Shimano Ultegra 12-27 Cassette

4.43/5 (14 Reviews)

Shimano Ultegra 12-27

Submitted by Stu a Weekend Warrior from Watford, Herts, UK

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2007

Strengths:    Cheaper, Lighter, closer ratios

Weaknesses:    Harder work!

Bottom Line:
Goes in no problem, forces you to ride up hill harder, which hopefully will be a good thing!

** Only one thing to note - use the lockring from your 11 speed or you will get a jumping chain and spend 30 mins trying to work out what's wrong!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Wiggle.com

Similar Products Used:   11-32 9 Speed, 12-28 8 Speed

Bike Setup:   Carbon Stumpy, Hope brakes and hubs, XT Crank, XTR mechs, USE bars etc.

Submitted by ca29er a Weekend Warrior from Wiener City

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    Light.

Weaknesses:    More expensive than XT at my LBS.
Gears too close.

Bottom Line:
As it says above, I'm a weekend warrior, not a racer. It is every weekend, and once during the week, but Lance is miles ahead of me.

I took an 11-tooth cog from an XT cassette and removed one of the middle ones. I just can't live without the 11t on the flats and downhills. I had problem shifting from 7th to 6th gear; the rearranged cogs might have been the problem.

On most uphills, this cassette had no problems. I think I got stronger because of it. I didn't miss any cog larger than 27t.

The problem is that for normal, everyday use, there wasn't enough difference between the gears. I almost always had to jump two gears to get an appreciable difference. I can see this being an advantage when you have a 100+ mile race and you want to keep your cadence at exactly 37.35, but, as I said, I don't race.

I've switched to 26-36-48 chainrings and an 11-34 cassette. I like the gear ratios a whole heck of a lot better. I only need to change one gear, and I can feel enough of a difference.

So, if you're into long races where exact cadence is important, this gear is for you. If you don't mind not having a really easy granny gear, you might enjoy this cassette. If you have seriously varied terrain and actually want to use all of your gears, then this cassette is not for you.

Purchased At:   www.bike-components.de

Similar Products Used:   The whole Shimano MTB line. Sram 990, 850.

Bike Setup:   Self-built trekking/29er. With regard to cassette: Sram X.0 rear mech, Truvative Holzfeller crank, Sram X-Gen front mech, Rohloff chain.

Submitted by Thomas Ali a Weekend Warrior from Leytonstone,London,UK

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2005

Strengths:    Light, shifts perfect, more usable gears, closer ratio

Weaknesses:    none so far....

Bottom Line:
No point in buying XT/XTR get this instead, I would recommend it to anyone who is upgrading / replacing their cassette, its good for trials, XC, DH and road! Also lot of XC racers seem to be using Ultegra rear mechs and cassettes. Ive got it real muddy but it still worked, and they are wearing at the normal rate. I dont really need 28t/32t, im powerful/light enough to get away with 12-25 with a 34t at the front. I am running these cassettes with Ultegra long and short mechs and a long XTR mech and cassettes shift perfect on all my bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Epping forest

Purchased At:   www.allterraincycles.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105 8sp 12-25 , Deore 9sp 11-32

Bike Setup:   Klein Palomino XTR Hope chris king etc 12-27
Handsomedog rockolla Ultegra Hope etc 12-25
Specialized Bighit Ultegra Hope etc 12-27

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Boudler, CO

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2004

Strengths:    Significantly lighter and cheaper than XT. Very close gear ratio.

Weaknesses:    27T isn't the easiest thing to get used to on the granny.

Bottom Line:
This really is one of the best kept secrets of mountain biking. When I first put this cassette on, it was due to some of the reviews below, as well as the price ($30 at superho right now). On some trails, I found the cassette to be perfect, on others I was cursing the relatively small granny. I then had a brilliant idea of replacing my 22T chainring with a 20T one. Right now my bike is oh so wonderful. My legs definatelly got stronger, as I "suffered" with a 27T granny on a 22T chainring upfront and now I have an additional benefit of more power on the climbs. Bottom Line: 50g less than XT cassette, less than half price! With a 20T chainring up front, you won't be able to tell the difference, unless you're a beginner and really do need the 34T or 32T granny.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT

Bike Setup:   Heavenly 26lb Burner

Submitted by Mark Forgy a Racer from Arvada, Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    Tighter gear ratio, lighter weight, more useful ratios.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes on long epics I long for something a little bit lower when I've been climbing for hours.

Bottom Line:
This gear set up is one of my secrets to my success this year in racing. While others spin away, going nowhere in there 22-34 or 22-32 world, I have the edge and more choices. I dropped to a 20t granny gear, making the 27t rear gear equivelent to 22-30, thus, dropping both grams and tightening my shift ratios. Shifting performance and durability have not been harmed at all, even on my race wheels (XTR disc wheels with a Dura Ace 12-27).

If you want a great training tip to increase power, switch to an Ultrega 12-25 for a week or two, then switch back for your next big race. You'll find you flat our fly up the climbs with huge power you never knew you had.

Favorite Trail:   Tipperary Creek

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   XT 11-32, 11-34, Ultrega 12-25, Dura Ace 12-27

Bike Setup:   2003 Rocky Mountain ETSX 50 with lots of goodies.

Submitted by Dan a Racer from Silver City, New Mexico

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    It is less rotating weight
It costs less, an Ultegra should be under $40 and Dura Ace under $70 (I paid under $60 for my current DA cassette)
It provides a low enough gear ratio for me
It shortens your chain (chain length should be two links more than what it takes to wrap around your big ring and biggest cog)

Weaknesses:    If you don't generate enough power, this isn't for you. A 32-11 gives you a 32 tooth cog followed by a 28 tooth cog, so you lose your two lowest gears with one of these.

Bottom Line:
This is a good option for me. Its lighter and provides smooth shifting. It also forces me to go faster up hill. If you want to see if its for you, check out the gears that you are using on your trails. If your not using the two biggest cogs (or don't really need to), then this is a good option for you.

Favorite Trail:   CD North

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR & XT

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Tanasi w/Shimano XTR

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Strengths:    I definately see the advantage of this cassette in flat to mildly hilly terrain, where the tight gear ratios could keep you in a smooth cadence. Oh, I cannot forget to mention that this bad-boy is LIGHT. Shifts smoothly.

Weaknesses:    I ride in the mountains, with sharp inclines and declines. I find myself double or even tripple shifting just to feel a discernable difference.

Bottom Line:
If your local trails do not contain multiple sudden and severe grade changes, this could well be the cassette for you. If you find yourself shifting back and forth between only 3 gears most of the ride (trying to find a comfortable gear that seems elusive), buy this cassette. The benefits of tight gear spacing in such a setting is undeniable. That said......

I do not recommend this cassette for MTB use for anyone who has to do a lot of shifting on their rides. If your rides contain lots of uphill to downhill, or sudden grade transitions, you will find yourself routinely shifting multiple gears inorder to hit your target cadence. I thought the tight gear spacing would really be nice, but in reality it's too tight for my style of MTB riding. I will go back to a 2X9 setup with a 11-32 cassette as soon as it is economically feasible for me again.

I'm forced to give it 1 chili, because it is a poor performer for the trails and terrain I ride.

I do, however, think that $80-$90 is one heck of a value for a high-end LIGHT weight component (particularly compared to $120ish of heavier XTR).

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   More MTB Traditional 11-28 8 Speed and 11-32 9 Speed cassettes.

Submitted by Tim Olson a Racer from San Mateo

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2003

Strengths:    More usable range, better compatability with medium cage derailleurs. Lighter, and cheaper than XTR.

Weaknesses:    Too shiny?

Bottom Line:
This cassette is great. With the XTR SGS medium cage derailleurs I've always had issues with the 32 and 34 tooth cogs making contact with my top derailleur pulley in the middle and small chainrings. When riding I would tend to not use those gears due to the annoying noise and potential damage to the teeth on the top pulley. Rather than buy a long cage derailleur I decided to buy an Ultegra 12-27 cassette, since that's about the range I was using on my XTR cassette anyway. Now the shifts are much crisper and I'm getting more even wear on both the rear cogs and on the front chainrings.

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from ColoSpgs, CO

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    Weight and more appropriate gear range as long as you choose to keep your front smallest chainring.

Weaknesses:    Wrong choice if you decide to run a 2 chainring setup.

Bottom Line:
Not a review, but a suggestion to anyone thinking of this cassette, but wishing it came in a 11-27. You can exchange the 11 tooth cog off any old 9 speed cassette you have and drop the 14 cog from the Dura Ace version.
Your result is: 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 24, 27
Infact, your weight actually drops to 181g.
Pricey, but it's fun customizing a ride to your personal preferences.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Aptos

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight but best of all I use the big cog with the small chainring. It is also easier to clean.

Weaknesses:    To wide but this is true of all 9 speed cassettes. Oh for the days of 7 speed durable nice shifting with strong chains.

Bottom Line:
I never used the 34 tooth cog on my XT so I ended up wearing out my smaller cogs every 6 months until I bought an ultegra now I use the entire cassette with the proper chainring and I was able to shorten my chain a few links for better all around tension. My chainline seems improved also due to the smaller range of cog sizes. I love it.

Favorite Trail:   Braille Trail

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   XT and SRAM

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar with X-Vert Air up front.

Submitted by Mikko a Cross Country Rider from Helsinki Finland

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    Light, 223 grams, Suitable on both road and terrain,
Small steps and durable.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
The 34 tooth ring on the XTR is just silly as you will seldom, if ever, use it. It weighs a ton too, so why not take the benefit of 9 gears by spacing them more appropriately, especially at the lower cassette sizes? That's what this 12-27 does. I use 12-25 and it enough. Did I say price??

Favorite Trail:   Any xc

Purchased At:   ET-Sport

Similar Products Used:   lx,xt,xtr

Bike Setup:   Trek STP400 (L) full custom. DT 240 hubs,Mavic 517,DT spoks,XTR,SRAM,IRD,Rockshox SID,USE,Flite,Roox,Bontrager,Titec,Maxxis,Continental,Avid component mix.Total weight 22 lbs

Submitted by steve a Weekend Warrior from Honolulu, HI

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Strengths:    better gearing selection, lightweight

Bottom Line:
This is really a secret that Shimano has kept from the MTB crowd. If you're going to use 9 gears, why not make them useful? The 34 tooth ring on the XTR is just silly as you will seldom, if ever, use it. It weighs a ton too, so why not take the benefit of 9 gears by spacing them more appropriately, especially at the lower cassette sizes? That's what this 12-27 does. For those who don't know, the road and mtb shimano cassettes are identical in size; this means you can mount it to your 9 speed hub without a problem. Likewise, your mtb 9 speed shifter works perfectly with it. Another major benefit: 185g for the dura ace 12-27 version!

Submitted by Kevin a Downhiller from Denver

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Strengths:    -i am using this for stock trials-
good gearing ratio (i have the 12-23) and its holding up well, light, strong

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
sweet cassette for stoakc trials. i tried an 11-30 xt for it and ended up wanting more of the smaller gears and a steady gain in teeth not a jump around feel of my xt. overall i would suggest this for sure for stock trials bikes.

Submitted by Jan Gerrit Klok a Cross-Country Rider from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: September 27, 1999

Strengths:
Light, 223 grams, Suitable on both road and terrain,
Small steps

Weaknesses:
Being a road cassette, mud performance could be questionned

Bottom Line:
12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27, yes, 9-spd
Always a problem with ATB-spec. cassettes was the huge gabs between the smaller cogs, especially on fast sections of trails or on the road.
This cassette can do it al: smallest 4 cogs same as full-road 12-21, biggest cogs are much like the classic 11-28 8-spd.
If you own a 22-tooth chainring, why bother buying a XT 11-32 which is heavier and more expensive?
Please note to use a non-Mega9 derailer. You need a short-cage, otherwise shorting will be slow.
Weightfreak? Buy the Dura-ace version.

Amerongen, NL