Shimano XT 737 8-spd Cassette

3.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Alex a Weekend Warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2006

Strengths:    Great shifting, spider construction, shiny chrome plated finish

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Since I haven't much experience with other cassettes, and also since this one has lasted me so long, I'd say this is a rather nice product that performs well and looks the part too.

Granted I'd love to have the XTR titanium-cogged 8-speed (a self admitted gear freak, muahaha)

4 flaming chillies for value and 4 for overall rating

Favorite Trail:   Kiara and road

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   LX 8 speed, and have tried numerous 9-speeders ranging from Shimano to SRAM of friends' rides

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Supercaliber CF hardtail, XT cassette, XTR f/r mechs, XTR brakes & shifters, Deore hubs laced to generic no name rims (looking at a Mavic upgrade), Panaracer knobblies

Submitted by Peter from Washington DC

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2005

Strengths:    its light, its slick, it has very good shifting if used with the right chain

Weaknesses:    the larger sprockets are not replaceable

Bottom Line:
the cassette I got was given to me as a temp solution, after the sram 5.0 discintegrated for real and I was 3 sprockets short... I have put about 2500 miles on it total,including rough and sandy offroading, and in had about so much when I got it. replaced the chain it came with with an IG 70 and the 11 t sprocket and the thing has been solid ever since, at which I am still surprised. I have another new one, but I want to see how far this one goes. I think the stuff is good, as long as it is lubed regularly and it is used with the right chain and deraileur. So if you still dig 8 sp/ that's my favorite for mtb/ I would advise you to get one, in combo with an IG 90 chain, and a good shimano, not sram or other, 8 speed der and you'll be happy!

Purchased At:   got it used

Similar Products Used:   all kinds, sram, lower grade shimano stuff, campy...

Bike Setup:   which bike,hehehe...trek 4500, seriously pumped up...xt all over, custom wheels, avid bb7 185 db's,dj III '04 and stuff...

Submitted by Basil a Cross Country Rider from Marin CA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2004

Strengths:    Shifts great and is dependable for it's short life.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't last long enough. Shimano is taking advantage of their monopoly of the drive train business by making products that wear out in less than a year. The new nine speeds have got to be pure crap. My old seven speed gets a lot less chain suck and has lasted three times as many miles. Since I don't race I don't need all those gears. I would rather have a seven speed cassette that held up for two years than the new eight or nine speed cassettes.

Bottom Line:
These cassettes work great but wear out too fast. Shimano should make the cogs individually replaceable, since the real toll is on the two or three larger cogs on the steep stuff.

Shimano should also continue to make 7 speed cassettes for 200 lb plus guys like me that would appreciate the durablility of the larger cogs. Since I also ride in the winter the larger gear sizes are nice because they are much less likely to get chain suck. So why don't the winter cycle crosss guys ride them.

Favorite Trail:   Boggs Mountain

Purchased At:   Mail Order

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 7 speed cassette and Shimano XTR eight speed cassette.

Bike Setup:   Marin Mt. Vision

Submitted by Kevin from San Diego

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    worn out after ~1500 miles

Bottom Line:
I though XT was bombproof! These things wore out faster than my chain did! After replacing my chain ("just about time to change, not too bad though" according to the mechanic), the new one was skipping all over the place and did not align, so I have to replace the whole set. Is this normal or is there something else going on?

Favorite Trail:   Sweetwater or Corral Canyon

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycles

Bike Setup:   '98 slingshot with xt/lx/GS xray setup

Submitted by Giuliano from Italy

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
New model, new crap. This time they lasted 8 month.

Submitted by Giuliano from Italy

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Strengths:    Quick shifting

Weaknesses:    Poor durability

Bottom Line:
I had to replace it afterabout 2.5 years. Shimano doesn't make reliable stuff anymore. My old bike (LX 1992) worked hard for more than 7 years and it's still OK. After 2-3 years I already had to replace half of my XT set. Poor material.