Shimano XT 750 9-spd Cassette

3.67/5 (27 Reviews)

Submitted by justjoshnya a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    Light, Strong, smooth shifting, lasts a long time. Sexy.

Bottom Line:
Best cassette I've used. Albeit I've never tried SRAM personally, my experience as a bike mechanic has showed them to wear out super fast. I usually get 3 chains worth out of an xt cassette

Favorite Trail:   Four Winns, Lake of the Ozarks State Park

Purchased At:   Oz CYcles

Similar Products Used:   LX and deore cassettes

Bike Setup:   08 Trek Fuel EX 8 custom build

Submitted by Tommy a Racer from Utah

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2007

Strengths:    Light and durable. A little bit heavier than the XTR but it doesnt matter hardly notice. Doesnt bend when used on uphill. Nice style,one look and you can tell its an XT.

Bottom Line:
This component is strong enough to go uphill. I've tried the XTR cassette, it bent after 2 months of use. Since i'm an xc racer I do lots of uphill ride for training. The XT cassette can handle chain stretching.

Favorite Trail:   XC, Uphills

Similar Products Used:   sram, shimano lx, shimano xtr

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Hekler frame, some FSA components. Kenda Nevagal.

Submitted by Jim Turner a Racer from McKinney, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2006

Strengths:    Tough cassette that doesn't bend.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavier than the XTR that came with my bike, but worth the switch for durability.

Bottom Line:
This is a great cassette. It has taken a beating and has stood up. I've slammed it in rock gardens, dropped it from cliffs and hammered it badly. No bends or wear after 3 yrs. Trade your XTR for this one! Buy it if you race, buy it if you don't race. The weight difference is well worth the durability.

Favorite Trail:   Flume Trail, Mt Snow, Vail

Purchased At:   RBM

Similar Products Used:   XTR ti

Bike Setup:   Klein Adroit Pro, King/Mavic, Easton seatpost and bar - 20.5 lbs.

Submitted by Matt Hawkins a Racer from Earlysville, VA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2005

Strengths:    The best cassette period.

Bottom Line:
The most durable and affordable cassette made.
XT is what you need if you pay for your own stuff, or if you work on it yourself... it doesn't wear easy and is inexpensive to replace when the time comes. I've ridden XT cassettes since the early 90's and they always take the beating EVERYDAY... I've worn out many a chain.

Favorite Trail:   Kicker

Purchased At:   The Bike Stop Culpeper, VA

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Caad 5 with Sram PC-99 and Race Face Deus with XT guerillas.

Submitted by Curtis a Cross Country Rider from College Park MD

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, reliable, good design saves weight, great range, and it's pretty when it's clean and shiny :)

Weaknesses:    None I;ve ever found

Bottom Line:
I totally agree with Dan W, these reviews make no sense to me what so ever. I have been riding this cass for 6 months now, and I still have no reason to think it won't last. XT is good stuff, and the low weight that you get with this cass is crucial if you're a weight weenie like me.

Purchased At:   Supergo (on sale)

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 5.0 on my old bike

Bike Setup:   Giant Rainier, Duke XC, XT Cass, XT fr. der, XT rear der., XT chain, LX crank, LX shifter/brake combo

Submitted by Brian Wong a Cross Country Rider from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2004

Strengths:    Not heavy, better shifting,er...good-looking? I just bought this piece few weeks ago and it performs very well in shifting.

Weaknesses:    Like everyone said, right after some easy-going rides, it started to bend especially when i cycled uphill last week. Genting Highland is one damn hard hill to ride. Maybe i used wrong gears or etc but anyway it is a shame to see shimano xt cassette performanced so badly. Although it's not a terrible bending, but it still bring down the quality of the cassette.

Bottom Line:
Although the quality isnt that good, at least the shifting is nicer a bit. By the way, i planned to upgrade to better rear derail. Hope that this cassette can help. Next time, im gonna try SRAM cassette. I heard that they performed better.

Favorite Trail:   Any Trail

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   stupid Recon Taiwan cassette.

Bike Setup:   Specialized rockhopper with deore drivetrain. Avid brake systems.

Submitted by mzzm a Cross Country Rider from Naperville, IL

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2004

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Bending often

Bottom Line:
I've now got a collection of these things due to consistent bending. People keep telling me I'm in the wrong gear and need to shift more and have less cross torque. Well, continuing to do this helped for a while and then it happened again. These are just to sensitive. I'm going to start collecting these from others like AOL CDs and start making art out of them.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   LX years ago

Submitted by mel forgues a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, looks good. Smooth Shifting.

Weaknesses:    Weak material.

Bottom Line:
I bent my cassette in two different rings just from torquing my way up hills. I would have gotten the LX as a replacement but my LBS had sold out of them. The LX is much stronger and more reliable. I upgraded to the 760 XT and we shall see how that goes. I am going back to LX for my next cog set. Cheaper is better in this case. The only advantage the XT has over the LX is weight. If you are a aggressive rider that generates a lot of torque when pedalling get the LX version.

Favorite Trail:   moosepackers

Similar Products Used:   LX,Sram.

Bike Setup:   Xt drivetrain on a Ellsworth Joker

Submitted by Mike from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2004

Strengths:    Lights, looks

Weaknesses:    Weak-Weak-Weak

Bottom Line:
On my sixth ride on this cassette and it bent. I was climbing up a mean hill that was rocky (going pretty fast). The derailleur was being banged around. I was in the middle gear in the front and the 2nd largest in the back. That is when the chain jumped off. I walked the bike to the top of the hill. I looked at the cassette and the 2nd largest gear was bent. To show how weak it was, I was able to bend it back with my hand. If you look at the SRAM cassettes, you will notice that they have a little extra metal to provent this from happenning.

Similar Products Used:   LX

Submitted by chris schoonover from sacramento, ca,usa

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Strengths:    rigid, takes punishment well

Weaknesses:    wish it had ti cogs like xtr

Bottom Line:
The best casseste out there. unless you race and are willing to replace your casseste every 100 miles, then this is the only casseste to go with. I have 3000 miles on my bike and am only now buying my third casseste. I am only 160 but I have a high torque output and ride mainly road. I have never bent a ring at most I have only broken a tooth, and that was under to much stress upill and becuase i was in the wrong gear. This is the only casseste you should buy.

Similar Products Used:   lx, sram9.0, xtr, sram7.0

Bike Setup:   klein adroit race, full xtr(except casseste) wipperman ss chain, mars cl, bontrager racelite wheel set(chris king version)

Submitted by chris schoonover from sacramento, ca,usa

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Strengths:    rigid, takes punishment well

Weaknesses:    wish it had ti cogs like xtr

Similar Products Used:   lx, sram9.0, xtr, sram7.0

Submitted by dennis calapit a Cross Country Rider from batangas city, philippines

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2003

Strengths:    it's more lighter than my previous deore 9spd, i guess its more durable co'z i haven't bent any teeth in it

Weaknesses:    as far as of today, i haven't see anything yet, maybe a couple of decades will.

Bottom Line:
it's light, it withstand my abuses of some jumping, riding on rough sandy terrain, some muddy trails. it a far cry cheaper than its sibling xtr though i guess it works the same. if your on a tight budget and want's a high performing piece then this one's for you.

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Purchased At:   locally distributed in the philipppines

Similar Products Used:   shimano deore 9spd

Bike Setup:   cross country hardtail

Submitted by robert tarran a Cross Country Rider from Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    light, shifts ok when working

Weaknesses:    lack of strengh - bent the 2nd/3rd cogs in less than 3 months

Bottom Line:
I've only recently switched to 9 spd on my mtb so this is my first 9 spd cassette - i was expecting it to last a lot longer than this. Apparently the lx is a lot stronger so i'll try that next.

Purchased At:   KHS