Shimano Deore HG-50 9-Sp. Cassette

Shimano HG50 8-speed cassette. Item Specifications Color Satin Drivetrain SpacingShimano/SRAM 8 Cassette BodyTypeShimano 8

Submitted by Christian a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2014

Strengths:    Very durable
Nice shifting
Decent finish

Weaknesses:    Weight
Not completely as stiff as XT

Bottom Line:
Haters gonna hate?

I've used this cassette on a hardtail for more than three years and it has seen at least 8000km of use, of which about 1500km were mountain biking (until I got a fully). In all this time, I never felt like this cassette had failed me, and shifting has always been pretty solid (XT derrailleur and shifters), even though the stiffer XT cassette DOES perform better. And though I destroyed 1 or 2 derrailleur hangers, I haven't bent a single sprocket. I'm pretty sure many users (which is why I don't like lending my bike) do not shift properly, and as a result, destroy some part of the drivetrain. Even if I felt like doing mad wheelies during a hard climb, this cassette wouldn't bend. I'm a rather light, but still...

As for the finish: After some time (and 2 winters with road-salt), the cassette looks a bit messy, but the nickel coating is still mostly intact. No complaints here. The chain (XT or Deore level) is going to be a bigger worry for you.
Last week, I ordered a new one, just to realize that the teeth on the old one are still fine and should last for at least another, if not two years.

So all in all, I can recommend this cassette for any use, however, most people will prefer some lighter cassettes with a spider for their aluminium freewheels on more expensive bikes. But for the price, you get an awesome cassette that won't look like an ugly, rusty cone on your rear wheel after some use. (like the HG30 or cheap 7-8spd cassettes)

Duration Product Used:   8000km

Similar Products Used:   XT cassettes

Bike Setup:   100mm hardtail

Submitted by darrinw2001 a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, florida

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2010

Strengths:    shifted well and worked great for 1st 6 months

Weaknesses:    bent really bad during a race when I hit a though short climb

Bottom Line:
here is the link to the picture on what happened on a short tough climb.. bent it out pretty bad after just 6 months on the bike.. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs468.ash1/25697_1397241501300_1540132892_31002595_4633159_n.jpg

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline

Purchased At:   stock on my 2009 Gia

Similar Products Used:   sram pg970 sram pg950

Bike Setup:   2009 Giant Trance X3 Sram x-9 shifter and rear derailuer

Submitted by Robbo a Weekend Warrior from Toowoomba, Qld, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2010

Strengths:    Well made, well designed, low price. Interchangeable from MTB to road bikes and back.

Weaknesses:    Not particularly durable.

Bottom Line:
Good gear for the money. Compare with fancy road bike cassettes that can cost $200 and don't take half the abuse.

The MTB versions of these (30T or 32T low gear) have a really good spread of gears. Ideal for all-mountain use where you want a nice low 1st gear.

Note that 9 speed HG cassettes are interchangeable (ie fit hybrid and road bikes, too). I've put one on a friend's high-geared road bike. 32T = 39% more teeth than a 23T. Works great!

Favorite Trail:   Seventeen mile

Similar Products Used:   HG70, various SRAM

Bike Setup:   Felt rxc2

Submitted by Buzz2401 a Cross Country Rider from Tacoma, Wshington

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2009

Strengths:    Shifts Well
Easy to Clean
Reliable

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I weigh 215 lbs and am pretty hard on things, and this cassette has never given me any troubles. Shifts fast and perfect. I have about 50 miles of hard XC rideing on it and about 400 street miles on it and no sign of wear yet. I guess it would help if it was lighter but then I suppose the durability would suffer. I would buy this if you are not super concerned with weight and just want a quality item that will work well for years. I would not buy this if you weigh any or all of your bike on a scale lol

Favorite Trail:   Rimrock