Shimano Deore XT Dyna-Sys CS-M771-10Sp Cassette

For their Dyna-Sys 10-speed system, Shimano added another cog to their venerable XT level cassette. So like the previous 9-speed versions, the CS-M771-10 XT Cassette has the same Hyperglide tooth and ramp shapes to help the chain move effortlessly across its range. The XT 10-Speed Cassette uses plated steel cogs for superior durability, but that doesn't mean that it weighs a ton. The largest six cogs are minimal in design and are pinned to two lightweight alloy spiders -- three cogs for each spider. The four smallest cogs go on separately, and the whole batch is secured with a sleek alloy lockring. This cassette is compatible with Shimano's Dyna-Sys 10-Speed shifter and rear derailleur. The Shimano CS-M771-10 XT Cassette is available with three different cog options -- 11/32t, 11/34t, and 11/36t.The cogs are configured as follows:11/32: 11-12-14-16-18-20-22-25-28-3211/34: 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-26-30-3411/36: 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth, precise, durable, light, beautiful

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I just bought my third xt casette, can't be happier. I love the way it works. I am always running it in 11/32 config, as my 29er has a double chainring of 32-24t on the front. The use is 70% commuter, 30% technical trail. Never had any issues, and I have to say I am a smasher sometimes, especially while accelerating. Everything going smooth. I would definitely recommend it to using on full suspension or 29ers, 10 speed is the way to go. Unfortunately for 26" hardtails

Favorite Trail:   Condor backcountry

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Belda Bikes

Submitted by Kerley a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth consistent shifting as always with XT equipment.

Weaknesses:    Long term durability. Wearing out quickly.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden XT stuff for the last 25 years with the exception of two sets of XTR back in the late nineties. I have always followed the format of riding for the first 1000 miles then changing the chain and doing another 1000 miles before changing out everything and it has worked for me for years with no real skipping or substantial wear issues (except with both sets of the XTR stuff but that is another story). I live in Houston, Texas and ride the south and central Texas area for 98% of my riding. I am a maintenance manager by trade and believe in documenting and analyzing my bikes performance.

I built a bike in August of 2011 with the new 2012 XT group and Dyna-Sys ten speed system. 11/36 28/40 This year we had a pretty wet winter so there were quite a few full on mud rides (7 to be specific) in the first 1000 miles. 900 of those miles were in the dirt so there was very little street riding. One of the street rides was 28 miles in a pouring rain because I was going to kill my wife if I spent any more time in the house that weekend but again, that is another story altogether. I used a wax lube which I apply the night before each time I ride so it has time to dry. I clean the chain as needed or about every 250 miles but it stays pretty clean with the lack of petroleum lube so it usually just needs to be wiped down or sprayed off with a hose. I never use one of those messy chain cleaning systems since I threw mine against a wall at the beginning of the new millennium after spilling cleaning fluid on my favorite pair of shoes at the time.

After the bike hit 1000 miles the shifting was getting a little sloppy so I went out and bought another chain and followed my tried and true format. I checked the stretch and to my surprise it had grown by about 3/8" compared to the new chain. My first ride on the new chain was dry dirt. Immediately I noticed a heavy mechanical noise but the shifting was much more responsive so I just blew it off as a new chain on old gears. About 5 miles into the ride the chain skipped at the bottom of a climb but I wrote if off to a G out at the bottom of the leading hill. By mile 15 it skipped another 3 or 4 times and by the last 5 miles of 28 I could not really push hard at all without it skipping which was a real bummer because I had picked up a couple of roadies trying out their mountain bike legs and was really trying to wipe the trail with them (which I did, but yet again, that is another story).

After that ride I took the new chain off the bike and put the old chain back on (thank God that trash day was not until Monday and I rode on Sunday). With the old chain back on the bike I rode for another 250 miles before I felt a skip again which was about 90% dirt with 3 additional mud rides. The system has just under 1300 miles on it now.

I just ordered my new front big ring (because I wanted to drop to a 38) and new XT cassette. I am going to put the other XT chain back on since it only has 28 miles on it. My local shop tried to get me to change to a Sram cassette but I decided to stick it out with the XT since most of the reviews I have found online have said the XT stuff is more durable in spite of this experience. My hopes are that the parts wore out so quickly because of all of the mud rides this year and not because the new 10 speed system has built in less durability. As I mentioned earlier, I have been riding XT equipment almost exclusively since my first bike in 1986 and this is the first wear experience I have had like this with Shimano stuff other than the XTR experiences which was a known trade off for the weight savings.

I am only giving the system 3 chilies because it blew up so quickly. I have hopes that the rain will let up and all the mud will not be a factor. I plan on checking chain stretch around 600 miles on the new stuff and I will review again at that point.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill Ranch (Smithville, Tx)

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski Sports