Action tec Ti Cassette Cassette

3.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Action tec Ti Cassette

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Denver, Co.

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2007

Strengths:    Light, durable, super-super-super low gearing especially when mated with their 20t chainring.

Weaknesses:    Must readjust rear derailuer. First one recieved was defective.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Action Tec ti. 39 tooth cog. The first one I recieved was "potato chip" warped out of the box. Sent it back and they promply mailed me a good one. I grafted it on to my cassette. It took some adjusting (putting max tension on the derailuer) to get it to shift into low. I still can't get it to shift into low and high but lossing high dosn't matter to me. I also installed their 20t ti. chainring. I'm a 52 yr. old that rides endless steep Colo. trails with a heavy freeride bike and this super-super low gearing is the bomb! You can climb with much less strain. Russ at Action Tec was very helpfull with advice.

Favorite Trail:   Apex

Purchased At:   Action Tec

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant Reign 2.

Submitted by Mike Merlin a Racer from Hope Valley RI

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Strengths:    Light, crisp, strong, solid performer, stiff

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
Granted its been less than a month but this cassette shifted flawlessly (in semi muddy conditions). You can feel the difference at the pedals. Although, I am concerned about the individual rings tearing into my King cassette body BUT I'm using this wheel set up (King/Bontrager Action tec cassette) as race wheels primarily so it shouldn't be too much of a factor. This is probably the 2nd greatest improvement to the bike thus far. (The first was installing the FSA carbon pro ISIS crank set up). Shifting felt solid and thus far no ghost shifting. I did have concerns (of course after I purchased the cassette) of compatability between SRAM XO r derailluer and the cassette. And again so far so good. I purchased this cassette mainly because there wasn't a high-end 8 spd 11x32 cassette available from anyone else. (SRAM weighs too much...I know what you're thinking but...Its going on my race bike and it is a Merlin, that would be like purchasing an H2 instead of a HummVee)
BOTTOM LINE: Buy it if you race.

Favorite Trail:   yellow trail arcadia, MT SNOW race course

Purchased At:   Cambria, installed/dialed in at Victory Cycles, richmond ri

Similar Products Used:   XTR, SRAM,

Bike Setup:   Merlin FatTiXL: FSA Carbon Pro ISIS, FSA Extreme Pro Ti Ultimax ISIS BB, SRAM XO r derailluer, SRAM PC-59 (?) 8 speed, XTR F derailluer

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, Smooth Shifting, Strong

Weaknesses:    None anymore thanks to Action Tec Support

Bottom Line:
I ordered my cogset to help take some weight off of my previous bike, and I was impressed when it took over almost a pound off my old XT cassette. I replaced all of my drivetrain at the same time, and couldn't wait for first ride. After climbing for almost 6 miles in the 32 (so much nicer than my old 28), got to top of the mountain for fast fire road descent. Shifted into the 11 and went to go take off and the chain skipped. Tried taking out and shifting back in same thing. After LBS looked and looked came to conclusion chain was resting on the space between the 11 and next cog. Emailed Action-tec who was on vaction, and had a reply before they were supposed to be back. Talked to Russ on the phone, and he had me send the cogset back so they could look. About a week and half later received it with a new spacer and all my original parts. I put the new spacer on and boy what a difference. This thing shifts great. I haven't had the experience of the previous posts with the shifting, in fact mine has less errors than my previous cogset. The cogs have eaten a little into my Hugi 240 freehub body, but not enough to where we couldn't get them off easily. I have to complement Action-Tec on the service they gave me, couldn't have asked for anything better.

Favorite Trail:   Signal Peak Race Course

Purchased At:   Twin Sisters Cyclery & Fitness

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT, SRAM

Bike Setup:   Da Vinci custom FS, Action Tec Ti, Dean Ti, Avid, IRD, DT Hugi, Da Vinci, etc.

Submitted by Splat a Weekend Warrior from Columbus

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2001

Strengths:    none that aren't out weighed by the weakness

Weaknesses:    just read the review

Bottom Line:
well here is what I have to say first off I read in MBR that action tech's cog set
(notice cog set not cassette more on that later) shifted as well as any xt that they
had ridden well when talking with the tech I found that it was his bike that they
rode. That is probably what made all the difference because after months of
tinkering with the derailur and trying several brands of chains rolloff, taya and
shimano I could never get it to shift as well as a shimano setup even after repeatd advice from the Tech. and help from a very good local bike shop mechanic.
so I swapped it out with an xtr which is only 20 grams heavier by the way and
somewhat cheaper. now for the cog set verse cassette. a cog set is just that each
one is it's own seperate chaining I didn't realize it at the time and payed the
price during the removal process that chris king specifically says not to use this
kind of setup on any aluminum spindle which is most high end hubs that I am assuming
that you are planing on using since you are considering this
cog set. the reason being is that it chews up the spindle the the cogs go on because
it is not one solid piece that slides on to the groves of the spindle like a
cassette and let me tell you that made for a royal pain about and hour and half
worth, of some creative thinking to get the cogs off.that wouldn't happen if you had a stainless
steal spindle but that would far out weigh the twenty gram saving over shimano and make
the whole thing pointless now wouldn't it.
So the bottom line is don't waste your time and money because unless you are the
engineer that designed the damn thing it will never shift as smoothly as the big
Shimano. if I could I would give it a negtive rating but I'll just pretend that they are flamin' turds instead

happiness is being coverd in mud

Favorite Trail:   all that goes DOWN

Purchased At:   http://cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   Sram and Shimano

Bike Setup:   Conejo ap5/at, raceface next cranks, The Rest of drivetrain is xtr

Submitted by greg a Racer from mason, oh

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2000

Strengths:    Ti, light weight

Weaknesses:    does not shift correctly, consistantly

Bottom Line:
I used the cassette for less than a season, talked to action tec about gore cables (which i already had), used the special pulley.......at best it would shift O.K.
went back to xtr now the action tech ti sits on a shelf in my basement.
let me know if someone is interested in buying it. i will not give it high marks though.

Favorite Trail:   caverun network

Purchased At:   cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   xtr

Bike Setup:   seven sola xtr raceface speed dream wheels

Submitted by Splat a Weekend Warrior from Col, OH

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Strengths:    lightest cassette on the market

Weaknesses:    setup see below

Bottom Line:
I just purchased this cassette and it was shifting poorly like someone below said his
was. well i called action-tech and told him how it was shifting what it was doing is as
follow first it would shift up 7-8-9 just fine but when you went down more than one
gear it wouldn't line up correctly and you would have to hit the up shift to keep it
from chattering. the other thing that it was doing was in the upper 3 gears the chain
would slip but only under heavy load.
i was not ready to give up on it like the other person did so i contacted action-tech
(530)286-2695 http://www.action-tec.com/ and talked with Russ. this is what i
learned that on a shimano cassette that you need to be using an 11 tooth jockey
pulley (the upper one) and that there is a jockey pulley spacer that comes with the
cassette that needs to be installed it doesn't matter what side. it takes up slack or the
lower tolerance space that shimano allows. that accounts for the poor downshifts
because the jockey pulley has a small amount of lateral play usually to little to feel by
hand. it will not line up correctly usually on the downshifts but it can be on the uptight
also he told me. putting on the spacer should take care of that.
as for the slipping Russ told me to adjust the jockey pull in to the point that it touches
the cog and then back it off just enough so that it doesn't drag s to decrease the
angle on the chain between the cog and the jockey pulley to as small as possible. If
that didn't work to put the b adjust spring on the higher tension setting.
he also mentioned replacing the cables with gore-tex cables but since mine are brand
new Teflon cables i didn't think that was neccesary.

I will update this after i have done the above and let everyone know how it went

Favorite Trail:   Anything that go DOWN