better not need the top cogs to finish a ride. The first time it happened I didn't know what was wrong. The chain was skipping all over the place. I've heard that a lot of riders are opting for the 8 speed for the extra strength. If you like a good looking cassette, buy it. If you prefer reliability over looks, avoid it.

Similar Products Used:   Sram and other Shimano stuff over the years.

Bike Setup:   Cruz Super light XT drive train. Avid mechanical disc. Reba Race fork. Fox Float shock.

Submitted by Darell Dickey a Weekend Warrior from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to find, and very common

Weaknesses:    WEAK larger gears. I don't know if it is the fault of the 4-arm carrier, or the material of the gears. On the second ride of my new bike, I bent the second largest gear like it was butter. And was doing nothing more exciting than - you guessed it - changing gears. First time in 30 years of riding that I've ever bent a cassette gear, and I bent it GOOD. Yes, I can bend it back to *almost* where it should be, but what gives? This is the XT level? One from the top? Please. I just swapped it out with a SRAM 990, and the five arms and sturdier gears at least look like they'll stand up to far more miles. I honestly haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but here's hoping.

Bottom Line:
With my initial experience, I would not buy another one of these, and wouldn't recommend that others buy it either. I'm running SRAM chains now, so I might as well try out the cassette as well. I really can't imagine how Shimano is selling these things. When I hear others complain about big-name components that bend easily, etc. I usually just gloss over the review and move on. And here I am reporting the same thing that I really didn't believe. I've never bent ANY other cog set, and I only manged about 20 miles on this one before it flopped over on me. I thought I'd broken my derailleur when it happened. Just amazed the hell out of me, and crapped all over my ride.

Favorite Trail:   Any that I have time for and that I don't bleed from

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 990

Bike Setup:   http://darelldd.com/darell/voodoo.htm

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from land o lakes, fl, usa

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2006

Strengths:    I can replace it easily and quickly every time it bends or otherwise fails (I have gottn good at this thru repeated practice)

Weaknesses:    weak, weak, weak larger cogs; cost for quality is not a good deal

Bottom Line:
I have used xt 9 speed GARBAGE on my "good" rig since new in 1999. I have gone through 5 xt cassettes, with failures including a broken tooth on my very FIRST ride and bent larger cogs on every single one of these p.o.s. cassetes. The bendage usually occurs within the first 6 months of use. I have been successful at un-bending them in some cases, but that is very temporary.

Favorite Trail:   alafia river state park

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   1 lx 8 speed cog for the entire life of my #2 bike. 2-3 years of serious off-road use and 5-6 years of paved trail / neighborhood beater use

Bike Setup:   ti hardtail, marzocchi fork, truvativ cranks, bontrager race wheels with king hubs

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Acworth

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    quickly develops play on brand new Chris King free hub.

Bottom Line:
This review is for two, XT 760, 11-34 cassetts. I weigh about 215 with gear and ride mostly XC. I have been riding for about 10 years and have never put alot money or thought into cassetts, that is until I decided to switch from the 11-32 XT to the 11-34 XT. My 11-32 was a 750 model and I never had any trouble with it. The 11-34 XT 760's began developing play on the free wheel hubs after a few rides. I have used shims and done all I know to do but I cant keep this Cassett from moving on the King hubs. I had chain slipping issues as well but this all began after the looseness developed. I cant say for sure I bent any specific cogs but I can say for sure that this cassett will develop play, and for what reason, I dont know. Please feel free to pass along any information you have concerning this issue to me. I am going to accept the failures as cheaply made products under higher stress than designed until someone enlightens me.

Purchased At:   Jenson/Performance

Similar Products Used:   Lx, Xt

Bike Setup:   RX100, King Hubs, 719XM rims, RLT100, RP3, Thomson, XT, Avid SD SL, 959

Submitted by theman inthewoods a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2006

Strengths:    Light, good shifting. Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    This product is weak! Third lowest cog bent and warped on two separate cassettes in the same place!

Bottom Line:
I see that I'm not the first to have problems with this cassette bending and wearing fast. Some of those other riders mention that they are on the heavier side. Well I only weigh 160lbs, probably 175 with a camelback on and I have now bent two separate XT cassettes in the same place, both times within the first 50 miles on the cassette. I also find it funny that the same ring bent both times--the third lowest gear on an 11-32 cassette. In both cases the cog has bent toward the higher (smaller) cogs, and I don't mean one tooth. The entire arc from one attachment pin on the spider to the next was bent a few millimeters, causing it to not shift and worse. I climb ridiculously steep things sometimes, but come on! On the first cassette this happened to I actually was able to carefully hammer the bend out of the ring with a hammer and a screwdriver and it worked fine for the rest of the cassette's life. I'm going to try it on this one too. I'm slowly losing my faith in Shimano. I love the way the stuff shifts, but the parts that wear, like cassettes and chainrings, just don't last for *%$#. My middle XT chainring lasted literally 300 miles! And I clean my drivetrain religously and change all my drivetrain parts at the same time. I may try a SRAM cassette next time.

Favorite Trail:   Surveyor's Ridge

Purchased At:   QBP

Similar Products Used:   It's been a while, but I once had a cheap SRAM cassette.

Bike Setup:   tricked out Trek Fuel. Magura Marta SLs, XT/XTR drivetrain, Thomson Masterpiece seatpost, Race Face NEXT bar/Dues stem, King headset, King hubs homelaced to DT Swiss 4.1d rims.

Submitted by RaggedEdge from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2006

Strengths:    Shifts well when not bent.

Weaknesses:    Larger cogs bend very easy. I just trashed my 4th one. I have bent the 3 largest cogs on at least one of the 4.

Bottom Line:
I have used XT & XTR since the lines were created. I had never bent a cog until the 970 come out. It is junk, it just bends too easy. It does shift well prior to bending but I am moving to SRAM.