Real Cassette Cassette

2.1/5 (31 Reviews)

Real Cassette

Submitted by Karl a Cross Country Rider from Massachussetts

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Doesn't shift, poor design

Bottom Line:
Save yourself the 20 bucks. Buy a 30 dollar LX or Sram 7.0 cassette if your looking to go cheap. The ramps aren't cut deep enough to assist the chain, and there are no special profile teeth to help the downshift. The end result is a set-up that no amount of tuning and tweaking will ever make right. Both the Shimano, and Sram set-ups work well, for not much more money. The only thing I still use it for is my spare set of junk wheels for my trainer. I don't need to shift as much on it.

Favorite Trail:   Leominster State Forest

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   XT cassette, LX cassette, Sram 7.0 Cassette

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Moab (pre Pacific)

Submitted by Allen a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, lighter than LX, shifts well

Weaknesses:    Heavier than XT

Bottom Line:
The new steel cassettes from Real are a good deal. They shift well, and are tad lighter than LX at a great price. I had great service from Supergo, they have really turned around. I'd give it 5 chilis, but if you are a weight freak, the XT is still lighter.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   XT, LX, SRAM 7.0

Submitted by John Woodington a Cross Country Rider from Hopkins, SC

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2001

Strengths:    I originally bought it for price because it was on closeout and really cheap. It shifts amazingly accurate with my ESP stuff in all 9 gears.

Bottom Line:
This is the best cassette I've owned so far. For all of you people that complain about teeth breaking...I pedal very large gears with a cadence about half of most people. My chain usually needs replacing after 40-50 miles too. When I'm going downhill or accelerating I run through the gears like I'm trying to destroy it but it's held out so far. Tune everything up right and it's hard to break things.

Favorite Trail:   downhill singletrack

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   I've had a total of 5 other cassettes on road and mountain bikes. This is the best so far.

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2000

Strengths:    It was a good in theory.

Weaknesses:    It was good in theory. The idea of the design is cool, but the combo of steel and aluminum just doesn't work. I especially had trouble with the transitional area. (3rd and 4th rings.)

Bottom Line:
Well, I finally got my bike back together after doing a complete upgrade over the course of the winter, and I chose to pop a REAL 11/32 cassette on the rear. WHAT A JOKE!!!! After 30 seconds into my 1st ride of the season, the rear started skipping. Since the entire drive train had been replaced, I figured I just needed to fine tune everything. I took the bike back down to my local bike dealer and had them tune it up, after hours of trying to do it myself. After I got the bike back (today) I took it back on the trail. Damn it...first hill it started skipping and jumping gears like crazy. I couln'd adjust it out, no matter what i tried. Luckily my local bike shop is awesome, and will exchange it for a Shimano XTR. My old cheapo 7 speed Shimano cassette worked flawlessly, but I wanted to save on weight. I would rather ride the cheapo shimano.
P.O.S.!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Gore Mountain, NY

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 7 spd.

Bike Setup:   Caad 2, XTR RD, XT FD , Sachs Chain, Mavic Wheelsets,
Coda 44/22 expert crankset, Shimano Bracket, DXT Hubs.

Submitted by mike taylor a hardcore non-norba racer a Cross Country Rider from dallas

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2000

Strengths:    i'm sorry shimano! Maybe i dissed them for 9speed but at least their s@# works! lol revenge on the weight nerds. lol. Hopefully my 8speed lx will

Weaknesses:    last long enough to outlast the shmano 10speed 2001 system and they will go back to 8 where it was best. (7 was cool, but cassettes beat freewheels.) But somebody please tell me why the they would make individual replaceable cogs you can only buy in sets? I have had the same lx steel 8spd cassette since 98 with no probs. but save your cogs and send them to me. I'll make mix/match sets or sell each by pice to poor college studnets who need replacements.

Bottom Line:
stick with the shimano. i usually don't worry much by review, but after these i wouldn't even think of the Real!

Favorite Trail:   no pansy kiddy trails

Bike Setup:   dbr jap made hardtail that looks pretty d@#4 good

Submitted by will sherer a Cross-Country Rider from friendswood texas

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1999

Strengths:
weight and looks

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
works great, have about 170 miles on it with no problems

all of them

3 months

shimano

cannondale caad3 fattySL

Submitted by Sho a Cross-Country Rider from Santa Monica, CA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 1999

Strengths:
Some weight loss for the price. The fun of spending money on aftermarket goods

Weaknesses:
Waiting for evil to happen - nothing yet.

Bottom Line:
I bought this _because_ of all the negative reviews - I was curious what could be so wrong or what would go wrong.

I took a chance at the same time coupling the Real 11-32 cassette with a Precision Billet rear der. I was half expecting evil.I've hammered up various inclines, of various lengths, in and out of the saddle, shifting as I would any other XTR cassette and...I've had nothing but quick, crisp, clean, shifts (partially due to the derailleur too). I can't vouch for quality control from cassette to cassette, but mine's running quite excellently.I'll post more as it happens... if it happens. As a side note, Real is including the warning that you need to run an 11t lockring with the 11t cog - seems fairly straight forward.

hmmm...

less than 1 month

shimano xt, xtr - 11/28, 11/30, 11/32 cassettes.

DeKerf ltd, Prec. Billet rr. der., Kooka std. cranks, xtr shifters, blah blah blah...

Submitted by Peter P. Show a Weekend Warrior from Changwhai

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
design & Strength

Bottom Line:
I used to work for one of the venders for Real Design in Taiwan. I have no idea how much they sell the cogset in the States, but I know the price is very high. Wanna know why there are so many problems with the cogset? The cost for the cogset is unbelievely low. With this kind of price, do not expect too much on the quality.Think about it for more times before you want to spend so much money on it.

Shimano XT

Submitted by Jason Lee a Weekend Warrior from Taichung

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
aaaaaaaaaaaa lot

Bottom Line:
Real Design----Real Sucks. I got a defective one and tried to claim to Real, but no one was willing to help. People who have the same problem with me should call and ask for pay back. It does not worth paying so much and get a piece of garbage.

Shimano XT 9 speed

Trek 8000

Submitted by Joe Fekete a Racer from Cincinnati OH

Date Reviewed: June 20, 1999

Strengths:
super light,

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
this product rocks you people who are having shifting problems are using non compact lockrings that is why you are having shifting problems and because the non compact lockrings cause the cassette to play your larger cogs are breaking, get compact lockrings and you will find this product rocks.

Tsali

6 months

Shimano XTR

Litespeed obed

Submitted by Neil a Racer from g'ville, NY

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight

Weaknesses:
Very easily broken

Bottom Line:
I rode and raced this cassette 2 times and in the middle of a race the second time I used it one of the teeth on the aluminum part of the cassette bent in and made me drop out of a race. When you spend this amount of money on something you dont expect it to last 30 miles.

shimano cassetes(better)

used on a cannondale frame with spinergy spox wheels and a head shok

Submitted by erkk a Downhiller from berkeley

Date Reviewed: May 11, 1999

Strengths:
NONE

Weaknesses:
TERRIBLE DESIGN

Bottom Line:
I READ THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE WERE SAYING HOW THE SACHS CHAINS THAT THAY USED WERE THE BEST CHAINS... WELL ON THE SUBJECT OF CASSETTES AND CHAINS , THE BEST CHAIN IN THE WORLD IS THE ROHLOFF SLT 99 AND IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THAT IS THEN YOU HAVENT RIDDEN THE BEST CHAIN

side-o

less than 1 month

SHIT'MINO I MEAN 'SHIMANO'

GT XCR 2000

Submitted by Doug Taylor a Cross-Country Rider from Syracuse, NY

Date Reviewed: April 18, 1999

Strengths:
looks good

Weaknesses:
doesn't work!

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money like I did! I should have read the reviews on mtbr.com before pissing away a lot of cash on this product. I thought an 11-32 cogset made a lot of sense. Unfortunately, this cassette is a complete failure. Like other reviewers, I thought the constant skipping and dropping of the chain off the bigger cogs might be a problem with the chain or the derailleur cable adjustment. Putting on my other wheel with an XT 11-30 cogset proved that the Real cassette was the cause. Although Shimano XT doesn't have a 32 tooth cog, it shifts perfectly. The Real cassette is a complete piece of crap: frustrating to use, potentially dangerous on steep climbs. A Hall of Shame contender.

Shimano XT

XTR Rapid Fire Shifters; XTR rear derailleur

Submitted by cheech a cross-country rider from cheech

Date Reviewed: March 13, 1999

Bottom Line:

this product sux i mena it is terrible. If you have the misfortune of buying one sell it to a sucka. If i could give it 0 flaming turns i would it cost me a race

Submitted by Dave K. a weekend warrior from Torrance, CA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 1999

Bottom Line:

I was first excited about this being lighter then the XTR's. But what I didn't know is how badly this cassette works. At first I thought that I my chain streched and that was causing the slipping. But after buying both the Sachs PC-91 and the IG-90. It was still slipping. I agree with the others, in that it's a great way to bust your nuts. Piece of crap.

Need Help with a SRAM Cassette

I bought a NOS group from a forum member elsewhere, everything was new in sealed box except for the cassette. While it still seems brand new, when I removed it from the bubble wrap, the 14t cog was missing. The cassette is a XG-1080, a very nice and expensive cassette that I would like to use with m ... Read More »

Shimano slx 10 spd cassette question

I'm gonna be running a 1x10 setup on the heckler I'm building but my question is what freehub body do I need? Is the 10 speed shimano cassette the same size as a 9 Spd.? Or do I need a 10 speed specific hubRead More »

9 SPD Grip Shift used with 8 speed Cassette?

I'm thinking about changing to Grip Shift. Right now I have a SRAM X-4, 8 speed trigger shifter and some day might up grade to a 9 speed cassette. If I use a 9 speed grip shifter right now would the last click not be used due to my derailleur not letting it shift into the last click?Read More »

9speed hub compatible w/ 10 speed cassette?

I have an XTR hub from 2009 and it has 9 speed on it. I want to upgrade to 10 speed and I hope to be able to use the same wheels (cassette body). Will a new 10 speed cassette work on a 9 speed cassette hub? Thanks in advance!Read More »

Crankset & Cassette Upgrade - Worth it?

I am building up a 2012 Fuji Tahoe 2.0 29er. I have currently completed the following upgrades: Fox 32 F29 100 CTD Float Fork XTR Rapid Fire Shifters Shimano XT Wheelset KS Drop Seatpost w/ Bel Air Ti alloy saddle Easton EC70 Carbon Fiber Bar Easton EA90 Stem The bike currently has an XT rear der ... Read More »