Shimano XT Cogset Cassette

3.99/5 (136 Reviews)

Shimano XT Cogset

Submitted by Carl Mare a Cross Country Rider from Nelspruit, South Africa

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth shifts, accurate. Strong enough for me.

Weaknesses:    A bit more pricey than corresponding SRAM-products.

Bottom Line:
Works well with good shifting. Light. Less expensive than the XTR. Shifts just as well. Does not have the lifespan of the XTR. Good for cross country racing. Buy it.

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PG950, PG970, PG980.

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Carbon hardtail, SRAM x9, Reba Race, Juicy 5, DT Swiss XR1540

Submitted by Stan a Cross Country Rider from Sandy, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2005

Strengths:    11 to 34 tooth cogs

Weaknesses:    Expensive, my set broke after 11 months, no warranty

Bottom Line:
Rode for 11 months, with all the good reports on this product I ended up with a lemon. A portion of the 3rd largest cog broke off, during a ride. Not sure when, noticed the shifting was funny, just thought I needed a derailer adjustment. Got home, cleaned the bike and noticed the broken cog. I dont consider myself a hard rider on equipment, most likely broke on one of the uphill sections. Guess I will try and find one on ebay, they are fairly expensive, I liked the 11-34 tooth cassette and not sure of any better or less expensive alternatives.

Favorite Trail:   Mid Mtn. Park City, Ut.

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Deore 11-34, XT 11-32

Bike Setup:   Ventana X5 Spinergy wheels, XT shifters, XT Crank, XTR derailers, Chris King Head Set, Marz. Bomber and RP#

Submitted by David Santillan a Weekend Warrior from philippines

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2005

Strengths:    weight, plating doen't easily chips off, four arm looks cool

Weaknesses:    none!!!!

Bottom Line:
this cassette has been in service to me since oct of 2002... it has'nt failed me yet... i ride urban and trails... highly recommended... cheaper alternative to an xtr or an sram....

Favorite Trail:   urban, single track

Purchased At:   extreme bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   shimano lx cog set, sram 9.0

Bike Setup:   "01 santacruz bullit, marzocchi z150, raceface north shore DH XT all over...

Submitted by Jason from Modesto, CA

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
Mine last about 6 months before you can see substantial wear on the teeth. That's probably more my fault because I prefer to torque on the tougher gears instead of shifting to the "correct" gear. I'm more than happy with the way it performs. The weight is good. Look on eBay and you can find them for around $55-$65. I'm sticking with this cassette forever. Knocking one chili off for value because they are a little expensive.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX

Submitted by Adam Pippin from Dallas, Texas

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2004

Strengths:    Very lightweight, seems to last for me

Weaknesses:    none, really- may be designed for lighter riders?

Bottom Line:
I bought this cassette to replace my LX almost two years ago, and I used it on several mountain biking trips, and now I use it for commute to school. So far, I haven't really noticed a lot of wear, and I've ridden on it quite a bit. Maybe it lasts longer because I weigh 150? I use it with a SRAM PC 99 chain, which seem to work well together. Other than me not cleaning it often enough, it's been great.

Favorite Trail:   Robber's Cave State Park

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   alivio 7 speed, LX 9 speed

Bike Setup:   custom xc hardtail- drivetrain: LX crank, XT derailluers(9 speed), LX shifters, pc 99 chain

Submitted by Ryan R a Cross Country Rider from Long Island, New York

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Strengths:    Fairly Light; Compared to the LX Model
Decently Strong: Able to take a good beating while shifting
Durable: Have yet to bend a cog or round out the teeth
Shifts well: No bad skipping

Weaknesses:    a Little on the heavy side but that is compared to the XTR, Picks up trail garbage really easy but what cassette dosen't in the fall with all the leaves down. Shifts well but sometimes I think the stock one that came with my bike (LX) shifted slightly better than the XT version. Some skipping but nothing too bad.

Bottom Line:
This is a good cassette I have experienced none of the things in some of the poor reviews for it. It is far durable than the XTR cassette that was on my buddies Fuel. The XTR is far lighter but much less durable than the XT. So I decided to use the XT version. Most of the pro riders use the XT version unless you do short track XC or World cup Racing. They can afford them when they strip them out but the common folks like us should use the XT for it's weight and durablity and price. Compared to the XTR version you could buy four of these for the price of one XTR!
As for the shifting it is good but sometimes I think my heavier LX did a better job of shifting than this one does. Sometimes my chain will skip under load but it only happens when I know I'm pushing way too bid of a gear up hill. As for the bottom line I belive the Shimano XT cassette is the better one on the market it is durable enough to survive out on the trail and it is light enough not to bog down the bike on that long climb. If your looking for a new cassette look to the XT for a good one if your a racer who only uses his bike to compete then look to the XTR for weight saving, but for durablity use the XT. The cogs teeth round out way too easy on the XTR and are known to bend very easy, some pro's have had this problem in the past. For a trail bike it's great and affordable expect to replace your cassette once a season if you ride religously like most mountain biker do and don't forget a new chain at least once to twice a season and you won't have any shifting problems PEACE!

Favorite Trail:   Dirt ones :)

Purchased At:   Bike Junkie

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX and Sram X7

Bike Setup:   Specialized StumpJumper FSR XC Highly Modified!

Submitted by kent a Cross Country Rider from hong kong

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2004

Strengths:    1. best value
2. lightweight
3. choice of different cogs
4. fast changing gears even under heavy pedal
5. looks cool and shiny

Weaknesses:    a little bit expensive

Bottom Line:
I weight 149lbs, and ride agressive xc with light downhill on this cassette with 1300km.
using at 9speed 11-34 cog set

It shift lighting fast and accurate even under heavy pedaling together with XT HG-93 chain(2003),XT rear derailleur(2002), LX shifters(2002)

Half the price of XTR cassette, 20grams something heavier than XTR. Why pay for double price if you aren't racing or just for 20grams weight saving?

Highly recommend for all around use.

Favorite Trail:   agressive xc

Purchased At:   yuen long, lbs

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   01 NRS1, 02 SID-sl, xt disc 6", mavic F519 with DT onyx hub
mainly xt drivetrain

Submitted by JaKo a Weekend Warrior from Truro, NS, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Strengths:    Fairly light and great range.

Weaknesses:    The cogs are very "sensitive" to the stuff we ride through -- twigs and sticks. Fortunately a scredriver and pliers would "fix" the bends ...

Bottom Line:
XT used to be a good value (before the 760). The 34 to 11 has a "big step" on 6-7th, which is OK for a causual rider, but I would like to see a bigger step on 1-2nd.

One day perhaps, we'd see an internal shifting and driveshaft instead of the chain and deraileurs ...

Favorite Trail:   the well known up and down variety

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Deore, LX, SRAM

Bike Setup:   MtB

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Marlborough, MA USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2003

Strengths:    Now that I'm looking for another one, I can't find a better value. Half the price for twice as long.

Weaknesses:    OK, so I got a lemon. The 4th cog snapped w/ two pieces lying on the trail. Not sure yet if I can get the local shop to fix just that cog. Bummer because the cassette is near brand new. I'm in a new area of the country and its not worth sending it all back to the original bike shop.
I like the argument about 8sp vs. 9sp is a good one. 8 sp has bigger chain, bigger cogs, and who needs 27 speeds on a mountain bike? (Looks like I kinda got my wish for 8 spds) For that matter, the big up front 44 chain ring is just a bash guard anyway that eventually flats out all its teeth. So a 16 speed would be bulletproof.
Oops, back to the subject. The XT cassette shifts fine and have had no trouble w/ bent rings on my other bikes. The XTR cassette was even fine except for the big cog, but wore out quickly. Seems that if you can get through the break in, then these things will be reasonably reliable until they wear out.

Bottom Line:
Looks like there is no better value out there. Even if money were no object, a Ti cassette w/ chronic bending and 20 miles to go is no use to anyone. For that matter, make it out of steel and market that it is a lot lighter than carrying 2 extra cassettes in your backpack. OK so 5 chili's for value and only 3 chili's until I find out I'm not going to break (bend is better than break) another cog w/ a new one.

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll 3000SX Carbon

Submitted by Nitish Nag a Cross Country Rider from Fremont, CA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2003

Strengths:    Durable, Cheap, Good looks, Great Shifts,

Weaknesses:    Not as light as XTR,

Bottom Line:
This the best value in the cassette market. Nothign beats the durablity and performance of the XT cogset at the price that it is offered at. Get this if you prize value and performance.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   XTR, Deore, LX

Bike Setup:   2003 Santa Cruz Blur, 2003 XTR with discs, Progressive 5th Element Air Shock, Easton Carbon Cockpit, eggbeaters SS,

Submitted by adam a Cross Country Rider from kokomo, in, usa

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2003

Strengths:    performs well under regular riding conditions. changes gears when i need it to. looks good (when clean).

Weaknesses:    a tad expensive and shifts a little loud at high cadence. maybe that is normal, this is my first cassette purchased seperate from the bike.

Bottom Line:
it seem expensive for a cassette, but i have heard (and read) it is very durable. i hope i get my money's worth after a few thousand miles when i have to replace it instead of a few hundred miles

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   EPX Terrashark frame, mostly XT drivetrain, easton bar and stem and marzoochi MX Pro fork

Submitted by Seth a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    Good Wear. Smooth Shifting. Affordable. They have treated me well.

Weaknesses:    The interface between the cassette and the free hub has slightly worn (deformed) on the cassette. Causing annoying amount of wiggle room which results in some rattling while coasting (but this cassette is two years old, and I ride hard, so I can live with this one (I have broken two sets of cranks during the life of this cassette)). This is probably due to the large amount of torque that I generate (since I use platform pedals).

Bottom Line:
I gave up my clipless pedals about 4 years ago for platforms (to accomodate the technical trails that were spouting up everywhere here on the NW Coast). I have noticed that this puts alot more strain on the drivetrain due to increased pedal pressure (read: no spinning). For this reason I have stuck with 8 speed components, because they are thicker and therefore stronger. I have been happy with the 8 sp XT cassettes. I am about to install my 4th one since 1996.

Change your chain periodically to reduce wear on your cassette. As the bushings (?) on the chain wear, the effective engagement length between the pins increases, causing the chain to "ride up" on the teeth of both the cassette and the chainrings. Through in some mud, dust and road grit, and the teeth are forced to wear down to accomodate the "longer" distance between pins. $20 for a new chain is a lot cheaper than spending $150 on a new drivetrain.

For heavier riders or those who ride with platform pedals, use 7 or 8 speed setups. They are much stronger.

LONG LIVE 8 SPEED!!!